Author Topic: (IMG) As the rift between our species grew...  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
(IMG) As the rift between our species grew...
As the rift between our species grew, so too did the frequency of attacks between our peoples. It seemed as though the 14 year war was about to be reborn, but with modern, deadlier weaponry.

Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
The fighter-fire sucks and the green-beam aren't spectacular enough.

The fighter-fire should be ovular, smaller, less frequent and non-linear.

The green-beams should get waaaay bigger in the fore-ground and have white, chocolatey centers.

Infact, make everything bigger.

And some motion-blur wouldn't go amiss.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 06:50:29 pm by 397 »
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Those beams are propper perspective. Only the signature is post prod.

But yeah, the lasers are too big... And I didn't like the white center beams.

With enough comments, I'll re-work.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I don't know whats happening in that pic, but its a very exciting and pretty something...

Just first impression, it looks really cool as a whole. The background is very nice.

Basically, make the beams more "powerful" by making them a bit bigger and have a white middle. The fighter bolts should be smaller and sparse-er. Also, try making them nonsymetrical, as in the left and right gun pods should't fire at the same time.

I would recommend re-doing the placement of the ships altogether. A few of the fighters looks ok, but the cap ships are too far off, and I don't know what that tringular thing in the top-right corner is. You need to make it either a "close up of a capship (not full view) with other ships seen fighting near it (like the FS2 cover art)" or a "fleet movement" where you get to see several capital ships moving in formation, essentially having the enemies "clash" in the middle. Think of medieval armies, with both sides charging each other, and in the center of it you have the fighting.

If however you want to retain the original concept of the pic, I suggest you take a look at some of Dark's art in the Image Galleries, he's got some awesome pics of this sort.

Hope that helps. Tha background really cool]

edit: the explosion are good, keep them. As well, it may just be my monitor, since it tends to show things as overyl dark, but most of the ships are just black silouttes. You should work on the lighting of the ships, make them lighter to shows of their details. If you could get the explosions  to cast light onto the ships, that would looks really nice.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 08:48:46 pm by 644 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The darkness is probably you're monitor. And that "Triangle thing" is the rear half of a sobek. The image has a Deimos cutting a Sobek in half.

Thanks for the input. Any more? :D

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
why are the beams all pixelated?
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
You know, I never trusted those damn Vasudans.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Carl
why are the beams all pixelated?

cheep compression in PSP8

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Beams look like Tie Lasers :p

Otherwise, take an0ns suggestions. :nod:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline J.F.K.

Apart from all the gripes already mentioned, very pretty. :)
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
The Nebula is very Nice :nod: :yes:, on the other hand Beams look nice with the white :p, but a better idea is either to use a 3D prog to do them or think of some visual fx like use the polygon lasso tool and after creating a white selection, create a new layer and use a particles filter and change the blending modes to make the beam blend in nicely. You can also try cutting parts of the white as well - this can be seen done on the Freespace2 cover box...

btw some good advice that I find useful for renders that contain a lot of generic special fx... spend lots of time here and there thinking of what ways you can create prototype effects especially for weaponary, then chose the best one done in your PS/PSP/EQV editing program and fine tune that and wella :D you have effects that will always be there for re-use.

I haven't used PSP for a long time either so I with PhotoShop I know there are actions or command functions you can save and re-apply to the graphic, which in my domain saves time...;)

Still that is one Nice :nod: nebula

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
I was going say 1 more thing - nearly everyone here does seem to use explosions premade, you can make those in PSP/PS and very nice ones might I add..:D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Alright, alright...

I'll fix according to *gulp* an0n's advice...

Like that nebula, eh? I made it in TS too. :p Probably why it took so long to render.

BTW: Max, there is _no_ Post production. The beams are done in TS, it's just that I didn't want that cheesy cartoon look that TS likes to give me all the time.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
just a few "maybe" stupid recommendations on explosions use volumetrix and HV partigon emitters and lotsa point ligts not copy/paste explosions ;) the beams need a white inner part for that you should use the X beam method (better)..... and i like the fighter pulses how they done?
I hate My signature!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
If the fighter pulses were done post-render than just blur them a bit...I think that will remove any of the hard edges and make them a little less jarring....I love the picture and its sense of narative however.  Very well done.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The beams are made by having 4 planes, 45 deg. -45 deg. 90 deg. 0 deg. The pulses are 3 planes stretched to make the 3 elipse system in FS, and if anyone is willing to show how to make better explosions I'll be willing to try it.

Remember: TS6. No Post Production.

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
It looks great ;)
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

I actually like the fighter lasers...

green beam needs work...

Shield impact needs work...

and try bringing the Fenris and...Aten (I almost forgot the name of that cruiser :p ) closer to the camera and get the fenris firing at the vasudan fighters, or something like that.

But other than that, it looks good...but it needs a bit of work, which is alright, no-ones perfect!

Cor

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Stryke 9
You know, I never trusted those damn Vasudans.

Yeah. They're sneaky buggers.

As for the render, it's nice, but I don't like the fighter laser blasts.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Knight Templar
take an0ns suggestions. :nod:

Three words I would never have imagined to see in a row. :eek:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!