Author Topic: V should have nothing to do with FS3  (Read 13322 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
V should have nothing to do with FS3
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
Volition would never be stupid enough to put a goddamned SPACE SIM on a console.

Gaming companies have been known to do some pretty stupid things. Like Atari turning down an offer from Nintendo to promote the NES (something like that).
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
Bah! :hopping: why are you people talking about consoles again blah blah blah blah. :D
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline J3Vr6

B/c if you're making a video game and you want to target the biggest possible market out there, you'd make the game a console one.  I would hope they'd do it on the PC, though.

Whatever, I don't think they'll make a FS
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Some dudes put out a mech sim on console which has a whole damn cockpit for the game. Now, if that came out for a console FreeSpace, I wouldn't be complaining. Certainly, one of the main issues I have with any console space sim is that there just aren't enough buttons. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Setekh
Some dudes put out a mech sim on console which has a whole damn cockpit for the game. Now, if that came out for a console FreeSpace, I wouldn't be complaining. Certainly, one of the main issues I have with any console space sim is that there just aren't enough buttons. ;)

That's why my stance against a console game isn't based on controls, (since you can create your own custom controler) but is based on the fact that the hardware is fixed and for a good tour de force for audio/visual effects a next-gen console or current PC is needed.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline diamondgeezer

I'm going to play Link to the Past until you all profess your love for consoles

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Originally posted by diamondgeezer

I won't lie to you, I must admit that I indeed do love my GBA. but I aint getting a tv console without a very good reason, as I'd probably rather build myself a home entertainment computer based on the mini-itx form factor instead.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by diamondgeezer

hah!
i play my SNES games on my PC now! :devil: :rolleyes:
PC's own....  :rolleyes:
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Originally posted by Drew

hah!
i play my SNES games on my PC now! :devil: :rolleyes:
PC's own....  :rolleyes:

yeah, but does it fit into your pocket?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline daveb

• WHEE!!
Dang. You guys are still here?

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
DAVE IS BACK!!!!  dude check the source forum, well hook u up with private access.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by daveb

we've always been here... ;)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed. This is one of the best places for anyone who wants to learn how to mod to go to.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
daveb!!!
the lord of all codeing!
please don't leave us!!
please come back to us!!
please, we miss you!!!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by daveb

Please do ignore this threads title and the ignorant people within it, oh merciful one. :nervous:

;)
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by Setekh
Certainly, one of the main issues I have with any console space sim is that there just aren't enough buttons. ;)

amen!!!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Geez guys, talk about being an embarassment. :p

Still, it is good to see you back, Dave. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I don't want to say anything that could scare off dave, but I realy don't like the way V has gone sence about 5 months after FS2 was relesed, nearly all the staff whent silent, and though I know I'll get corected on this by dave, it seems as though there was a major shift in the way V goes about makeing games, for those of you who think V makeing FS3 as a (primarily) console game would be OK I have but only two words for you, Red Faction, it's been around for what 1/5th as long and it's comunity is alredy dead, this is becase it was unmodable and not mod frendly (exept in multiplayer were it was a little TOO mod frendly if you know what I mean), V would not relese any file formats, therefore no one could make any tools for editing the models, the tools they did relese came with dumbed down models that lacked many of the cooler features, looking into things most of the features you would have expected to be table modifyable was hard coded, about all you could do was change the aperence of some things and cheat (wich many many many people did a whole lot)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
No kidding, Mike. Hey, Dave. How are you these days?

Originally posted by Ace
That's why my stance against a console game isn't based on controls, (since you can create your own custom controler) but is based on the fact that the hardware is fixed and for a good tour de force for audio/visual effects a next-gen console or current PC is needed.

I don't entirely agree. Consoles can still slap some PC ass, I don't care what the numbers say - just play Halo on a PC and on an Xbox, and you can feel it. And that's nothing to mention Halo 2. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
I got a PS2, a Gamecube, and a PC. I use all of 'em. If FS3 is made, I'll play it. If it's out on PC, I'll rush out and buy it. If it's out on a console, I'll rush out and buy it. If it's good, I'll keep it. If not, I'll take it back to the shop. No more problem. :D

An FS FPS sounds very cool, by the way. Anyone here mod Half-Life? ;7
Any fool can pull a trigger...