Author Topic: "Impact Effects"  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Is anyone aware of what this Detail Options setting does?  My integrated graphics chipset has a little difficulty running full-blown 32-bit SCP stuff at a decent FPS (and doesn't support HT&L, so I can't go that route), so I've been tweaking the in-game graphics settings for better performance.  I've found that turning off the planets and background does wonders, as does reducing the number of displayed stars; I've been toning down most of the other settings as well, while keeping the model detail and 3D textures options high, so the game still looks relatively good.

The one option that doesn't seem to actually -do- anything is "Impact Effects".  The game manual states that this "changes the number of weapon impact effects rendered", which I assume to mean visual effects, since basic weapon types (lasers, missiles, and bombs) all essentially make the same type of sound per class when they hit something; however, even at the lowest setting, missile and bomb explosions (and shockwaves) still appear, so I'm curious as to just what it is that this option changes.

Does anyone know?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Impact effects. Which is what those little sparkly things are that fly off after you hit a ship with your laser, and the little plasma flames that also form.

And why on Earth would you want to play the game without explosions? That's, like, impossible!

Offline Antares

Nope.  That falls under a seperate setting, the "Particles" one.  That controls how many particles are spewed when a ship takes damage.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Antares

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Impact effects?  You mean like when I try to write my name in onthe side of a Sathanas with my uber phaser? I manage to carve the first two letters and get half-way done with the third before the initial explosions start dissapearing! ;7

I'm sure if I really wanted to I could find the value to tweak for explosion duration long enough to write

"Carl was here!" ;)
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Falcon

Or make it long enough to do some artwork :nod: :drevil:

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
no, impact effects are the little flames that trail from you, as UT said... particles are the little peices of the ship that fall off and disappear when you shoot something with a laser when it is unsheilded... most noticeable with fighters at close range, once ther shiends are down...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW