Author Topic: to port or not to port?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline aboyce

to port or not to port?
just got FS1 and silent threat today!!!;7  

neway which way would be best to play the campign for the first time ported or not ported (BTW I was awere I could play the campaign by jst downloading FS port but I wanted the vids) and would I be missing anything by playing it ported?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
to port or not to port?
Nothing, but you'd need to transfer most of the data manually from FS1 to FS2.
....and music could be tricky.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
to port or not to port?
First play the original, then play the Port. :nod: The original has all the sound and movies anyway.

Offline Solatar

to port or not to port?
Originally posted by Goober5000
First play the original, then play the Port. :nod: The original has all the sound and movies anyway.

:yes:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
to port or not to port?
Actually, no Goober this time you're wrong.
Well...in a sense. You're right that the port doesn't have all the data.
But you can manually transfer what's missing from FS1 into the FS-Port.
Check their thread in the forum - they have a discussion about media availablity.
That tells you where each vp of file goes...you need VP view to do that, but IMHO that's a must have for any "FS freak" out there.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
to port or not to port?
origional, then port...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

to port or not to port?
I couldnt play FS1.  Id get to the lancher, hit play, and wait a week or two for something to happen.  Which it never did.

Damn...
#Bal kote, darasumm knte,
  Jorso'ran kando a tome,
  Sa kyr'am Nau tracyn kad, Vode an#

- Traditional Mandalorian war chant

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
to port or not to port?
Originally posted by Flaser
Actually, no Goober this time you're wrong.
Well...in a sense. You're right that the port doesn't have all the data.
But you can manually transfer what's missing from FS1 into the FS-Port.
Check their thread in the forum - they have a discussion about media availablity.
That tells you where each vp of file goes...you need VP view to do that, but IMHO that's a must have for any "FS freak" out there.

eh...

I've played both FS1 and the FS1 Port.  And I've played the Port with all of the FS1 data - voices, cbanims, and everything.  ( I am on the Port project, after all. :ha: )  However, it took quite a bit of time to extract everything and package it up for play in FS2.  While it's well worth it, it may be a little too much work for someone who's not familiar with that kind of thing.

Plus, FS1 merits play on its own sake - even if only as a dramatic foil to FS2's greatness. :)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
to port or not to port?
Originally posted by Deathstorm V2
I couldnt play FS1.  Id get to the lancher, hit play, and wait a week or two for something to happen.  Which it never did.

Damn...

What are your system specs? What OS?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
to port or not to port?
Yo, Deathstorm - you need the patches for it. Find them on the official website, or if you want, I'll mail them to you. :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
'Sides, the original has the original graphics engine. It kinda enhances the overall experience, even if it's not as good.

Dont worry - I sent my copy back and it has since disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Damn... Again...
#Bal kote, darasumm knte,
  Jorso'ran kando a tome,
  Sa kyr'am Nau tracyn kad, Vode an#

- Traditional Mandalorian war chant

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
I guess you could get somebody to burn a copy for you, but I'm not sure if that's legal....

Anybody know anything about this? I know it's OK to do this for FS2, cos the source is public, but what about FS1?
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No, no, no.  It's legal to do that for FS2 because the license agreement says so, not because they released the source code.  I see nothing in the FS1 license that says you can copy it.