Author Topic: Bloom effect  (Read 11409 times)

Offline Sticks

Sorry.

I meant to say "post 3.6".  :nervous:

aldo is correct on the implementation, although that will be tweaked a bit from the original version.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Amon_Re

• http://www.kefren.be
Originally posted by Sticks
lol :lol:

I'd forgotten we moved that.

OMG! That's fcking beautifull! :eek2:

Cheers
Sig? What sig?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It would be great to add this to the SCP after 3.6, were you still planning on going for a low-drain version and a pixel-shader version?

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I don't mean to nag, but whats the approximate release date for 3.6? I mean very approximate, like within 3 or 4 months.

And yeah, the bloom or overexpose effect looks awesome. Prince of Persia had it, and so did Beyond Good and Evil. Very swanky stuff.

Regarding per pixel lighting, as someone said Tenebrae has it and thats wroking off the Quake 1 engine. Some of the newer screenshots look totally amazing, Doom 3 quality. I think they're moving the project to the Quake 3 engine now, and it going to be a standalone for Tenebrae 2.0. If we could get that in, it would make as much difference as did the shinemaps (read: tons), perhaps more.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
1.5 months ago
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by Rictor
I don't mean to nag, but whats the approximate release date for 3.6? I mean very approximate, like within 3 or 4 months.

christmas 2003.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

And yeah, the bloom or overexpose effect looks awesome. Prince of Persia had it, and so did Beyond Good and Evil. Very swanky stuff.

Regarding per pixel lighting, as someone said Tenebrae has it and thats wroking off the Quake 1 engine. Some of the newer screenshots look totally amazing, Doom 3 quality. I think they're moving the project to the Quake 3 engine now, and it going to be a standalone for Tenebrae 2.0. If we could get that in, it would make as much difference as did the shinemaps (read: tons), perhaps more.

nar they still use the quake 1, tenebrae 2 uses quake 3 bsps its not compatable with the q3 orginal stuff tho. Its www.tenebrae2.com. It dose look pretty good, especially with some levels made with tenebrae in mind and high res textures.
HT

Offline redmenace

to quote wraith from ST:Armada-Babylon 5
"when its done" :D
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Sticks

Per-pixel lighting is not dependent on the architecture of the game engine. It is dependent on the architecture of the graphics API (DirectX, OpenGL). To utilize (decent) per-pixel lighting in FSOpen, the DX API would need to be converted to use DirectX 9. In OpenGL, it's slightly easier, as only the shader fragment extensions need to be implemented, AFAIK.

The other side of this story is the simple fact that most users' graphics cards do not support pixel shaders greater than 1.4 right now.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I want to upgrade to DX9, but RT don't wana
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
you're hold us back, RandomTiger :mad:
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Bri_Dog

Originally posted by Bobboau
I want to upgrade to DX9, but RT don't wana

Do it anyway just to spite him.

I'll give you a dollar or something.
Sig

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
[color=cc9900]I'm sure he has his reasons. Work with what you've got.[/color]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Odyssey
[color=cc9900]I'm sure he has his reasons. Work with what you've got.[/color]

an old crappy engine they want to upgrade? then I'm missing something :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by HellToupee

nar they still use the quake 1, tenebrae 2 uses quake 3 bsps its not compatable with the q3 orginal stuff tho. Its www.tenebrae2.com. It dose look pretty good, especially with some levels made with tenebrae in mind and high res textures.

Does indeed

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
he's worried that upgradeing will cause our current slowdowns regarding rendering lots of small things (as opposed to rendering a few big things) to get worse. and pissing off RT is one thing I am dead set against doing, he is probly the best coder on the team, all the stuff I've done is mearly an extention of his hard work.

though from what I've read his concerns are nothing to worry about, there doesn't seem to be any signifagant added overhead in DX9, but anyway it's something that would have to wait untill after 3.6.

all the upgrade would likely be is changeing a whole bunch of 8s to 9s and makeing a few changes to the initalisation code, it isn't anywere near as signifigant as the DX8 conversion was (wich is actualy still ongoing)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
if you want this game to have a future: focus on multiplayer first. :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
kazan is going to kill you now.  i doubt he'll think twice before doing so ;)
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

omg! :eek:

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/shots8/quake93.jpg

I've never seen Q1 look...so...wow...If they can do that with the Q1 engine, you guys could pretty much do ANYTHING with the FS2 engine.

Keep up the Excellent work.

*waits for 3.6*

Cor

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, I'm dead set against pissing off Kazan too, unless I'm wearing asbesdose lined medevil armor.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3