Author Topic: 12_05_Build Problem  (Read 8016 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Remember the performance drain on the 11_18 build?

It was suddenly gone with the 12_01 build. We were all happy.

We download the 12_05 build. It's back. Not quite as bad as it was, but it's back.

first 32-bit build / 18_11 build / 1_12 build / 5_12 build

To Parts Unknown:

max FPS: 70 / 36 / 51 / 42
min FPS: 50 / 17 / 37 / 20
avg FPS: 65 / 20 / 41 / 31

i'll try to run it with that line thingy (thanks for putting it into the launcher)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
line thingy doesn do a thing.

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
[color=cc9900]I didn't really notice a speed difference, it still looks like around 50-70 fps for me for both 12/1 and 12/5. Then again, it's hard to notice framerates when it consistently freezes for a second or so whenever something warps in or something interesting happens. I thought it loaded texes and stuff at the start, not mid-mission.[/color]

Offline RandomTiger

What 'line thingy are you talking about'? -timerbar? Thats not really going to tell you much.

The change that you might be noticing is this:

FS2 used to cache most pcx files needed before mission starts but not ani's (explosions, warps etc) becuase caching the full thing would take a lot (in those days) of video memory.

The (I think) stutters are frames of the ani's being loading in a gametime.

So I changed it to cache *everything* which lead to longer loading times but gameplay without stutters. However the extra memory usage caused low memory machines to go slower becuase they were so short on resources.

Once I released this I took it back out, now Im in the process of changing ani caching to be off by default, but you can turn it on using a flag. I'm also trying to find a better balance so some ani's that dont need to be cached like breifing ani's arent.

However lower spec machines may well have the continuing problem that if the flag is off they will have stutters and if on they will have general slowdowns. We need to find a way to reduce this.

I'll post when I have a new build ready.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 09:28:04 am by 848 »

if more people would post these kind of specs, i could turn it all into a nice little excell sheet with graph, if that would be usefull.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:nod: It might be.  Start a new thread.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Tested it some more. It doesnt happen every mission or every game -- sometimes it plays just as the 12_01 build. And it happens only when theres a lot of ANIs displayed i think. That might be our problem.

Also, it threw me back to desktop once without giving any error message; something SCP had NEVER done on this system before.

Originally posted by Goober5000
:nod: It might be.  Start a new thread.

done, you might wish to sticky it.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Originally posted by Lightspeed
Also, it threw me back to desktop once without giving any error message; something SCP had NEVER done on this system before.

Yeah, the 12_05 build is giving me a ton of trouble with the Homesick campaign(i haven't tried anything else)

Sometimes the game goes wacko (speed is set to 0, can't turn or anything, if you hit afterburners the sound works but nothing happens, you can hit alt-j, says warp initiated, the sound plays, but nothing happens. - this usually happens at end of mission), other times it just CTDs on me. And another time the whole screen went black and i had to reboot. I get a CTD about every 3rd mission. Meh.

Athlon XP 1600+
GeForce4 Ti4200
512mb DDR Ram
Windows ME

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by DragonClaw

Yeah, the 12_05 build is giving me a ton of trouble with the Homesick campaign(i haven't tried anything else)

Sometimes the game goes wacko (speed is set to 0, can't turn or anything, if you hit afterburners the sound works but nothing happens, you can hit alt-j, says warp initiated, the sound plays, but nothing happens.

Athlon XP 1600+
GeForce4 Ti4200
512mb DDR Ram
Windows ME

I had the same thing happen to me.

Athlon XP 2100+
Asus N7N8X Deluxe
Radeon 9800
! Gig DDR
Windows XP
DX 9
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
This build must be the most weird i have ever had. While making the performance test mission I discovered the following:

As soon as i put about ~15 capships or installations into a mission, FS2 will crash before even attempting to load it.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The speed seems to be about the same as the last build for me (a good thing). I ran through a couple of PI missions and everything worked perfectly, and as a refreshing change, I did not (yet) encounter any of the random CTDs that I have been getting in all other SCP versions.

As soon as i put about ~15 capships or installations into a mission, FS2 will crash before even attempting to load it.

Don't all the versions do that? At least the original 1.2 did this (something to do with the number of turrets/subsystems, I think), although it was not really a problem since you never had to deal with that many capital ships in one mission.

! Gig DDR

:D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 04:05:24 pm by 296 »

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
yeah, it happens with other builds too, just checked.

Still, I hope the next build will work better again.

The great thing about this build though: the -pcx32 command line makes everything look really great (especially the interface, although i think it looked like that on vanilla FS2 too when configured correctly? I already started to wonder why it looked worse with SCP :wtf: ) without decreasing the performance at all.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I can see through many ships... Even though the geometry is solid...

And you should all know my specs by now...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
hmm let me try to remember

duron 600 with some memory and a GF2
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yep, 320Mb of ram... win2k. :D

You know me too well :shaking:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline RandomTiger

Perhaps you guys who are having problems could try to narrow it down. Does the same stuff happen in OGL? Is it particular parameters that seem to make it happen?

Offline RandomTiger

Actually this is getting a bit out of hand.
When are we rolling out the new bug report system?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by RandomTiger
When are we rolling out the new bug report system?

Hm.  I guess we should do that soon.  Look for an announcement this week.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
OpenGL crashes me straight to desktop. It never worked in-mission here.