Author Topic: Cockpit?  (Read 9182 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Lightspeed

Then just make your 3d model, render it, and import the bitmap... That way you can retexture things easily and you could even add some minor details with simple image editing :)

the 2D Cockpit up there looks really flat, but you _can_ implement some cockpits with depth without a need to render it (making it look ugly and edgey like the 3D cockpit up there)

so to make a 2D cockpit, you have to make a 3D one? isn't this a bit flawed? :p
Btw, the 3D cockpit above isn't looking good, but just look at the ones from Xwing Alliance, for exemple. really, trust me, I can make a good looking cockpit. I can't make a 2D good cockpit unless I render the 3D one, which is pointless, you lose the advantages of both versions that way.

As for the HUD... look at, say, Wing Commander Prophecy, Xwing Alliance, Iwar2, etc. they all feature 3D cockpits, but their HUD is like in Freespace2. it's just cosmetics, there's no information on the cockpit itself, but the cockpit mesh is made so for exemple the HUD part for communications will be over a modeled screen of the mesh hull. simple, elegant and effective.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 12:08:01 pm by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sticks

This whole thing is getting a bit rediculous.

It's going to be about 20 times easier to do a bitmap cockpit than a true 3d one, hands down. I always thought 3d cockpits really sucked big time. I'll tell you why.

1. Blocky. Unless someone can get me a georgeous mesh with beautiful textures, it will look far worse than a nicely rendered bitmap cockpit. I'm talking tons of triangles. 5 - 20k would be good.

2. Transformations. I don't even want to think about the sh*t-tastic vector transforms I'm going to have to jump hoops through just to get the thing to render properly at the same spot every frame.

3. Slow. A 3D cockpit will suck resources, for sure. And especially in software T&L, we don't really have any more to spare.

I'd say point number one is my biggest problem. My other problem is implementation, and that is to say that I really don't know how I would implement the 3D version. And you can count out hat-switch panning.

Venom, you're sure making a lot of noise for someone who gave up posting here.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Sticks
This whole thing is getting a bit rediculous.

It's going to be about 20 times easier to do a bitmap cockpit than a true 3d one, hands down. I always thought 3d cockpits really sucked big time. I'll tell you why.

1. Blocky. Unless someone can get me a georgeous mesh with beautiful textures, it will look far worse than a nicely rendered bitmap cockpit. I'm talking tons of triangles. 5 - 20k would be good.

2. Transformations. I don't even want to think about the sh*t-tastic vector transforms I'm going to have to jump hoops through just to get the thing to render properly at the same spot every frame.

3. Slow. A 3D cockpit will suck resources, for sure. And especially in software T&L, we don't really have any more to spare.

I'd say point number one is my biggest problem. My other problem is implementation, and that is to say that I really don't know how I would implement the 3D version. And you can count out hat-switch panning.

Venom, you're sure making a lot of noise for someone who gave up posting here.

I gave up posting requests, give me a rest. But maybe you want to force me to shut up? Big boy :rolleyes:
And about making 2D stuff like that, have you ever tried? Coz I did. I know what I'm talking about, I wonder about you.
SCREW CANON!

Venom, he is saying that doing the cockpit in 3D in game is impossible, so from his POV, it is indeed easier to make a 2D one.

also, i regarded is last line as a joke. please, do the same, or ignore it. i know that if you're not in your best moods you might not see every joke as one, but please, ignore it then, no reason to start annoying eachother, let's just annoy n00bs instead. (j/k)
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Nico

• Venom
ok ok, sorry about that.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sticks

Ok, that was way out of line Venom. I haven't been here as long as you, but it would be nice to see some respect for my contributions.

That line was a sarcastic jab, not meant seriously. And for your information, I have done a ton of 2d stuff, for a living I might add. Please keep you temper under control.

I'm sorry you took it the wrong way.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Nico

• Venom
Ok, I said I was sorry, let's go over that, please, since I haven't even criticized anything you've done.
Besides, how long you've been on HLP is completly irelevant to me, a guy could register tomorrow and be better than you or me in our own fields, what matters is the skills, not a register date :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Sigh.  

I'll make the bloody cockpit bitmap, right? - i'll do it this weekend if time permits, by the end of the week in all likelihood.  it may be simple and relatively plain (no point cutting out half the view with an unused bitmap), but it'll be a usable test if Sticks decided to do this coding.  And if he does, and you don't like the idea, then i'm sure it'll be disable.  

And on the whole 2d vs 3d thing - i'm sure it'd be possible to alter from a 2D to 3D cokpit once technology makes it more feasible - I'd imagine the code would be modular enough to allow later extension, especially if the stuff is niocely encapsulated and toggle-able.