Author Topic: FS2 rules all  (Read 7127 times)

Originally posted by diamondgeezer
I've finally gotten around to setting up the avi versions of the movies and getting them to play. You know what occoured to me as I watched the intro? FS2 rules. It's a ****ing awesome game and I love it to little tiny pieces.

Discuss

DAMN STRAIGHT!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
That's what i thought when i looked at the FS1 intro again. FS2 is crap compared to THAT :)

FS1 intro > everything else :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Lynx

Right, but the FS2 intro has a better music score. And why does the FS2 intro look as if it's using mpeg compression or something?
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline diamondgeezer

The FS1 intro does indeed rule all. But I prefer Bosh's monologues to the Ancient ones. So it balances. Except that Hallfight pwnz the Colossus movie. Er... there was a point to this post but I forgot what it was...

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I ... I can feel them following me!!! :nervous:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Send fighters! I can feel them following me. Oh god, we're dead! We're all dead! What the hell is that?! Scramble the fighters!
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Dues Ex Machina comes to mind while reading this topic :D
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the FS2 intro was a real disapointment for me after spending many hours just watching the FS1 intro over and over again, becase it was just so damn cool (exept for the last two or three seconds, for some reason that manticor, ash's ship blowing up, and the scream he give just didn't seem right)
I mean the whole musical score at the begining the way it sweeps from sceen to sceen the look of that apollo (wich very much resemples the in game effects with the fire spewing out and the electrical archs) the vice acting, the way ash seemed insain with fear, and frustration of his inablity to convey the impending doom following him, before this the best ingame cutsceen I had seen was the descent 2 intro, and in comparison there is QUITE an upgrade between them
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lynx

Yeah, the FS1 intro added at least some personality to FS. You actually felt sorry for the guy. FS2 had nothing like this. All the GTVA ships could've been piloted by robots, no one wouldn't have noticed.

BTW I when I was young and first watched the intro the name ash cracked me up. The german translation made spelled it like arsch, which is the german word for a$$.:D
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Lynx
Yeah, the FS1 intro added at least some personality to FS. You actually felt sorry for the guy. FS2 had nothing like this. All the GTVA ships could've been piloted by robots, no one wouldn't have noticed.

you didnt go crazy nutz when that mant. was raping the herc in Fs2 intro? thats the scene that got me addicted :D
anyway, FS2 is nothing without its cutcenes
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
The FS1 intro does indeed rule all. But I prefer Bosh's monologues to the Ancient ones. So it balances. Except that Hallfight pwnz the Colossus movie. Er... there was a point to this post but I forgot what it was...

*nods to everything DG has said*

*wanders off in a similar state of confusion*
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
we are afraid...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline SnakeEyes

• Lost generation
I first saw FS on a computer videogame show that was on here in spain. They kept on putting the FS2 intro full and I hadn't seen anything as good as Wing Commander before.
When I went to England that summer.......(that was 4 or 3 years ago..**sigh**) I promised myself I would buy that game and got it. When I started playing I saw I needed to go through FS1 and got my cousin to send it to me from the States.

So I played FS2 before FS1. I suppose I fell in love with the FS2 intro because of the feeling it first gave me. But I admit FS1 intro has more....personality, and I even think the music has a better treatment.
But well.... the two games for me are one game with two parts.

PD - I hated when they actually gave personality to the WC3 main character.
I feel like an exile......

Offline diamondgeezer

One thing I must critisize about FS1 is the sound effect for exploding fighters. Sounds like a china plate breaking, it's ridiculous. I think I'll port the FS2 effect next time I play FS1...

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I like FS2 more than FS1 (of course, I bought FS2, played thru it, found FS1+ST for a 10 buck price, so I bought that about a year later).

FS2 is better action-wise and storyline wise, but FS1 has better cutscenes.

Some of FS1's music is better, too, but I wish [V] would move away a bit from the hardcore techno and add some more instruments (check out Inferno or Hegemonia for some of what I mean).

Offline Lynx

I think FS2 was just a reharsh of the first part with ugly looking ship designs. Just replace NTF with Vasudans and Bosh's followers with the Hammer of Light and it's pretty much the same. Sure, the endgame is different, but not that much. And most of the cutscenes odf the second part seemed overly theatralic and constructed to me(Bosh's dialoges the most). Sure it had it's cool elements but to FS1 it was like the sequels of "Jaws" to the original.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]I have to thank Edge magazine for showing me freespace, it was one of it's top 100 pc games. I saw the gold edition in a shop one day and just went 'what the hell'. Mucho fun has occurred since then.

As an interesting side note, I managed to get my hands on a copy of Xwing alliance the other day and have been playing it a bit. It's not as immersive as FS2 is to me now which is ironic as I used to swear by X vs. Tie.

FS does rule. :)
[/color]