Author Topic: V should have nothing to do with FS3  (Read 13328 times)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
V should have nothing to do with FS3
:mad:  What does eny other company has to do with FS this is the exclusive art work of V and even if some other company decides to make it i believe  V should have a realy BIG word id the development of it.
And by the way who is the whiseguy who decides to make our or at least my dais bitter by mentioning the FS3 ?
And what is this crap about a console FS3 and then what do the PC owner guys have to do look at it and give theyr opinions on it...or what...look at what they did with resident evil with tombraider and redfaction and countless other games..!
My personal hope for you is this DIE DIE DIE :mad: :mad: :mad:
:mad2:  FS was ment for PC and will remain for PC i hope..:sigh:
Man does this guy deserve some serious burning....:mad2:
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*hoses down AlphaOne*

Dude, nobody likes flaming. He was simply bringing up the topic that Adam Pletcher said he thought consoles were the future of space sim games, and expressing his opinion on the subject.
We can agree, we can disagree, but please don't flame.

This has been a public service announcement; we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

EDIT: It was AP, not DaveB. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 05:17:42 pm by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Everyone said the same about first person shooters until Halo came along on the XBox. And while I don't think [V] can do the same with a console space sim considering Red Faction and its sequel, it doesn't mean they can't by default.

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
When they come out with a joystick and 104 keyboard for X-box i will be really surprised...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
well they did have that hella big controller/cockpit for steel battalion

and if it does come out for consoles, were gonna have a big influx of 5 year olds
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
it was pletcher not baranec
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline mnftg64

IMO if FS3 came out on a console it simply wouldn't do well for a couple reasons.

You would lose a good amount of the current fans because they either don't have the selected console or the game sucks compared to the older ones.

We all know V is bad at advertising....ok.....horrible (did you ever see a V commercial?)...the game would end up being one of those games that like one person has in your city. You rent it, invite your friends over and beat a few levels or maybe all of em and then never think of it again. No replay, FRED would be gone.

It wouldn't work well.

Originally posted by Whitelight
Leave god out of this, and if you are so sure volition won`t make a PC version ,you`d better take a second to rethink!! :nod:

Would that be anything like the PC version of Red Faction 2?

Think about it...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 12:05:25 am by 1411 »
"What good fortune for those in power that the people do not think."
--Adolf Hitler

"Fascism should rightly be called corporatism as it is a merger of state and corporate power--Benito Mussolini "Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day."
--Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by mnftg64
We all know V is bad at advertising....ok.....horrible (did you ever see a V commercial?)...the game would end up being one of those games that like one person has in your city. You rent it, invite your friends over and beat a few levels or maybe all of em and then never think of it again. No replay, FRED would be gone.

I thought advertising was the producers problems, not V's.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Console or Pc.... That's not the issue

While I do think that PC games are generally better than console ones, that is not the point...the point is to attract buyers.

It's a tragedy, for FS1&2 are among the top 10 games I ever played, but most people won't take a closer look at them.
Why? What's wrong with space-sims?...Nothing..

An average gamer is bombarded by FPS, racing/football simulations and strategy/RPG games... There's just too many games, too little time/money, so one has to choose. Most people will go with a FPS/Strtegy, for they are popular...and sadly, space-sims will generaly be left behind....

Life's a b****!!!!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I prefer console gaming to PC gaming(unless it's a FPS, then you'd better damn well have mouse support or I won't give a second look). With consoles I can spend $200-$300 and have a system that I won't have to upgrade for around 5~ years. To stay current with PC's,  I'd need to spend, what, $1500 to get there and then another $100-$200 every few months? No. If I wanna play a game(with the exceptions of RTS, Flight Simulator, and FPS games) I will almost always go to a console game first. That's just the way it works. People are more comfortable spending a couple hundred dollars every few years, than having to constantly upgrade every few months. Well, ok, maybe not everyone is, but I am.

There's also no reason wingman commands couldn't be issued via voice command. SOCOM does it. Ok, maybe not the best comparison, but it could be done with a bit of trickery and work. Oh yeah, and about Freespace with a stick... there are joysticks for consoles, folks. Look and you will find them.

Right now, if Freespace 3 came out, console or PC, and it was as good(possibly even better than) Freespace 2, given the shape of the "space sim" genre... point me at its competition. I mean, really, if whoever PUBLISHES(In response to KT: Publishers do the advertising, usually) the game advertises it, I gurantee it'd kick ass. It'd kick unholy ass, be it PC(Freelan-what?), or console(Rogue who?). Volition, if they've got the license and don't milk the series(considering the state it's in, there isn't much to milk) by just tossing an FS3 out the door, then I'm pretty sure you can expect to be knocked flat on your ass.
"I feel the need, the need for SPEED!" -TopGun

"Live to fly, fly to live, aces high!" -from "Aces High" by Iron Maiden

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The fact remains that if it were not for FRED, the community would have died a long time ago. And as long as there is a FRED, the community will live on.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
That's the thing. If FS3 is released on the console, to preserve the community, [V] should at least release a newer, better version of FRED and port FS3 to PC.

It wont be much, and may or may not be a failiure on the PC even though it was good on the console, but at least a new version of FRED should keep things going for a short while till it can be properly fixed. The only reason Freespace 2 has survived till today is FRED. Without it, Fs2 would have died a long, long time ago in another generation that is far away ;)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Personally, i think if V released a space sim, it wouldn't be FS3 - it'd be something in a seperate universe, with a different storyline.  I'm not sure FS3 would be as financially viable as a new series, because a lot of people will be turned off if they haven't played the prequel/s - especially given the way the storyline in FS2 finished.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
but considering, that they have said that they would very much like to finish the FS storyline, and that they have also said, that THQ pretty much lets them do what they want, I think that if they ever make another Space combat sim, then it'll be an FS title
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
It would be interesting to see what they come up with other than a FS space sim.. :doubt:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
so whats story in FS3 could be Shivans 3 invansion:o

and when that game come i will not buy it why? because i want would see only something new
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
I think FS3 storyline would have been more along the line of Inferno. V should do something like it, except ultra-optimize it with a new game engine better textures, higher-res, Dx 9 compatible, and use most of the models the Inferno team made... just my opinion.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
i would say no big ships for terran or Vasudan i just hate if there is too many too big ships
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

I like big ships thankyou. It`s great fun to dogfight while huge ships bash the hell out of each other. Beam cannons were one of the best additions to the engine (apart from running in higher res).

having been talking about consoles ect.... I`m not sure. While the arguements of controls ect are pointless as it could be got around(although the number of targeting systems ect are staggering when you try to fit them into a tiny controller.) I am more worried over the gameplay itself. The big advantage about PC owners and our machines is that if you need extra power to make your game run you just up the spec... It`s a good bet that fans of the game will buy an upgrade. We all know that this is the burdon of being a PC owner.
FS2 does not have many major battles between the big ships and has hardly ANY involving huge fleets. I remeber the final misson in FS2 brought my P300 with voodoo3000 card to a crawl as it tried to load and sort out the models ect. THIS is what would limit FS on a console. Imagine that they code for a console... unless they limit what it can do in effects, number of rendering ect it`ll crawl. Example is Halo on Xbox. My friends and mags report that it looks and plays fine until it gets busy, then due to the consoles limited resources it crawls... (and it seems the port has been cocked up, A PC with extra power cannot seem to handle high reses in some reviews).....

A console would simply limit what could be done when compared to a PC, this would limit the storyline and FS would suffer.

Imagine if you will FS2 on the PS... same time yes? Look at the differences in power. Even today with all the consoles mightly powerchips for graphics they simpy cannot match the PC STILL in CPU, mem, storage and in some cases graphics.

I`m waffling..... I`ll stop.
Am I in favour of FS3? Yes.
Do I care if it is console only?: Again yes but only due to the storyline limits it will impose compared to coding on PC.
Do I care if it is dual coded.... Nope. I think V should recode FS and FS2 onto a dual disk NOW for PS2 and Xbox. This`ll let people catch up with the story. Then they can code FS3 for PC first with a powerful engine and then de-res it for the consoles.
Would I welcome Console owners into the FS universe? Hell yes, it would show then what they`ve been missing without a PC :-)
You`d need more than a lightsabre to kick a shivans arse!!!

I pick wahoonies for a living! Maybe that why I have no friends,