Author Topic: V should have nothing to do with FS3  (Read 13280 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
V should have nothing to do with FS3
Originally posted by Flaser

What rights do the Hard Light community posses in terms of ownership and decision over the fate of FS?
This is not a theoretical question, but a legal one. I know we can retell the stuff about patents ownerships ect. However I have a feeling that to small degree even a the companies have to admit the community has contributed more than enough to get a minor partial right over the fate of FS.

im not sure about legality - but if [V] made a ****ty FS3 I think those of that can mod and code go knock their socks off by making a better one via the SCP - it would just take enough of us with the will and the skills.  We almost assuredly wouldn't be able to make it as fast though, as it's not our primary job.

V's awesome, even if Dave B probably still hates me I can understand why he wrote FS2's code the way he did (fs2 engine based off fs1 engine based off like the descent engine which is _old_ --- when the origional engine was laid down determined coding style)

I seriously hope that Dave, Adam and all the V crew are smart enough to know what not to do on the next games, especially if it's a step back into te freespace world... and hopefully THQ learned their lesson with Red Faction and only giving them three months to port it.

Do I think V is working on FS3?  Give me a coin and I'll flip it and tell you
Do I think V is doing it right if they are?  probably

I think t would still want to work at V when I graduate, if Dave doesn't have too much against me from what happened years back
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Lol, what happened?

Anyways, I'm not worried about [V], I'm worried about THQ's influence.

Despite the fact that FS2 has its roots in Descent 1, the engine is quite incredible.  It has evolved a great deal.  For instance, it now uses DirectX for rendering instead of being software-driven.

I dunno how I'd go about writing a software rendering engine.  I once wrote a QBasic program that animated a rotating cube on screen, but that was greyscale and didn't run very well on a Pentium 200.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, the SCP guys are doing more or less exactly what [V] did, they are keeping the 'bones' of the program, basic functions etc, but 'fleshing' out the bits where it was considered lacking, or taking advantage of new technology.

And as for any more FS Universe games by Volition being on console, I'd be interested to see what their take of events would be, but that does not mean that just because [V] wrote it, that I will accept it as canon for the FS Universe :)

Flipside :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by LtNarol
EDIT: On the subject of rights to FS, we as a community hold none.  We do not hold any patents, we are not a legal entity, we are a small minority, and we don't really have any power in terms of buying power (excluding those of us who are willing to throw in multiples of thousands of USDs into a game).

We hold no rights to FS3 but [V] would be fools to ignore us if they did decide to make FS3. We are the core audience. We are the people that are likely to automatically buy FS3 AND shout about it too all of our friends.

If the community hated their version of FS3 they'd have a hard time dealing with that once the word got out that the remaining hardcore Freespace fans hated it.

As for [V] working on FS3 I think this is a lot of speculation based on a couple of e-mails sent from Interplay - A company (which as we are all aware) couldn't find its arse with both hands.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Lets assume that a fresh copy of FS3 sells for $50, this community has about 200 active members going off of a very liberal estimate.  Thats only 10k.  Assuming V gets half the proceeds (which is again a very liberal estimate), figure that from this entire community they get 5k.  Factor in the people we talk to who actually buy the game and that may rise to 15k, but most people would more likely go for console games - they're just more popular these days.

EDIT: who want's to take a guess at how much a game costs to make?  My guess starts at 2 million, any takers?

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
depends if it's "a game" or "the game". most games cost about a million or so, IIRC. about 5% of them makes net profit.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
If it's a space sim, it wouldn't work on a consol. if they make if for a consol and the PC, then fine. if it's a FPS, however, it could be either.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It'd suck, nomatter what, if they cross-coded it for both. Face it, if [V] didn't make a seperate one for both, then we'd have to suffer through dumbed-down options, graphics, and possibly storyline (this is just my opinion, but I think pure console gamer's intelligence and/or maturity level is slightly less than that of an average PC gamer's)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Wasn't it kinda obvious? Adam meant that Space Sims will probably gain new life/popularity (I.e. a new generation of people) if there was more of an effort to make space sims available on consoles.. good ones.

He never said "Damn, I wish we could make FS3 for Gamecube!" :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 09:27:41 pm by 675 »
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Originally posted by Unknown Target
Lol, what happened?

Anyways, I'm not worried about [V], I'm worried about THQ's influence.

he and i had some rather heated arguments about good coding style
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Re: V should have nothing to do with FS3
Originally posted by Rake
God I hope Volition has nothing to do with FS3.

:eek2:
your insane
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Yaaaay! It works! My account finally works! *general happiness*

Ok, ok... now on the topic.

I am still holding my opinion from mentioned thread: Volition isn't going to screw current FS fans, as they are the ones who WILL buy the game, and can spread the word of its quality with either internet or computer magazines [well, quite a few people working in them like FS, at least in my country]. While they may do the FS3 on the console, they shouldn't dumb it down for PC, as PC users aren't going to like dumbed-down games [ALL PC users, not only FS fans; it could and would result in reduced sales for PC, and it is bad]. So, the most likely version is FS3 for PC, as good as usual, and FS3 port for consoles, most likely with changed interface [not by very much, I assume] and not much more. You know, the same thing that Westwood did with orginal C&C game. It was RTS on PC played with mouse, but with a bit of good will, they adapted it on console and it was still fairly playable.
EDIT: note about the FRED. I assume that it will be in PC version, as it was something that greatly extended life of FS and FS2. Getting rid of it would be idiotic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 06:32:36 am by 1255 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
And how, exactly, do you propose we order our wingmen around? Or handle subsystem targeting? Or energy management?

Or FRED?

actually, I think it's easy. let's take the Xbox pad:
left stick, control the ship
pad: control wingmen oders, and weapons ( like in that fps demo I tried )
right stick: targetting ( up, in reticle, down, closest, etc )
and ten buttons to do everything else.
or something.
as for fred, well, byebye fred ( altho a mouse, that's, what, movement and two or three buttons? if one can't emulate that with a pad they can't do videogames ).

But as there won't be a FS3... :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Let'em bring it on a console. I'm willing to bet money on, that [v]'s next game, be it FS3 or not, will be released on a console.

But it will be ported to PC. It will. If it's a fairly decent game, with a prequel on PC (see Red Faction, and that pretty much sucked), it will be ported.

If not, it isn't worth playing.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I wouldn't mind it on a console. There are just so many people into consoles that it would draw a huge number of people into the game - and they'd definitely want the prequels if they enjoy FS3. Also, one of the main things I want out of FS3 is a resolved storyline - and a console wouldn't stop me seeing that.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
If their going to make FS3 for the console......it better be a damn good story- or else I'm boycotting any future products by [V].

The only way i heard of Freespace 2 in the first place was by a demo i played a long time ago. When i saw a copy in the store, i brought it because i remembered how much fun the game was and how interesting the story looked. Considering this is the east (india and most of Asia) where sci-fi games are not as popular, I'd say that first impressions are the best- not to mention word of mouth.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
What games is V doing? It seems like THQ dissolved them or something. Kind of like EAs assimilation of all smaller companies.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
We are the THQ... Resistance is futile... Your game rights and programmers will be integrated as one... :lol:
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Like I said.. they could make a good FS FPS on a console (Like SC Ghost) and it probably wouldn't turn out half bad, possibly make a good port, and get a lot of money and new fans while their at it.

And we could also frag Vasudans. ;7
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read