Poll

What do you think of dud missions?

Yes!
3 (10%)
No!
2 (6.7%)
No opinion...
2 (6.7%)
Fine, as long as they expand the storyline.
15 (50%)
I get tense a lot, I wouldn't mind a few missions of talking.
1 (3.3%)
Sure, but give me something to do with my time!
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: July 24, 2003, 04:09:15 pm

Author Topic: Dud missions?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
What's your feeling on dud missions? Where you warp in, and it turns out nothing happens? Like the convoy that was supposed to be their was late, or something? I.E. The missions are used purely as something to relieve stress, or to explain the storyline more.

Offline Solatar

I don't mind them as long as they:
a) explain the plot a little
and
b)you get to blow stuff up.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I have a couple planned for TMA I won't spoil it by saying if we have any planed for MG.

Personally I like them as long as they aren't too long and advance the storyline. Leaving the player sitting around for 4 minutes when nothing happens is pretty unforgivable.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I've done a few of them. Not duds necassarily, but Patrol missions, although mostly there's a short burst of action at the end. But generally, I fill them with mounds of informative pilot chatter ;)
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
would the mission in Inferno( :yes: )where you go around and just scan the ships that come in through the portal be considered a dud mission? Not much really happened except it gave me an idea how big the EA fleet really was...
so i guess it advanced the plot a little....
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I like those missions a bit. Like when you're in a captured dragon fighter, scanning all shivan ships enterring system. If it takes a bit of strategy that shooting is not required for, yes.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Drew
would the mission in Inferno( :yes: )where you go around and just scan the ships that come in through the portal be considered a dud mission? Not much really happened except it gave me an idea how big the EA fleet really was...
so i guess it advanced the plot a little....

If you took too long the EA ships would start shooting (and you'd still have to scan the enemy ships) so it wasn't a dud if you weren't quick enough :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuclear1

Well, there was a mission like that in FS1, the one where you warp in to destroy the HOL outpost.

I like those kind of missions. Twists are good, if used sparingly.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Derelict made great use of them... like the first few with the bouys... It made a lot of suff easier to understand...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Drew

yeah i REALLY like the mission where ur in the nebula and you meet the guy who was crazy and you go further into the nebula and a juggernaught jumps out...
then u wake up and it was all a dream :D
that freakied me out :D
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
And featured the most creative use of the V pirate ship ever. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Agreed. But that mission was still utterly stupid though. ^_^

Sid.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
yeah i REALLY like the mission where ur in the nebula and you meet the guy who was crazy and you go further into the nebula and a juggernaught jumps out...
then u wake up and it was all a dream :D
that freakied me out :D

same here. really good dud mission.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Hippo
Derelict made great use of them... like the first few with the bouys... It made a lot of suff easier to understand...

I am just playing that campaign, that mission was interesting and had a special idea. That is a kind of dud mission, which had a not-everyday task.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Drew

well consider, most pilots these days a "dud mission" is an every day task......
most missions pilots go on patrols not really engage the enemy much......
in derelict the war was nodes away and dud missions would probably be common place if that happend in rl...

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
well consider, most pilots these days a "dud mission" is an every day task......
most missions pilots go on patrols not really engage the enemy much......
in derelict the war was nodes away and dud missions would probably be common place if that happend in rl...

And it is also not an everyday thing what FreeSpace does very often: Four fighters have the task to destroy at least 20 another, in addition, defend a convoy, and defend all ships!

And imagine that you download a campaign which consist of 96 missions, and 75 of them are only boring patrolling, how would you grade that camp on a 1-10 scale?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Dud missions are good to use between a lot heavy action missions.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
ITHOV has a few near the end to really flesh out the story.  But if it was just a few minutes of inane pilot banter that did nothing for the story, and really was a "dud" than they serve no purpose.  I'm still considering how to make ITHOV's really interesting.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The one of the advantages of the dud mission, is that you can quickly complete it with 4x time, and these are good for FREDers to make a mission long.