Author Topic: GVCa Tanen edit/remap  (Read 10779 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Everyone's been clamoring for a revision of the Tanen, particularly as it would have stuck out like a sore thumb among the beautiful Vasudan ships of SA. So, here's a few WIP shots of my take on it.

With a few extrusions, I've added some rows of lights along the upper and lower surfaces, and I've also connected the two fighterbays into a fly-through hangar. :D I'm putting an invisible shield on it, :V: style, but you can always add the 'dont collide invisible' flag to make it fly-through. Next up I'll be revising the turrets, and probably seperating the top and bottom halves a little bit to make room for another row or two of deck lights.

I'd still like to break up that upper surface texture somehow, but I think I can do that with some funky turrets.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 11:44:17 am by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Re-skin looks like it's going great. But while you are playing with the model, might I suggest doing something with the top part of the hull? It's supposed to be 4,000 meters long and with the plainness of the hull, it looks boring and small still. I know it ain't very Vasudan, but maybe some kind of bridge, or visible lights or something... curves, edges, dips, mounds, etc.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
The original had those whacking great flak turrets on top, which I liked a lot, so I'll be adding those on. A bridge superstructure is a great idea, too, so I'll think up some ideas for that. :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 12:54:04 am by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Good stuff, GE. :D

I'd say either increase the tile factor on the light brown topside texture, or decrease it on the pinkish side texture, or both.  Right now the difference in texture density looks funny.  Also, more extensive use of the UVUnwrap would be nice (e.g. on the inside of the forward arms).

Again, great work.  It is already looking better.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 11:55:38 am by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Looking good!  To break up the hull, what about having separate plates af armour, making it look a bit like a shell? Like the Sobek, so you'd have the armour plates the light brown texture, with bits of the superstructure underneath showing through with a dark texture (like the Typhon's hull colour) or a lights texture. Then you could have the bridge rising up through the armour plate, with it's own separate plating on.

Can't describe it very well, but it'd look really good.

PS. Fly-through hangar is sweeeet. :):yes:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Some pics of the updates I've made, including the blue turret mounts on the sides, the decks, and the new bridge structure.

I like the new bridge, but i definately LOVE the blue turrent areas! now that's a reskin! L8tr...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Just wanted to say that I love this ship.

The only thing missing for me are some turrets on top. If, however you feel that this will spoil the new, cool and uneven textures, well, don't put any...
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
:yes: Looking good, my friend.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I got positive feedback from my last edits, and there's nothing more I felt needed changing, so I turreted it, LODded it, and POFed it. Here she is.

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/3dactionplanet/hlp/hosted/fsport/newtanen.zip
Hosted on my FilePlanet space until I can get it hosted on the Inferno Archives.

I've included tables for FS2 campaign balance, and Inferno balance, so you can do whatever you like with it. :D Thanks to Aldo for the original model.

There are just two problems: first, it's not smoothed, so the lighting effects are terrible. :( If anyone knows how to smooth a model for conversion please let me know. The other problem is, despite my best efforts, the flak turrets don't point in the right direction. This is stumping me too, and any help there would also be appreciated.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
ooooooh... glow maps... ;7

:yes:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi

[color=ffd600][size=10]Excellent![/color][/size]
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Sesq, Woomeister's got a smoothed version somehow. (I never even gave him the COB... how did he do that?) You can snag that from him to use in SA, though for some reason two of the turrets crash FS2 Open.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
GE, you and I have GOTTA talk, buddy! You spent all this time revising the Tanen (a ship I´m heavily in favor of using for DatDB) and you didn´t even tell me?

Dude, I´m disappointed in you... :( ;)

Seriously, though, if there are any minor flaws left, let me know on any progress in ironing them out. A reskinned tanen like this is way too good to pass up. :nod:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Having fun here, Su? :D

Offline Raptor

First, let me say that this is a great improvment over the original.  Good work GE!

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
The other problem is, despite my best efforts, the flak turrets don't point in the right direction. This is stumping me too, and any help there would also be appreciated.

Well, the problem (and solution) is simple: the 'base' subobject of the barrelled turrets must have their rotation set to 'Z-axis' (modelview switchs the Z and Y axis, don't know why :confused: ) and the 'barrels' sholud rotate around the 'X-axis'

This should fix your little problem.

I have found a new bug, but it might just be my machine/install.  If I fly close to the ship, game crashes.  sometimes about a kilometer away, sometimes a few hundred metres.... :hopping:

So as long as I mantain my distance, it should be fine....
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'