Author Topic: Hey guys..  (Read 9436 times)

how are ya doing over here? Slow as usual? (haven't been here for quite a while :D)

Anyway, I guess my models aren't usable within the Freespace engine properly - clipping errors and all. And most of the newer models would simply blow the engine due to polycount ;)

Like this one for example ;) (forum hijacking, watch it! ;))
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 10:54:08 am by 1192 »
cya Challenger
if you want a Dominion-exterminator - you've got him
n00b pilot. :p

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
1. Nice model :yes:
2. As I am still to be considered a new guy at SW-C, I daren't say we are proceeding slow(I don't want to be banned from this forum), because I don't know what the others(GalacticEmperor, KARMA, Black Wolf) are doing in the background.
3. Polycount is not a great problem with FreeSpace Models, FS engine is now old., and many people are now having very powerful machines(Above 1200 MHz, more than 128 RAM and at least a 64 Megs videocard), so do not worry about the polygon number. Larger problem is that it is unLODed(as I presume)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 09:47:00 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by TopAce
3. Polycount is not a great problem with FreeSpace Models, FS engine is now old., and many people are now having very powerful machines(Above 1200 MHz, more than 128 RAM and at least a 64 Megs videocard), so do not worry about the polygon number. Larger problem is that it is unLODed(as I presume)

This is true. However a 5k polycount on a common ship in mission would kill FS2 stone dead. Nice model though. :yes:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Well, this model would certainly cause major trouble for you as well.. as far as I remember,  FS doesn't like intersecting model parts too well.. this model has LOTS of them. ;)

Anyway, looking here at the forum, I am somehow disappointed.. I hardly can see new screenshots.. so progress must be pretty slow (no offense, please :))
cya Challenger

Offline Cancer

how old this project?
when complete?
[size=10]I AM A BADASS MAN!!!!

Loser bastards[/size]

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Cancer
how old this project?

I'm not sure.

when complete?

When It's Done.™:thepimp:
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
That was a useful post, Woolie :lol:
It hardly looks that something will become of this project this year. we'll see what the project leaders(forum moderators) will say once they return from their holidays.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
KARMA on holiday... GE in the middle of nowhere... not much can be done :'(
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Hippo
... GE in the middle of nowhere...

In space? :D

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
yo challenger, nice to hear you again:)
fs2 engine has been upgraded a bit now(it's open source), and a lot of the problems with intersections have been solved
nonetheless I still tend to prefer solid meshes when possible, since they work better and cause less performance hit (IIRC intersections need to be solved by the zbuffer by generating new triangles around the intersection)
and 5k polys is also probably a bit too much for our standards
nice looking model anyway:) (althought textures may need some more work:p)

oh and about when this projects will be completed...
when it's done obviously:p

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I don't want to be sceptic, but why the hell does a model need 5000 polies at all? I think any starships with around 2000-2500 polies are looking quite nice.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 03:24:33 pm by 1079 »

well, we've moved on to Haegemonia, Bridge Commander and so on.. so we use the higher ability of these engines - Haegemonia, for instance,  can use 10,000 polies easily for battleship class ships. Like MonCal in the Star Wars Fleet Command mod, so this is a fairly low polycount :D
cya Challenger

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Low polycount for today ... but high polycount for FreeSpace.

Ships looked ok but to tell you the truth if you lowered the polly count on them but used the same textures they would convert over to FS2 just fine (A ship dosen't need more than 3000 pollies( take it from me, a decent texture job will make even a 20KM brick look good!) I was impressed with the 115km star Destroyed I accidently converted. If only the textures were sharper it would have been nice). When you convert an opt file to 3ds make sure you click on "convert to one unit scale" otherwise you end up with a fighter as big as a planet and a cap ship as big as a few planets!!!

"Sir! We're being attacked by a 30km tie fighter!" :lol:

I gave up on Bridge commander cause like with Hega I disliked the gameplay (Klngon academy was much SUPERIOR)plus there are few RTS I like... I'd rather be in the cockpit taking those ships apart then simply dragging windows over units and ordering them to fight... Plus with voice commands it's really cool being the wing leader, your hands never hand to move from the joystick or the tab button (afterburner)... I even change my secondary loadouts when I want to that way...(I'm lazy) :D
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

you'd be surprised how impressive higher polycounts can look like ingame. At least my friend was struck in awe when his Star destroyers were engaged by our new B-wing starfighters (1249 polies) and these new MonCals. ;)

[edit] Original Haege wasn't the greatest game, I agree.. but where in the seven hells would be the fun to mod a perfect game? ;) :D:D

[edit]
or do you want that baby? ;)

now that is what I call poly-heavy ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 02:14:39 am by 1192 »
cya Challenger

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
OK, put the Mon Calamari cruiser into game, and see how your FPS drops.
So much about polycount. SW-C is basically facing problems with FPS optimizations, so this amount of polygons are very BRUTAL anyway.l

Into which game? When I put it into Haegemonia, the FPS average was about 10% higher than with normal human cruisers (same amount) :)
cya Challenger

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Now put it into FreeSpace 2. If you can.
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

I wouldn't dare. ;)
cya Challenger

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Exactly. It wouldn't work!
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat