Author Topic: V should have nothing to do with FS3  (Read 13337 times)

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
V should have nothing to do with FS3
If FS3 came out on console, i dont know what i would do. I hate consoles peroid. They have no power vs a PC, therefore the game would probably suck.

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
But don`t they have the best of both worlds here, (console & PC). :nod:

They can attract gamers for both platforms, at least it make sence to me..

Oh there I go again talkin giberish :D
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline JC128

In refrence to what rights the coders have.. None.

Legally Volition owns the rights to Freespace.. It is at thier will that the source code is open. They reserve the right to force the shutdown of the Source Code project if they so desire.

We, this community the users of this source code are licensed only to use, modify the code. We do not own it.

If you have ever looked at the original source code this is all you would need to read:

Copyright (C) Volition, Inc. 1999.  All rights reserved.

All source code herein is the property of Volition, Inc. You may not sell
or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the
source.

meaning they own all rights to anything you do in the code, meaning they could come in here take the current SCP build and call it Freespace 3 :nervous:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2003, 10:25:38 pm by 1155 »
Veni Vidi Vici

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
....... yes.. that'd work wonders for PR.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline JC128

i didnt say it was smart i said they could do it, legally :p
Veni Vidi Vici

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
No, they can't either.  If they took the current SCP code, then they would have FS2 plus a bunch of other people's code.  The things they wrote are theirs, yes, but all of the SCP enhancements would have to be removed.  The coders do own what they have written, at least in part.  Now the coders can't take snippets out of the V code and call it theirs (or use it in a project) but by the same token V can't take snippets of SCP'ers code and call it their own either.  At least not without opening grounds for a serious and uncontestible intellectual property rights suit.  Especially if V tries to sell it under their name.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Originally posted by JC128

Legally Volition owns the rights to Freespace.. It is at thier will that the source code is open. They reserve the right to force the shutdown of the Source Code project if they so desire.

The coders haven`t and won`t do anything illegal to bring the wrath of volition down on them, that would be the only reason to shut it down, so this is null and void. :)

Volition made it open sorce for the public to code it, nothing more nothing less, if anything it gave FS2 a second life. :D
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

I have to admit that consoles are exceeding PCs in graphics, but this is because they focus on games.  The X-Box, I believe, uses a 500 Mhz CPU, but it can outperform a 1.7Ghz CPU when running games because that's all it does.  PCs have to run the base operating system too, and have a whole load of indirection and deadwood between the game and the hardware.

Consoles are definitely the future for games, but I'll not switch to them until PC games are well and truly dead.  Of course, PC games will never die because there will always be a market for them.

Besides, PC games work on all PCs of high enough spec, provided you've got the right operating system.  The compatibility issues occur in software, not hardware, so games producers don't have to focus on one type of PC, like they do with consoles.  N64 games won't work on Playstations, but DOS games will work (usually) on Win95/NT operating systems.  Not only that, but you can upgrade your PC to run the next generation of games and it will still run the old ones (normally).  But if you have a SNES, and you want an N64 game, you have to buy a new console...

PCs rule.  Pity they cost so damned much.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
i hate ships that are 20-30km if they don`t fit plot

ships to 1-4 are in my mind most important thing
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Originally posted by Descenterace
I have to admit that consoles are exceeding PCs in graphics, but this is because they focus on games.  The X-Box, I believe, uses a 500 Mhz CPU, but it can outperform a 1.7Ghz CPU when running games because that's all it does.  PCs have to run the base operating system too, and have a whole load of indirection and deadwood between the game and the hardware.

Consoles are definitely the future for games, but I'll not switch to them until PC games are well and truly dead.  Of course, PC games will never die because there will always be a market for them.

I don`t beive that consoles are exceeding PC`s in graphics at all. Halo has had a large amount of graphic stuff put BACK for the PC... It`s only sluggish coding that has ruined it`s ability to smoothly run.

Look at doom3, Half life2 and a couple of the other next gen games. They outclass all the concole games in graphics. HL2 will be coming out on Xbox but boy is it cut down in graphics.
Ah, I`m sure consoles will match PC`s soon with graphics but as I sated before they CANNOT match CPU power. while windows may take some it can hardly be called a huge drain on CPU power. We as PC gamers can have such intelligent foes compared to consoles. Having played the Xbox and PC version of Unreal tournament 2003, I can safely say the PC won on both graphics and AI bot intelligence.

Consoles are not the future of games, they may keep it in the mainstream for the public (not that that may be a good thing consdering the huge en mass pumped dross for them) but the PC is very good for games that require more muscle and sometimes people who care about playing something through to it`s conclusion.

Sigh, I`m not going to bring myself to start a console Vs PC argument. All I`ll say is that I have a PS2,Xbox and PC... I play more games on my PC and enjoy them more that I do on consoles. But then that s my opinion.

PS- Just pleased to see that PC sales are still going strong. As is software.

Roll on FS3.
You`d need more than a lightsabre to kick a shivans arse!!!

I pick wahoonies for a living! Maybe that why I have no friends,

Offline magatsu1

my dad was glad I got a PC 'cos "I could use it for more important stuff than playing games"
heh, oh well. :D
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
This makes me furious.

You wanna know why all these people are moving to consoles? Because they lose to much money from people who Hack burn and copy PC games. Now that its 100 times harderto do this on consoles its no wonder why all these companys are going console with their games.

Why dont before you start complaining and putting down try to think WHY.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
A new law recently came out, stating that if a commercial program has ONE line of user-made code in it, it is open-source.
Besides, now that [V] has released it's code for FS2, I think that that game is now free game, by law. I don't think [V] would be allowed to shut us down, at least not easily.

And Krackers, the reason they're moving to consoles, is that there's more PEOPLE playing consoles, thus higher profit margins.

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Easy way to see who holds the rights

Produce a refrence to FreeSpace and start selling it.

THEN wait and see who sues you.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

well listen method man

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Originally posted by Unknown Target
A new law recently came out, stating that if a commercial program has ONE line of user-made code in it, it is open-source.
Besides, now that [V] has released it's code for FS2, I think that that game is now free game, by law. I don't think [V] would be allowed to shut us down, at least not easily.

And Krackers, the reason they're moving to consoles, is that there's more PEOPLE playing consoles, thus higher profit margins.

That to but i read several interviews about it.

well listen method man

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
why peoples not just wait if there is news coming in future
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
You can't sell an open-source program unless you've put in something that was your own work and you had it copyrighted.

IMHO people play on consoles, because there's nothing to do about them, other than jack in the CD/DVD and play the game.

With a PC you have to do magic tricks like: "installing the game" - copying files, or even more troubleshoot!!!

[lamer-voice] I can't believe anyone would use one of those sucky PCs[/lamer-voice].

Check the video on Red versus Blue, about the Mac gamer. You'll see the properly balanced and told version of my story.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Originally posted by Krackers87
Easy way to see who holds the rights

Produce a refrence to FreeSpace and start selling it.

THEN wait and see who sues you.

I know you cant legaly. People will sue you if you do. The point of this is to find out how holds the rights by seeing who sues you for copyright infringement. Also notice the REFRENCE part. ie: FS2 Mugs, FS2 THE MOVIE, something along those lines. Or FS3.

Now youve made me kill something funny. Shame on you. :blah:

well listen method man

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
oh my....

However I think you could reserve the rights for the FS_Open.

We need to make a non-profit international organization (no tax, ect. that's why non-profit), and we could have the FS_Open copyrighted.

Well I know the reaction....dream on...
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Personally I wouldn't go for a space sim developed for a console.

I feel that the technology is too limiting for a proper audio visual tour de force. Some of the next generation consoles such as X-Box 2? Yes.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock