Author Topic: StarLancer for $1.99  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by Sandwich

LOL! I actually wasn't thinking along those lines at all! I just thought that sentence was bizarre. :p

Sure you weren't. :p
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Falcon

Starlancer is okay but not that good. In other words its sorta luke-warm.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Knight Templar

Sure you weren't. :p

:rolleyes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Lynx

I rather liked that game. The ship designs were mostly good(IMO a lot better than in FS2) and they used individual texture jobs for most capships, compared to sucky repetive tiling textures in FS2 on most caps. It had overall a dark, gritty feeling; and one thing I really liked was that space was actually dark, even the nebulas in the background were faint and blended good into the whole picture, contrary to the 'into your face style' of the Freelancer and FS nebulas for example. Thee weapon graphics were good too, the laser bolts looked like bolts and not like stretched balls of color like some FS weapons.

I liked most of the missions, but the story was rather simple and uninspired; Russians could have made good enemys in a good story, but they chose to insert a 'MUAHAHA, I'm so evil, I'm going to execute my prisoners!' general in the intro movie to make sure that everyone knows that the russians are the bad boys. Someone I know talked to Erin Roberts once and asked him why the single player campaign's story sucked, and he answered that they were focussing on the multiplayer component of the game mainly; but sadly, most people hadn't fast enough modems to play it on the net.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 2FB

• http://www.2fb.net
i will be you tell that someone you know that knows Erin to make a SL2 or another Space Sim that does not look like FreeLancer, but more like Starlancer with a better sotriline, like in the 800 year between the 2 games

Offline Lynx

I wish that was a sentence.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by 2FB
i will be you tell that someone you know that knows Erin to make a SL2 or another Space Sim that does not look like FreeLancer, but more like Starlancer with a better sotriline, like in the 800 year between the 2 games

Main screen turn on.

And so on

Offline 2FB

well, can you tell that someone you know that knows Erin to make a SL2 or another Space Sim that does not look like FreeLancer, but more like Starlancer with a better sotriline, like in the 800 year between the 2 games

• Koala-monkey
Well why didn't you say that?

*still has no idea*

Offline 2FB

well my english isnot perfect, but..... *signh* just pretend you haven't read my last 2 messages

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Petrarch, he's asking you to talk to that person you know (the one who talked to Erin Roberts). He wants you to get the word to Erin Roberts that the rest of us want Starlancer II.

I played Starlancer in multiplayer (both cooperative and in the various non coop modes) with some guys I know, over modem. With all of us on 56k modems, the game ran pretty damn well. Coop mode was the most fun, but the game is very poorly balanced for Coop play. In SP mode, the human player has an advantage in combat at all times. In Coop, you've got three (we had three anyway) humans whipping ass in obscene, over the top, rude ways.  In that one mission where one of the bonus goals is to take down a Coalition capship before it jets (the Krasnaya?), I usually have to work hard to get it before it gets away. With two friends, we had the old ***** disabled in under a minute, denuded of all external subsystems. It was just WRONG.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
IMHO Starlancer easily beats Freespace. It has LOT better graphics, effects and models, and I especially like the Cold War-style story line. The cutscenes are also very well done. Too bad no one has (at least not yet) released a mission editor for it.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

• Koala-monkey
I know someone who's spoken to Erin Roberts?

I bought the game when it 1ST came out for 39.99!!!
I really loved how the game actually took place within the solar system... it added the extra bit of "psudo-realism" in that we couldnt quite travel past our star yet
But for 1.99 I might buy another copy just to sit around in case my old copy get too old or lost!

ahh mission editor... that'd be sweet :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 11:19:47 am by 1700 »
There is nothing more annoying than Mr. Garibaldi when he's right.
- Ivanova

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
I know someone who's spoken to Erin Roberts?

I thought you were Erin Roberts.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

• Koala-monkey
Intriguing. I'll look into it.

Offline Falcon

If there were a Starlancer II what would the storyline focus on?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Islamic fundamentalists in spaceships trying to take over the solar system most likely :rolleyes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

The previews for History of the World part2? Right after "Hitler on Ice", they had "Jews in Space".

All those Stars of David flying around dogfighting with the Islamic symbols... Not THAT'S entertainment...

and that song was catchy too "We're Jews, in space..." La la la la la la la!... ;)

Wow I need help, badly... :nervous:

Er, I'm gonna go listen to The Last Starfighter for the 50th time.
  Centauri will make it better "Always trust Centauri!" :p
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Falcon
If there were a Starlancer II what would the storyline focus on?

Well, considering that the Alliance was winning at the end of Starlancer, and they were crushed before the beginning of Freelancer, what the hell happened? And just how did that war last for a hundred years? What happened?

That's what the game would have to focus on. You could EASILY fit several campaigns into the span between Starlancer and Freelancer.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]