Author Topic: IMPORTANT: FS2 Full Install Download @ FilePlanet  (Read 24351 times)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
IMPORTANT: FS2 Download @ FP (update 19 Nov)
what about one thread for newbies where they can ask Q's and are welcomed just idea:)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Bobboau
we may need a newbie forum

and I think we should have a full install relese, as FS2 to FSO patch relese, and just the executable, all future releses will consist of a full instal, just the executable, and a patch from the previus version (new media and the exe)

and the pre-relese beta build why don't we just call it 3.6b

How much of a learning curve do we want people to have to go through. I mean currently the releases require you to have some knowledge of freespace modding. I mean how easy do we want it. I mean the simple problems people have often keep them posting. If we are courteous and kind and answer the question no matter how annoying, people will stay and keep posting here. additionally. maybe a designated help staff might help, like a support side of the team. Say like part of the team writing the readme could handle all support questions. There must be a way to tone down the "n00b" threads and the like and still keep people from being insulted.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Agreed. Designated help staff.... hmmm.

Time to open up the email again.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

i wouldn't mind helping out in a newbie forum by giving links to answers, or answering directly. i don't have much time, but i think i can handle a thread or 5 a day, more if it is a really FAQ.  i suggest a forum specificly for this, so noobs don't get irritated answers from veterans trying to get a feature request through to the SCP team, with this forum being swamped by "i can't get m sinempas too w0rk, there wa to briht OMG, WTF hlp me plz."
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
I too would really like to help any way I can. Too bad there seem's to be nothing I can do :(

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Anything you can think of that could be asked about, write down in the appropriate place in the FS Doc Wiki.

Now, regarding technical support: Personally, while I consider myself to be quite above average on the "Be A Good Newbie And Read The FAQ Before Asking Questions"-o-meter when I'm checking something new out, I still think it'd be worth it to have static pages with Q&A in a primary position, with the FAQ forum as the sescondary and interactive help center. I'd much rather read an organized list of frequently asked questions to see if any are relevant to my problem than sift through some forum's search function or "READ ME FIRST!!!" thread.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill