Author Topic: Freespace 2 Ported To OS X  (Read 12983 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Freespace 2 Ported To OS X
Originally posted by Descenterace
Problem with XBox is, it doesn't run existing Windoze games without some effort being put into porting them.  Plus, it crashes.

The XBox crashes? I thought consoles never crashed unless something was wrong with your game media. Then again, it IS a Microsoft product...:p

In the last year Apple has released the G5 (world's fastest personal computer),

That's just utter bull****. Apple rigged the benchmarks. The better Athlon XPs leave the G5 in their dust.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 11:20:58 am by 1099 »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
I actually don't really see the merit in being the fastestest. as long as it's fast enough, all is well.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
From http://www.icculus.org/~ravage/freespace2/
If you choose to install movies, they will play but you will not get sound.

:eek2: They coded an MVE player? :eek2:

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by kode
I actually don't really see the merit in being the fastestest. as long as it's fast enough, all is well.

Ever heard of "one-upmanship"?;)
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Goober5000

:eek2: They coded an MVE player? :eek2:

... probably ripped the code from the descent manager mveextract tool...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Originally posted by Woolie Wool

Ever heard of "one-upmanship"?;)

no, can't say I have.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Descenterace
If Mac sucks, Windoze sucks even more.  Doesn't stop me using it, though.  The advantage of Windoze is that almost every PC game has a Windoze version, but Mac and Linux versions are rarer.

I think that Microsoft should produce a single-tasking version of Windoze.  Just the underlying subsystem and drivers.  It would be used for playing games, because if you're in the middle of a game you don't need the multitasking capability.  The Wine program for Linux is similar to this: Linux single-tasks, so it's more stable, and Wine lets you run many (er, some?) Windoze programs, but Wine can't provide DirectX functionality to the level required by most games.  So hows about a cut-down version of XP that doesn't waste 20% of the CPU's processing time multitasking, and instead funnels it all into framerate?

Actualy it is not multitasking itself that takes most of the CPU power - it is the ammount of programs you're simultaniously running.
The problem is that even the games you use today use multiple programs during their operation - the reason why you don't see them is that the API hides them.
Even windows runnign alone had several tasks running simultaniously.
So multitasking is a must have....

Efficient management of doing so is quite another thing.

Someone please tell me, how come MS could have prorammed CD-ROM handling in such a dumbass manner, that a perpiphery that has delay in ms (in secs actually when early accesing a CD) has precedence over any other application or other source of input!

Is this a bug solvable in registry ('cause some pure installs don't seem to be doing it) or new CD drives are too fast to notice it (I mean clean ones, that don't have trouble recognising a CD)? ...or did our burned CDs deteoriate so far....I doubt since it does with even ordinary pressed CDs too.

So there is much to be optimised about the issue, however NT based multitask management is one of the few good advancements that have taken place since the start of our MS Windows calvaria.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Its amazing how many people seem to have a bad rep with WinXP. I have had it crash once so badly that I had to reset the system, that was Jedi Knight academy which is a souped up Quake3 engine that requires obscene amounts of power to make it run well.

I have three comps with winXP and all work fine with minimal problems... mostly due to my brother pissing around.

The G5 was the most powerful home computer... Now with AMD`s 64 bit Athlon64FX the PC is again. (having seen some reviews, me getting soon, drool.)

But really, Mac is really a minor platform that hangs on by being useful to a small number of people (newspapers, mags ect). I know of no one that willingly has a mac as a home comp, sorry.

But anything that increases FS`s fanbalse is a push to get the licence mess sorted so a company may buy in to asuch a fan base. Fs2MAC is a welcome port...
You`d need more than a lightsabre to kick a shivans arse!!!

I pick wahoonies for a living! Maybe that why I have no friends,

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
The guys at Red vs. Blue made a pretty funny short movie about the availability of games on Mac. ;)

http://www.redvsblue.com/appleswitch.shtml

Anyway, I posted at the IMG forum where dev of the Mac version seems to be announced, but the forum's down right now.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

The XBox crashes? I thought consoles never crashed unless something was wrong with your game media. Then again, it IS a Microsoft product...

Some of the beta units did crash.  All retail units do not crash except for game related issues; that is a problem across all three platforms.

Games can cause the PS2, GC AND the XBox to crash, but that isn't the fault of the console.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Xbox is the only console I've ever see crash, untill the console's OS is an a rewriteable drive of some sort as well as the game media it'self, I'm sticking with my PC
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
my n64 crashed all the time :D
ofc it probly had somthin to do with the nonstop 17 straight hours of play we put it through regularly :)
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
ok - MACS ARE NOT EVIL, anymore *gasp - i just said that!*

Mac hardware is kinda trashy, they overhype their products (But who doesn't!) the largest problem with their system is the hardware is proprietary.

However, their operating system is a dream come true - it is proof that you can have a unix for the masses, something I have been hoping for with linux for a long time.  

Since OSX is a Unix, and Linux is a Unix - and porting FS2 to linux is really porting to Unix - then almost automagically there was an FS2 to OSX the moment we ported to linux -- Infact from their errata it looks like they are using our linux build to base off of (for which they should credit us otherwise they're violating IP law[/i])
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

I've never seen a PS2 or a Gamecube crash, but I saw an XBox crash four times in ten minutes.  It was some time after the console was released, so I doubt the machine was a beta in this case.  I don't think this particular incident had anything to do with instabilities in the console, though.
Eventually, they realised that because the console was buried inside a plastic point-of-sale display (to prevent theft), it was probably getting too hot... so they took it out and it worked OK.
I never knew consoles were so sensitive to heat.

Regarding multitasking:
Because multitasking works by allocating timeslices to different processes, the operating system has to spend some time determining which process should get the next timeslice.  Depending on the efficiency of the algorithm, this can use between 5 and 20 percent of CPU time...
I am actually quite amazed at how many seperate processes some games use in an attempt to 'speed things up'!  Parallel processing is possible with the P4 and Athlon series of processors, but the OS still has to manage things which slows everything down.
Didn't FS2 only use a single process?
And Descent 4 will only use a single process because I took one look at multithreaded programs and thought: how the hell do you debug one of them?  Besides, multithreaded programming is not advisable for games.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Bobboau
Xbox is the only console I've ever see crash, untill the console's OS is an a rewriteable drive of some sort as well as the game media it'self, I'm sticking with my PC

Well, that's called progress. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I know of no one that willingly has a mac as a home comp, sorry.

You do now.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hmmm, so were getting macers now?
:)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
but there is still one question that continues to burn in the back of my mind....

WHY IN THE F**K DO YOU STILL USE 1 BUTTON MICE!!!!
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not all of them do. It's like asking PC people why they all use Outlook Express.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Macs kick your ass for graphics, anything you can do on a PC you can do twice as fast on a Mac, and you can just get a new 2 button mouse, its not that hard.
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!