Author Topic: New Guy with Questions  (Read 9033 times)

Offline magatsu1

New Guy with Questions
Hi all,
Glad to see Freespace still has some on-line activity. I thought I'd missed it all with the removal of the Violition stuff.
Anyway, may as well start with a couple of questions:
1: why does the GTD Hades appear in FRED2, but not in the game as such ?
2: anyone else had trouble with "modify-variable" in FRED2 ?
Unless I put the "event" in early, the SEXP breaks up ?!
                                               Cheers.Pete.:)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hi magatsu!

Can't help you with Question 2, but the answer to Question 1 is that the Hades is a Ship left over in the FS2 table files from an Extension to Freespace 1, I'll leave everyone else to tell you the whole story, since I could never get my hands on that particular campaign :(

Flipside :D

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
*Fire Control, target magatsu1.  Warm up the beam.  And... FIRE!*

Exits are to the sides and rear.  Personal flamethrowers are located beneath your seat in case of emergency or naughty disposition.  If you run into any Shivans while crawling through the ductwork, it's probably just Carl.  Give him your lunch, back away slowly, and you'll be fine.

As for your question about the Hades, It's a Silent Threat ship that appears in FRED but not in the original FS2 campaign. Silent Threat was an expansion pack to FS1 that involves the intelligence branch of the GTA turning against the rest of the GTA.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 12:49:21 pm by 1099 »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline magatsu1

Thanks for the replies. The Hades rebellion is mentioned in the FS2 Archive, though I'd never linked it ti the Hades ship.
Just seemed strange to have a full working model in FRED.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Why didn't they just include all the ST and FS1 ships since they included the Seraphim, Loki, Hades, and Lucifer? I recommend you get Galactic Emperor's FS1-FS2 port. It's great stuff and includes Silent Threat. I think it's at:

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/fsport
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've used modify variable a few times. What problem have you had with it? I don't quite follow what you mean when you say the SEXP breaks up.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
You'll note the Ganymede is also not in the main FS2 campaign anywhere, IIRC. And as for modify variable, I tried it once, and FRED didn;lt like it, though I'd say it was the way I was trying to use it (Modify variable A to = Variable A plus 5, again IIRC).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline magatsu1

I'll try to explain:
modify variable has 2 lines,
(variable name)
(arithmatic +)
this makes two more lines
(variable name)
(1)- adding 1 to the variable value
when i now save, it'll either add an "op" to the + (works ok)
or both parts break down into 3 lines (which don't make any sense and are different to what was put in) and FRED2 crashes.
any ideas ?

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
The Gynamede is used in multiplayer.  Other than that and what has been said about Hades, i have nothing for you.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yep, I know the problem you're talking about. Ufortunately though, I never figured ot a way to prevent it from happening. Someone else might have though (And If they have, I'd be more than happy to hear it as well :))
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline magatsu1

can get away without using it by putting in an event with lots of "and"s + "or"s but it is a little messy.

Offline J.F.K.

Welcome to HLP, mate :)
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline magatsu1

Hey Thanks.
Anyone been watching the Fresspace2's on e-bay, BTW?
One closed at £70!!!!:eek2:

Thanks for the replies. The Hades rebellion is mentioned in the FS2 Archive, though I'd never linked it ti the Hades ship.

You may also notice that during the intro cutscene to FS2, it shows the Hades crashed on the planet that the battle of Deneb took place over. (which apparently is another thing wrong with that clip, as the Hades never went near there, but I didn't finish Silent Threat).

Offline magatsu1

Yeah I did notice it. Though now I figure it's a one off ship,
(unlike Orions etc). Going off the intro it could have been just another ship nailed by the Lucifier Fleet.

Offline Cancer

the Hades not in intro of FS2 crashed at planet? or another class?
[size=10]I AM A BADASS MAN!!!!

Loser bastards[/size]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by magatsu1
Hey Thanks.
Anyone been watching the Fresspace2's on e-bay, BTW?
One closed at £70!!!!:eek2:

:eek: :eek2: :shaking:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Cancer
the Hades not in intro of FS2 crashed at planet? or another class?

Perhaps I misunderstand your post, but yes, that's a Hades-class which one you can see crashed at the surface of Deneb.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Just to clarify a bit, from what I've heard on Volition watch, the intro has a lot of problems with it, in terms of continuity or an accurate portrayal of the Battle of Deneb. The problem is that the intro was made by Interplay, not Volition.

But here are just a few things wrong:
-the Hades is crashed on Deneb. The Hades is a unique ship, and that IS the Hades on the planet. But the problem is that in Silent Threat the Hades never goes anywhere near Deneb.
-the beams from the Lucifer come from the wrong part of the hull.
-the Shivan fighter which kills the Hercules fires missiles from its gun points, and guns from its missile points.
-I think there's a Typhon destroyer there that shouldn't be, or something like that.

Basically, what the people were saying is that the intro is cool to look at. But its not really an accurate portrayal of the battle of Deneb. The intro has a lot of flaws.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Wait for Silent threat Reborn. It'll answer stuff. ;7
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read