Author Topic: [WIP] The Battleship Warspite  (Read 3892 times)

[WIP] The Battleship Warspite
VERY rough sketch (that's why it's a WIP) of the Space Battleship Warspite. The purple thingies are mounts for where the turret will go eventually.  I'm hoping to make the superstructure not suck eventually.

"I think they all look great. None of the appendages look like a dick."
"Your mind hurts me." - Shrike

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Better perspective shots would be nice.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
the bridge suck, and it also intersect the hull. Not much a rendering problem anymore, but there could be collision detection problems

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ahh....You're trying to make something like a WW2 battleship...
Something like THIS:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

:eek2: Wow!  Trashman!  that model is beautiful!
Rayquaza?¿

Offline diamondgeezer

Trash mate, I dunno what size you were thinking of making that thing but it's sitting there shouting 'patrol boat' at me :nod:

Oh, and way to hijack the Baron's thread :D

Offline Lynx

Hmm the original FS Textures look bad on TrashMans model. It screams for individual textures.:D
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Baron, i like the ovverall ship, a lot, the bridge indeed needs work, it neds to be shorter, and indeed intersecting poly's is reported to be bad for FS. i'd make it a nice corrvette.

btw, the warspite was an corvette or AWACS during the main FS2 camp, right?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
The Warspite was a Deimos in the TAG missile test missions. But it was also a sweet-looking RN battleship in the 30s and 40s. Dunno why they gave a corvette a battleship name...

Baron, I can't really comment on your ship 'cos I can't see what it looks like - post some isometric and top/side elevations, so we can have a good look at it. :)

Trashman: slap some decent textures on that thing, and make it less symmetrical from top to bottom - it's rather plain at the moment. Also, I'd have to agree with DG on this one - if it's a battleship, it needs to look much more massive and heavy. Give it bigger superstructure, and more polys to give it a bit of detail. :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline J3Vr6

From that perspective of the warspite, it looks like a submarine mixed with a cruise ship.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Originally posted by TrashMan
Ahh....You're trying to make something like a WW2 battleship...
Something like THIS:

Well ... no :p It's too flat and boxy for my tastes. I wanted something more like this:

only not :p

I'm going to completely redo the model to make it less curvy and more box-y. I've made about half a dozen of these so-called "model sketches", trying to find the right one. In the end I might junk the turrets entirely and just make rows of broadside torpedo tubes, a la Space Dildoe HonorHarrington / Wing Commander Movie :D

Offline magatsu1

would look alot better minus the turrets on the lower half. yhe others look fine.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
Wow, nice ship ya got there! Nice indeed! :D

Ermm... In those first pics it looks like a big ass steamboat lol
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Those earlier thumbs were too small for me , he he..

I like it, though I agree too gun heavy on the bottom (unless it was upside down? (kidding)

Baron, since you like the Space-Battleship concept have you considered doing any of the Starbazer ones? I'd love to get the Andromeda!!! (the one with the twin wavemotion guns on the bow).   I DO have the Yamato (aArgo), and Harlock's  Arcadia somewhere in cob format but need to be optimized and subobjected... If you are interested and would send them back to me ASAP!!! :)

http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon/4-3-1-1051829698?m=0&pg=3&ro=2&co=0

http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon/4-3-5-1061632919?m=0&pg=3&ro=2&co=4

and darn it I still have Andromeda (TV) and last starfighter GUNSTAR, as well as Buck Roger's Star Fighter sitting on ym damn drive waiting for a good optimizer! LOL

someone PM me! ;7
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
*For future reference*

If you're going to post a link to Mikhael's stuff you ought to mention who did it or otherwise you're hijacking your own thread :lol:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Completely Redone!!!!!(!)

With apologies to Mikhail - I think the basic form borrows a little heavily, as well as from a certain Star Trek ship :\

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by pyro-manic
Trashman: slap some decent textures on that thing, and make it less symmetrical from top to bottom - it's rather plain at the moment. Also, I'd have to agree with DG on this one - if it's a battleship, it needs to look much more massive and heavy. Give it bigger superstructure, and more polys to give it a bit of detail. :)

Who said I'm done?:wink:
 Anyway, the texturing is not good, it was a 2 min job (as allways)... darn... I have to work more on it

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Baron---Looks a lot like a sub. Nice job. Could be usefull as a "Subspace attack sub" :D ;)

Trashman--good model, but too flat and boxy. Make it use the Y dimension more, and add more smooted bits ;)

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Point taken...

And it's not a battleship, it's a battlecruiser (3km).

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
.......Less armour, more speed?
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com