Author Topic: Freespace bug  (Read 4590 times)

Has anyone ever had this?

I just got a new computer so I made a fresh install of Freespace 2, updated it to the latest version. Whenever I play it, I simply can't use the afterburner. I press the button for it, it makes the afterburner noise but there is no velocity increase. Its not a problem with the new keyboard and not recognising keys or anything.

Have anyone had this and know a way of fixing it? Or will I have to reinstall yet again?

Thanks,
Jack

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that is the absolute weirdest bug I have ever heard of for any game ever
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Bobboau
that is the absolute weirdest bug I have ever heard of for any game ever

You haven't played Half Life yet.
I got another bug in FS1, which is even better or worse(depends on how you understand)
I haven't encountered this problem yet, I just suggest you some things:

1. Attempt another reinstall
2. Make sure you do not have customized TBL, and any sort of data.
3. Rebind the key. (It's TAB as default, set it to for example CAPS LOCK, and give it a try)

Please note these are merely suggestions.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Originally posted by TopAce

You haven't played Half Life yet.
I got another bug in FS1, which is even better or worse(depends on how you understand)
I haven't encountered this problem yet, I just suggest you some things:

1. Attempt another reinstall
2. Make sure you do not have customized TBL, and any sort of data.
3. Rebind the key. (It's TAB as default, set it to for example CAPS LOCK, and give it a try)

Please note these are merely suggestions.

Yes, I've done all three of those and it still doesn't work. :( wtf?!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
How sad, the I am afraid I have no other suggestions 4 U, sorry!

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

OK, so I've tried reinstalling FS2, made sure there aren't any mods installed, tried binding it to different keys, all to no effect. I also tried switching keyboards.

Heh, if anyone would be kind enough to e-mail me their FS2.exe it'd be really appreciated. The game is practically unplayable without afterburners.

[email protected]

Jack

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The game is playable without afterburners, just a bit too difficult. :)
Want to reinstall windows? :D

Offline diamondgeezer

Tried whacking a SCP exe in there?

Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Tried whacking a SCP exe in there?

Yeah. Error still occured. I guess someone sending me their .exe won't help.

Reinstall windows? I only just installed XP with the new computer I got on Tuesday........................ :rolleyes:

This is very very bad. :(

Offline Xers

Do you use any game controllers? (Probably sounds like silly question but you'd be surprised how many people actually use keyboard and/or mouse for fs.)

If you have a game controller try unplugging it and load fs and try the afterburner to see if it works again. And if you have more then one try unplugging one controller, load fs, try out afterburner. If afterburner still don't work unplug another controller and try again, and keep doing that until the afterburner on kb finally works again or until all controllers are unplugged and then try it without any game controllers connected.

I say this because I remember having this problem once and I had two controllers connected. A joy and gamepad and I think I unplugged the gamepad and the afterburner key on the kb worked again.

Offline Steel

• http://www.rlgaming.com
when reinstalling, make sure you do an unintsall and delete the directory it was in before you reinstall...
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury
http://www.wings-of-fury.com

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Isn't it the fault of Windows XP? :confused:

Programs can do unbelivable things on not-optimized operation system. You know when FS2 was released, there weren't a single word about XP, at most at Microsoft HQ.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by TopAce

Would that be the one with the Subspace drive de-activating for extremely long periods of time? And every time you press Alt-J you hit 40M/s and it aborts? I hate that one...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Hippo

Would that be the one with the Subspace drive de-activating for extremely long periods of time? And every time you press Alt-J you hit 40M/s and it aborts? I hate that one...

No, that's not a bug, it is only to make the game more difficult for the human player. My bug is that my keyboard sometimes remains locked, and doesn't allow me to use any keys, including the 'all-solving' key function of CTRL-ALT-DEL :). It remains locked, and it does the function continously I last pressed. So if I pressed Fire before keyboard lock switch on, it fires continously for a minute or two. Very nerve-killing.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
i don't think mine is supposed to happen... it happens in random missions... not just with a never-warp sexp...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 04:12:56 pm by 681 »
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
We still haven't answered Assasin to his question. I think he gave up visiting this topic. :)

Heh, no I'm still here. I've done everything suggested, including replacing mouses and keyboards, to no avail. I'm going to try one last reinstall on FS2, making sure I delete everything. "One last line against the night."

Wish me luck.

The last line against the night was quickly crushed by the invading bug forces.

Arse.

Has anyone with XP ever had, and fixed, this problem?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Did you check your table files?  Make sure the afterburner actually increases your speed. :nod:

Originally posted by Goober5000
Did you check your table files?  Make sure the afterburner actually increases your speed. :nod:

Yes, no mods installed and the standard V table files are perfectly number.