Author Topic: High/low resolution options  (Read 6400 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
High/low resolution options
Is there currently a version of FS_Open that will run FS2 in 640x480 resolution?  My graphics card--one of the second-rate Intel integrated graphics controller kind--has real difficulty running FS2 in high resolution, as seems to be the FS_Open default.

Or, at least, it was the default the last time I downloaded the open source, which was some time ago.  When I tried to run the launcher available at the time, I received a "cannot create device" error that would pop up no matter what mode I tried to play in, be it DX8 or not.  Prior to that, I found I could use the .exe without the launcher (albeit in high resolution, which made play very sluggish).  This, however, no longer worked either, since the launcher settings had saved themselves to the registry and kept giving me the same error.  I'm no good at editing registry values, so I decided to start from scratch, uninstalling the open source as well as FS2.

When I tried to restart my computer, it wouldn't boot back up.  Even when I used the "last good startup" in the XP setup, nothing would happen.  I'd get the XP "Loading screen", and then everything would go black.

Congratulations, FSSCP.  You killed my computer. ;)

All this was several months ago, of course, and doing an XP reinstall/repair fixed the problem--whatever it was--but it's not an experience I'd care to endure again.  If I can't play FS_Open in a resolution that won't make my computer crawl (and preferably, if I can't set it up without a launcher that will make XP explode), then I'm afraid I can't play it at all.  I really want to get the most out of the FSPort and Inferno, and I appreciate the work you guys are doing... but is there anything you can do in the way of lower resolution?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmmmmm... I think you'll find it's that integrated graphics card that's giving you so much grief. I cannot see SCP getting on with that at all :(
I'd recommend upgrading you graphics card if it's possible, you might have to get hands on with the motherboard to disable your onboard one though.

Good luck!

Flipside :D

Offline Falcon

640x480 is already in FS_Open

Offline Falcon

Yeah, because most Mboards with integrated video chips don't have an AGP slot.
If that is the case, you can get a PCI graphics card instead.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Geforce FX 5200 comes in PCI flavor.:)
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline diamondgeezer

FX PCI? Hmm... that seems to defeat the point a little...

Offline Falcon

What point?

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
i'd like to see more resolution options like most games have.

640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Doesn't defeat any point seeing how badly the 5200 seems to perform anyways.  =(

It's always funny seeing the lowest end of a card from the previous generation costing more than a newer one (ti4200 vs fx5200).

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Hey! My FSO even has 1600x1200 resolution. I don't know if it works, because I rely on only 640x480. :D
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
[q]Hey! My FSO even has 1600x1200 resolution. I don't know if it works, because I rely on only 640x480.[/q]

It won't, it'll just kick back with an initialisation error.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
OK. I mentioned I never tried it. Because my monitor cannot handle a resolution like that. :p

And what about 800x600? :nervous:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Integrated graphics in general should not be used on a game like this. They're fine for 2D stuff though.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Flipside

I'd recommend upgrading you graphics card if it's possible, you might have to get hands on with the motherboard to disable your onboard one though.

Good luck!

Flipside :D

nope, just find the integrated chip in device manager and remove the device after you slap in your new card...
then just reboot....
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Drew

nope, just find the integrated chip in device manager and remove the device after you slap in your new card...
then just reboot....

That most likely will not work...the hardware still exists and Windows will either automatically install a driver for it or attempt to install a driver for it.

Either you will need to change a jumper setting on the board (a physical switch that controls settings) or...you will need to go into the motherboard BIOS (press DEL at start) and disable the video card.  That is assuming that your board even lets you do such a thing.

Again, removing the driver via the device manager serves no real purpose in terms of disabling the hardware itself.  That has to be done at a much lower level than the OS.  Not that its bad advice, its a good idea to remove any trace of it from Windows in any case.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

i dont know but i think u can do it in bios (like disabling onboard sound)

anyway in windows cant u set your primary display adapter from 2 or more?

Offline RandomTiger

If you have problems with the launcher e-mail me.
I dont have time to search through forums to find problems.
If you want it fixed make the effort to contact me directly and use the text caps generator to give me your system info.

I admit in the past I've made some code mistakes but theres no way the launcher caused a total OS system failure like that. You maight want to run scandisk or something.

As far as the mode stuff goes, I've done some research in this area. You would be surprised how little difference it makes. Perhaps thats just cos I have a small monitor.

It will probably get done at some point. If not by me, by some other driven individual. Everyone is slogging it out on HT&L or other things that will probably have a great benifit.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
My brother once had a similar problem on his old P133 back in the Win95 days.  Every time he tried to reinstall his OS, even with an intact complete DOS install, it would crash during the Windows setup.  He too replaced his power supply with a 300W unit (which was saying alot in those days) and that still did nothing.  He eventually fixed the problem by replacing one of his memory modules.  He had 4x8MB 72pin (ya, the old days) and it turned out that replacing one of them did the trick.  He just had to find out which one was the bad apple.  The same thing could be causing your difficulties.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Carl
i'd like to see more resolution options like most games have.

640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024

Have a shot at 1280x1024 or higher (D3D only).
This is preview code just so you can take a peek at the difference (or lack in my case). You will need to use the new launcher provided and check the 'Allow non standard modes' box.

Dont complain about non crash bugs, its not finished.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/thomaswhittaker/c_code/freespace/fs2_open_r.rar
http://mysite.freeserve.com/thomaswhittaker/c_code/freespace/Launcher.rar
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 07:16:39 pm by 848 »

Offline RandomTiger

bump