Author Topic: help a noob out anyone?  (Read 3366 times)

help a noob out anyone?
I loved your mod, but was wondering why I can't access the weapons screen in the tech room; it just crashes the game.  Also I downloaded the voices pack, but I get no voices.  

This is a killer mod everyone, Interplay and Volition should pay you guys for it and call it freespace 3.  I nearly **** my pants when I turned it on and heard the new sounds.  Then in the first mission, the new explosion animations and all, fantastic.  I have to admit when I first downloaded it, I spent a whole hour reading about all the ships!  

So when is chapter 2 coming out?  

Thanks in advance,

Den

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Creating a new pilot, or cloning your current one should fix the tech room.

? There is no voice pack yet as it can't be worked on untill after R2...

Glad you liked it. I'm currently working on even cooler stuff for R2 including new comm anis (don't animate) and cutscenes.

Not sure on a release date yet, there's a lot of FS-Open optimisation needed to be done, as well as completion of the latest models that will be included.

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
I made a test mission and every time i try to play it in the tech rom, the game crashes. Is this problem related?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: help a noob out anyone?
Originally posted by flagg209
I nearly **** my pants when I turned it on and heard the new sounds.  

Bah. :p Almost all the sound effects were ripped from Descent II. I was disappointed.

But then, this is Inferno...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: Re: help a noob out anyone?
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
But then, this is Inferno...

:wtf: What's that supposed to mean?

Actually, the sounds were ripped from Descent III. And Elite Force. And Jedi Knight. And... :p

Offline Culando

Aha! I KNEW the GTVA Rapid Laser was Phaser Rifle fire sound from Elite Force. =P

But I actually kinda like hearing those sounds. Gives a nice variety of sound effects for lasers and stuff. As for them being snatched, I doubt creating those kinds of sounds are easy.
The boy who cried project.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The sound I likede most was when the heavy beam cannons power up.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by SadisticSid
Actually, the sounds were ripped from Descent III. And Elite Force. And Jedi Knight. And... :p

Laz Rojas' Astrostein WolfenDoom scenario.

Originally posted by Woomeister

:wtf: What's that supposed to mean?

He expected more than he got. Inferno, being Inferno, has these inexcusable aspects that would be overlooked in other campaigns. He wanted nothing but the best, but the fact that some aspects of the campaign were not that great irked him.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 01:18:54 pm by 1099 »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
He expected more than he got. Inferno, being Inferno, has these inexcusable aspects that would be overlooked in other campaigns. He wanted nothing but the best, but the fact that some aspects of the campaign were not that great irked him.

I don't know what some are you where expecting, we have more content than most other campaigns combined, the sounds, anis and cutscenes are extra.

Personally, I was UBER-overwhelmed, by EVERYTHING!

To my mind, Inferno IS FS3!

:ha:  :ha:

:D

That, is good enough for me.

Now, if I could only finish mission 14...

:doubt:
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

I'm not sure what GE meant, but if you look at Inferno now vs. Inferno at the start of 2003 you'd be very impressed with the progress we made in those six and a half months before release. Apart from most of the models, almost everything in the mod was new or has been seriously revamped since January.

Inferno in January had no main hall, no animations, no command briefings, no techroom, no new sounds, some defective missions, a fairly different storyline, and bugged beam cannons. Since then we tore up the existing foundations and layed stronger, better ones. For R2 we only have a few missions and some new ship and weapon entries to add. :)

Of course I'm not saying R1 was perfect. But I think the team's learned some lessons and R2 should be equally good, but hopefully a fair bit better.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
What I meant is that Inferno tends to go for quantity over quality. Granted, there are some really nice models in here, but many of the Ancient, Shivan and Vasudan ships (apart from the fighters and bombers) are undeveloped, inefficient, poorly textured and shoddily made.
There is lots of potential here for someone who wants to invest some time and effort in a model; the Apothess, for example, is a great concept and I like the overall form, but it needs that extra level to really bring out its full potential as a design.

As far as the visual effects go, wonderful. I was really impressed by all the new beams, backgrounds and explosions. But the fact remains I was disappointed when I found all the new weapons were using Descent II sounds; another example of 'it doesn't matter how good it is, it's new.' Though I've never done any sound effects editing, I'm sure you could have blended some sounds or applied some filters to make it less obvious the sounds had been ripped.

Now, I can continue griping but I'm not going to, because you folks over here at the Inferno team have put a lot of work into this. With seven entirely new fleets there are bound to be a few duds, right? Hopefully, more revisions and enhancements will be forthcoming that will raise the bar on Inferno a bit.

Thanks for your time.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Most of the duds are 2-3 years old (Tanen etc)

my only problem is that i had to play the nemesis mission about 6 times before i passed it, i kept getting shot down or the Ramanaya kept blowing up :lol:

BUT WELL DONE IT IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

And with FSOpen's mod facility i dont have to overwrite existing tables!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
:welcome:

Hey, welcome to HLP Den and SuperCoolAl. Good to see your enjoying things ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

erm... im not new

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
*laughs at Steak*

you allready did that to him :)
I hate My signature!

oh i suppose its because im still a lowly myrmidon

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by SuperCoolAl
erm... im not new

September 2003 is very new to me, pilot. :p
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.