Author Topic: Official: What Would You Like To See In FS3?  (Read 20964 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Official: What Would You Like To See In FS3?
:welcome:
:)
Even though it would be cool, it would be very unlikely and what would be the point of it. You wouldn't have any part of it or any affect of the surroundings
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Multidocking :nod:
And when'd DaveB decide to come back?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Hot, young, female, blonde, naked, virgin models in cockpit of every ship. ;7
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Multidocking :nod:

I can only agree with this.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Cabbie

Originally posted by Lightspeed

Go to a doctor. There's definately something wrong with your colour sight.

::slaps forehead::

Duh...

No, I think I need to have my brain checked. Don't mind me carry on...

Offline Kie99

How about a  new immensely powerful species which emerges, forcing the Shivans, Terrans and Vasudans to unite, and also more teams, such as Friendly, Hostile, Unknown and Neutral, so you could have a 14 cap-ship dogfight with all of them against each other!
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
I think that right about now i would like fs3 to come complete with a disclaminer stating that there will not be an FS4.  That way i don't have to deal with it.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
What Would You Like To See In FS3?

Huge scale Conspiracy
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The Golden Heart, King Arthur measuring a puigon's flaps/second and a big conspiracy featuring Mulder and Scully...nah just give me something to shoot at.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
    • http://josherickson.org
Originally posted by kietotheworld
How about a  new immensely powerful species which emerges, forcing the Shivans, Terrans and Vasudans to unite, and also more teams, such as Friendly, Hostile, Unknown and Neutral, so you could have a 14 cap-ship dogfight with all of them against each other!
I echo that. FRED based team 'creation' would rock. (e.g. 'the good', 'the bad', 'the ugly', 'the damn ugly')
I have big plans, now if only I could see them through.

LiberCapacitas duo quiasemper
------------------------------
Nav buoy - They mark things

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
A big campaign of at least 50 Missions! Large fleet-to-fleet engagements!

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

More small capships, like corvetes and crusiers.  And more direct involvement with them, almost as if you were their wingman.

And better AI for wingmen.  I know everyone has said this, but its got to be better to have large fighter engagements than the usual yourself versus a shivan wing over and over.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Your wingmen are only useful against fighters, that's the matter.

Offline milo

• http://www.starshatter.com

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Considering the reviews I've heard for his games this is worrying news.

Anyway this deserves it's own topic so I'm making one over on Hard Light. Here's the link http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25162.0.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 03:25:42 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Freelancer graphics for the Freespace Universe...what I mean by that is the ability to fly into nebulas and back out again, to orbit planets and do whatever the hell you want. That kinda flexability, only with an added mission briefing, etc, etc.

Hey, I think Freelancer was very fun! :D

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
1. GET RID OF ENGINE GLOW! There is no air resistence in space, thus a ship only needs to fire its engines when it's accelerating. Every space game in the world makes this mistake.

2. Travel in the Freespace games is too fast. When the action heats up, Command always has a destroyer up its sleeve that it can send from one place to another in a few minutes. It makes the universe seem way too small. Space travel should be a matter of days, at least. On a similar note, orders should come more often from the fleet's flag officers, rather than from Command. Communication with HQ shouldn't be that easy.

3. More of an inclusion of planetary warfare in the story's framework. I don't mean making it a part of the actual game experience, but just making the occurence of ground battles an important part of the picture. It would make the setting feel more complete. I definitely would not have made the Shivans a purely spaceborne species.

4. Fewer new ships. It seems logical that these big, ponderous, expensive warships would be designed to last a long time, undergoing periodic refits rather than getting fired every ten years.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
1. GET RID OF ENGINE GLOW! There is no air resistence in space, thus a ship only needs to fire its engines when it's accelerating. Every space game in the world makes this mistake.

Independence War or I-War 2 behave this way, similarly B5: IFH does too.

The thing is, they're all newtonian space sims. Not arcade space sims like FreeSpace or Wing Commander.

2. Travel in the Freespace games is too fast. When the action heats up, Command always has a destroyer up its sleeve that it can send from one place to another in a few minutes. It makes the universe seem way too small. Space travel should be a matter of days, at least. On a similar note, orders should come more often from the fleet's flag officers, rather than from Command. Communication with HQ shouldn't be that easy.

That's a design issue. Travel is that way because in-system subspace is practically instantaneous. (between systems can take hours, days, or even weeks)

"Command" is effectively a communications officer for your fleet feeding you the info from the fleet brass, etc. (an FS2 mission where you defend your fleet headquarters when evacuating really shows this)

Now I do agree with you on "combat escallation" happening a bit too much. The Shivans have a capship, we send in one, they send in some more, we send in bombers, etc.

Having capships doing their own missions, occasionally helping you and then you occasionally being given orders to leave your current area to help them would work the best. Something to help add to the feeling of a war machine in the system.

3. More of an inclusion of planetary warfare in the story's framework. I don't mean making it a part of the actual game experience, but just making the occurence of ground battles an important part of the picture. It would make the setting feel more complete. I definitely would not have made the Shivans a purely spaceborne species.

I do agree that planetary warfare should play a bigger role in the story when dealing with Terrans or Vasudans. FS2 has some mention of it in the first mission and in a multiplayer mission, those really make you feel like you're a cog in a larger operation when you hear about the ground assaults, etc.

The Shivans not caring about planets is something that adds to their mystery. However that doesn't remove the idea of incorporating things like disabling beam cannons that are bombarding cities, etc.

4. Fewer new ships. It seems logical that these big, ponderous, expensive warships would be designed to last a long time, undergoing periodic refits rather than getting fired every ten years.

FS is actually pretty good at this. You see lots of 30+ year old vessels being used in FS2 as well as some of the new ships, which are anywhere from brand new to 10 years old.

Fan mods though like going a little gung-ho on new ship designs though.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

There are a few like those two Ace mentioned which use newtonian physics. The rest use arcade physics and it's no bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Yes it's nonsense but the game would be a completely different one if you didn't have it.

However the Ferrium project (freespace inspired project)  is developing an engine which will allow you to have both newtonian and arcade style physics.  Once (if due to the recent legal troubles) Freespace is ported to it you'll be able to play Freespace with realistic physics.

That's a universe consideration. [V] set up the freespace universe in this way and if we changed it the game wouldn't be Freespace 3.

Besides just cause every other universe sets up with slow space travel doesn't mean FS has to. The fast node travel present in FS2 adds another dimention to the game. Command can't risk pulling it's fleets out of place to go to a battle because if an enemy fleet got round them there would be nothing to stop them all the way to the home systems.

As for Command giving orders directly again that's the way the universe was set up. Personally I quite like it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by karajorma

...Besides just cause every other universe sets up with slow space travel doesn't mean FS has to. ...

The quick subspace travel was a needed tool to give a reason why you have limited time in the 'Good Luck' mission.

As for Command giving orders directly again that's the way the universe was set up. Personally I quite like it.

The only thing I do not understand(or simply I noticed) is that how can Command pay attention to multiple operations? I guess there is not only one 'mission' at the same time. I mean that for example a Hecate is chasing a Ravana in the nebula AND at the same time there is another operation in the Epsilon Pegasi system.