Author Topic: Engine Overhauls  (Read 10364 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by RandomTiger

I still dont know what you are talking about but if its linked to texture sections it may well be broken. Could you give me any info you have on it and which missions (if any) in the FS2 files use it. Or supply me with an example mission.

Virtually all of the FS2 missions from Volition use it...I use it relatively frequently and I'm sure others who know what it does use it as well.

Here's the details.

In FRED2, if you go to Editors > Background Editor and add one of the planets from the list.

Now, at 1x1 (without stretching) its pretty good looking.  Looks like a planet.  Now, if you take that and blow it up by 4 or 6 times (a very common useage for nebulas and a little less common for planets) you'll notice in the editor that it gets a little warped and in game it just doesn't look like a sphere anymore...it looks oval.  While planets are indeed oval because of spin in real life, they are never going to be that oval :D

The divider is just below the Scale.  It says # of divisions (x/y).  From what I was told, this takes the PCX file and divides it by the number you specify in those two areas.  Default is 1, Max is 4.  For planets I usually set it at 4 to keep it looking mostly round.

Its definately not a perfect system...but it works very nicely anwyays and its probably something that shouldn't be broken.

Again, I have no idea if what you disabled has anything to do with this piece of code but seeing as its used very frequently in FS2 retail missions (and probably for good reason) its probably not something that should be broken if it is at all.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

...I know what *a* view matrix is, what I need to know is how *the freespace* view matrix works.

Umm...I really don't think there's anything special about it. Just normal 3x3 row matrix. Should there be something special in it?

Currently I use the View_matrix as a world tranformation and the actual D3D view matrix is the identity matrix (or 0). It doesnt work the other way around.

Are you sure you're building your matrix right? Or are you even constructing a 4x4 matrix? Since I'm more into OpenGL I actually don't even know can you send ahead a 3x3 matrix and a vector combo instead of a 4x4.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's the right, up, and forward vectors, in that order, I don't think it relates to the matrix used in DX
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Bobboau
it's the right, up, and forward vectors, in that order, I don't think it relates to the matrix used in DX

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope your right, will check tonight.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by IceFire

Virtually all of the FS2 missions from Volition use it...I use it relatively frequently and I'm sure others who know what it does use it as well.

Tell you what, whats your gfx card type? Why dont I give you an exe and you can test it for yourself? Send me an e-mail.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

Tell you what, whats your gfx card type? Why dont I give you an exe and you can test it for yourself? Send me an e-mail.

E-mail sent.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."