Author Topic: The Lucifer X  (Read 13524 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Continued from the other thread. Here's the concept art:

No pics for you! This model has been acquisitioned by Twisted Infinities.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 04:26:46 pm by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Haven't used the girls in a while.. why not?

Don't really know what to change or say, other than it rules. Just make sure to do an equally awesome texture job. And is that a fighterbay on the belly?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
looks nice, even if the back end is different. but to me that's a cruiser, not a super destroyer.
make it a cruiser, please, shivans have, what? 4 or 5 cruisers, including the existing ones, and at least 10 destroyers, plus more juggernaughts, etc.
I'm fed up with large ships, want more small ones.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
but if it was a cruiser, it'd be a Cain rip. ;) :p
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Very nice mesh, now lets see it mapped :p

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Knight Templar
but if it was a cruiser, it'd be a Cain rip. ;) :p

nah, it's clearly different. plus I like the idea of having a basic ship design, and many versions derivated from it, anyway. gives consistency to a species that lacks that the most ( you gotta admit that bare the colors and the spikes - well, if you look, spikes are far from behing everywhere...- shivan ship designs are a bunch of random shapes that share no real distinct point -the triangle cockpit could have been it, but half the ships don't have it.  )

well, this ship looks like a cruiser, anyway, it would just look wrong if it was bigger.
SCREW CANON!

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I'm with Venon on the crusier concept. The Shivan's have far too many destroyer+ sized vessels (I think at the moment its 12), and they've only got a few meagre crusiers.

Perhaps if the Lucifer X was a prototype being constructed during Inferno then it would be acceptable, otherwise you've got the Lucifer and the lucifer X in the same fleet at the same time.

Still, produce it anyway and make it look good, then give it to the Inferno crew, and maybe they could fit it into the storyline somewhere round the corner.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Venom
looks nice, even if the back end is different. but to me that's a cruiser, not a super destroyer.
make it a cruiser, please, shivans have, what? 4 or 5 cruisers, including the existing ones, and at least 10 destroyers, plus more juggernaughts, etc.
I'm fed up with large ships, want more small ones.

hmm.. perhaps a little bigger than a cruiser yet smaller than a corvette perhaps?
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The Shivan's have far too many destroyer+ sized vessels (I think at the moment its 12), and they've only got a few meagre crusiers.

Infernos Shivan capship list (minus a few fs2 ships we aren't using)

SC Rakshasa
SC Lilith - the new one
SC Raguel
SC Abel

SCv Moloch
SCv Scylla
SCv Bryn
SFg Damini

SD Ravana
SD Iblis
SD Kismat
SD Yama
SSD Diablo
SSD Lucifer

SJ Sathanas
SJ Amritaya
SPD Vinaashak
SCa Shiamak

SSJ Gigas
SH Gargant

Offline T-Man

Why would they upgrade the lilith, and then not the Demon or Cain?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Cain won't last more than a few seconds nowadays, so I only upgraded one of them.

Might upgrade the Demon if I get any ideas how to...

Offline T-Man

Whenever i've been looking at a Demon, ive always thought of the following things:

- Frontal Beam cannons (Perhaps two SReds)

- Replacing Turret-4a's megafunk laser with an SRed or LRed

- Possibly Replace the SRed on Turret-3a with an LRed to give it an almost complete sphere of heavy beam cannon coverage (it should keep its lack of rear beams for balancing purposes).

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
If I did an upgrade, I'd remove all of it's turrets, bump it up to about 35-40 and would probably have to edit the mesh a bit like with the Lucifer.

Offline T-Man

Well, the choice is yours

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
Great model.. the only suggestion i have is to make that frontal spike on the top of the head point a little downward... its kind of pointing in a strange way right now. :yes: :yes:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by T-Man
I'm with Venom on the crusier concept. The Shivan's have far too many destroyer+ sized vessels (I think at the moment its 12)...

But they all suck. Shapeless blobs of uninspired extrusions with lousy generic texturing. The Iblis, the Kismat, the Diablo, the Amritaya, even the Gigas. I'm sorry, Woomeister, but that's the way it is. With some more development they could be great, but they're too simplistic currently for my tastes.

Besides, this guy is packed with detail, and the more detail the bigger it should be. ;7 If you want I'll make a Shivan corvette later on, but this one's gonna be a monster. Whether Inferno likes it or not, doesn't really matter, since it's not by commission, I just would like to take the model quality up a notch.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nico

• Venom
But please understand that it jsut doesn't have the shape to be a damn juggernaught! for god's sake, you can't make a design and say, heh, it's cool, I'm gonna make it huge! the thing will just look 'tard if it's oversized.
Bah, take my opinion for what it's worth, and do as you wish.
SCREW CANON!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Besides, this guy is packed with detail, and the more detail the bigger it should be. ;7

And therein lies the fundamental problem; smaller ships look very good with high detail as well.  I don't like to judge a ships scale on its polycount, but rather work to do my best for what I am creating given standard limits imposed by FS2.  I personally see that as a corvette, perhaps a replacement to the failed Moloch class.  However, it is far too long and too skinny at the back to look good at large size.  It would make destroyer, but the moment you take it over the Lucifer's dimensions it's going to be odd looking if for no other reason than it doesn't fill it's bounding in the back, so the box the game puts around it will be largely empty.  As for your model, :yes::yes::yes:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Cruiser, Juggernaught, Cruiser, Juggernaught - whatever happened to plain destroyer-sized ships?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
An excellent question.  I think it has something to do with Inferno already having too many destroyers.

(*Counts*)

4 Shivan Destroyers + 2 Shivan Superdestroyers.  Yep, too many.  However, as the centerpiece of another campaign it'd be a great command ship for a shivan incursion.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM