Author Topic: High/low resolution options  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Falcon

High/low resolution options
There are many different resolutions in the Launcher the only ones that work are 640x480 and 1024x768.

I've asked the question about resolutions before and they told me that they would have to come up with new interface art.

So I've basically given up on the question.

Just stick to 1024x768 or 800x600 and crank up the anti-aliasing as far as your video card can take.

I have a 9000 Radeon and have got the anti-aliasing to 4x on 1024x768 and 6x on 800x600. Removes most of the jagged edges:)

Offline RandomTiger

Are you using the launcher and fs2_open exe from this thread?

Offline Falcon

downloading now. :)

This seems the best place for this:

I'm not sure if its my video card or not, I think I have on of those intergrated thingummys anyway, but both of the Direct3D settings are very laggy.

So instead I use OpenGL. It has no lag at all, and looks about the same as the Direct3D (I think). BUT! I always get these wierd square clouds around backgrounds, warpmaps suns etc.

Heres a pic, so you can see what I mean.

http://bludlust0.tripod.com/Files/Funny_clouds.JPG

Is this my video card? Something I can fix? Or am I just lucky?

Oops, the link doesn't work. Oh well, I'll explain it better. Each map, eg Warp, is surrounded by a perfectly square, cloudy image, like you get sometimes if you dont get that right shade of green in the interface stuff, only its not green.

There, that should be enough to confuse you! :ha:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 05:26:08 am by 1182 »

Offline Fry_Day

1280x1024 is bad. I'm surprised it became a standard resolution. 1280x960, on the other hand, is much better.
The point is that 1280x1024 isn't a 4:3 aspect-ration resolution, which means pixels aren't exactly square, but rather rectangular.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Great stuff, this high resolution graphics. :yes:

Can't wait until the interface problems are sorted out - it must be a tedious job.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I hope you include support for some of the midrange resolutions.  For my desktop I'm currently using 1152/864, as all the settings between that and 1280/1024 were not for the standard monitor shape.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline RandomTiger

Fry_Day:

When you click that 'allow' button you get all the modes DX8 allows above 640x480. No matter how silly the ratio is.

Trivial Psychic:

Run the launcher in DX8, I would be really interested to know what options you get. Use save D3D caps to textfile, send me that and that will have the whole list.

Bludlust:

DX8 is slower, we will hopefully sort that out as part of our htl update. As for the OGL problem, either find Phreak and tell him or but a bug in bugzilla. http://fs2source.warpcore.org/bugzilla/index.cgi

Ypoknons:

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 02:12:48 pm by 848 »

My 17" TFT supports 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024.

The pixels in 1280x1024 ARE square.  Of course, they're square in the other modes too, despite the obvious aspect ratio paradox in this case.  I've no idea how Proview managed to bend space like that...
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Fry_Day

It's very simple. Your monitor's viewable area has a 4x3 aspect ratio. For pixels to be square, either the ratio between the number of horizontal pixels and vertical pixels must be equal to 4x3, or only a portion of the viewable are can be used (Think playing a widescreen movie on a regular TV). Otherwise, the pixels won't be exact squares, but rectangles. No going around it.

It's extremely noticeable in old mode 13h programs (Mode 13h is 320x200x256 colors), in which a function that draws a plain circle would generate an ellipse, and to draw what would appear as a circle, you had to draw an ellipse that took the strange aspect ration into account.

Monitors that support 1280x1024 generally support 1280x960, but drivers generally don't let windows use that resolution for the desktop.

Of course, the whole point is moot, considering the fact that D3D should not care one way or another (Even though the interface will look either ugly or slightly out-of-place, due to uneven scaling)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by RandomTiger
Trivial Psychic:

Run the launcher in DX8, I would be really interested to know what options you get. Use save D3D caps to textfile, send me that and that will have the whole list.

Actually, I've got a version with the currently-unsupported resolutions, removed from the list, but the version I used before that had all resolutions listed.  What I meant was, when the new interface graphics are made, both in and out of combat, that versions are made for the resolution I refured to and not just jumpt right from 1024/768 to 1280/1024.  I didn't mention those other 1280/xxx resultions because of their differing screen proportions.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Regardless of resolution, all my screen modes fill the screen.  No idea how.

And the four I mentioned are the only ones supported.  The screen goes into lockup when I try to use 1280x960.  Pity, really, since most games choose to support that one instead of 1280x1024 and so I have to use 1024x768, which due to the way in which TFTs handle resolutions that are not a factor of the maximum, looks crap.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
I would try to make a 1600x1200 rather than 1280x1024
I know only few will be able to run it, but it's obvious that there aren't much differences between 1280 and the already present 1024, and a 1600x1200 will have more sense on the long run

Offline RandomTiger

Its all the same, if I do the work for one res it is done for all.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
perfect:)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Carl
i'd like to see more resolution options like most games have.

640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024

Ick, but think of redoing all that interface art... :ick
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
you can rescale it.  it wouldn't look as nice though.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
That's why some of us keep babbling about resize algorythms, *or downsize actually- or 2D vectorgraphics support for the interface.

...as well as support for video/ani resize as you would do with any video file you play on WMP.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Produce the interface graphics for highest resolution, then have the game resample them at lower resolution and save to an offscreen surface.

Offline RandomTiger

Im working on image stuff at the moment.
I hope to add that kind of scaling support you are talking about.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 12:28:23 pm by 848 »