Author Topic: Don't burn me please...  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Zarax

Don't burn me please...
All right, where can i download the actual source code?
CVS doesn't install and search did not brought anything relevant...
I've got a few ideas about managing capship AI and i would try to see if they are feasible...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Zarax

Ok, if anyone at SCP is interested here i've found a very rudimentary but effective way to have capship AI at least via sexp...
It involves having two capships at a certain distance.
If distance is greater than beam range then the ai-chase goal is activated.
Once the ship is in firing range, it would change facing with the set-ship-facing sexp in order to bring it's better armed side, and finally use ai-stand-still to stop the ship in position...
It requires 3 sexps via fred but it might be automated and optimized by creating a refined script into the source...
This way capships doesn't act really smart but at least they engage a realistic positioning and it is useful for realistic battles...
If you want things like outmaneveuring and other fanciness this won't be really what you're looking for but it's better than the current idiotic way imho...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Zarax

Ok, i made a quick test mission with an Orion and a Typhon (me likes good old capships), it is not perfect but they behave like a realistic capship engagement is supposed to... the Orion using its broadside guns while the Typhon using the frontal cannons...
Download itHere
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
[color=cc9900]From what you say, presumably the ships end up sitting there doing nothing at all apart from firing, yes? Sure, the current way may look a little silly, but I much prefer them actually interacting with one another. It's up to the ship designers to turret the ships appropriately from then on.[/color]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and mission designers to give the ships waypoints,
that's how it's suposed to be done
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Zarax

Well, if you look at any FS2 Campaign engagement it is exactly what capships do... Sit up and exchange beam volleys...
The big advantage is that they would move properly and engage this way...
And btw, what do you exactly mean by interacting?
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Choreography.  As opposed to just sitting there and firing.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
well but a way to have a ship chasing another one without a predefined behaviour could be useful, and maybe a defensive behaviour with ships trying to escape when too damaged or the enemy is too strong would be nice too.
Not all the situations can be covered with waypoints.
You'll also need to have the ship to decide what other ship to chase btw

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, a mission designers job includes more than simply placeing two capships next to each and hitting the beem free all sExp, if that's all the effort you put into it then don't be suprised if there movements seem to lack realism. you're suposed to use at least one way point path preferably one for each capship and direct exactly how you want them to fight each other.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Zarax

Well, with some more customization (i suck at FREDing) these sexps can do a lot of work...
Once i will find a reliable way of determining ship position and relative facing automatically i'll base all my capships battle on that script...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well I guess that's another way to do it
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
I don't think that zarax want a system that may let you just put two ships here and there in fred and have a realistic battle anyway.
But I think that this little CapshipAI upgrade may come useful in many situations nonetheless, since it could be an useful addition to your mission script to cover those situations that you haven't designed or that it was impossible to design or that you didn't want to design (multiplayer missions?ships that may or may not be in a mission depending by persistent variables? battles with uncertain outcome?)
not being a fredder, ships not just staying there firing at what comes in range doesn't sound that bad to me..I've seen stupid capships in any space sim I've played so far, just staying there waiting for you to return to base or to destroy them, or moving apparently uselessy independently by the mission's objectives, or just walking to death due to low flexibility on their behaviour.....waypoints and scripts just don't cover always everything

Offline redmenace

Re: Don't burn me please...
Originally posted by Zarax
All right, where can i download the actual source code?
CVS doesn't install and search did not brought anything relevant...
I've got a few ideas about managing capship AI and i would try to see if they are feasible...

*remembers that I have to update the getting started section.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Beowulf

[size=22]BURN![/size]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 09:34:14 pm by 1189 »
Never Forget

"It is always better to avenge dear ones than to induldge in mourning. For every one of us, living in this world means waiting for our end. Let whoever can win glory before death. When a warrior is gone, that will be his best and only bulwark."
                               --Beowulf

"... and no, real life sex is not just a myth. You just need to come out of your house once every while..." ~Tiara

YeeeeHoooooh! is the mood of the day. :p