Author Topic: another find the feature  (Read 18440 times)

I dare say that his code is actually rebuilt on top of the uber-fast HTL code since it's going at 65-85fps for me.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
shiny = reflective.

Another map is a useless waste.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Solatar

Nothing should be shiny but not reflective. Shiny things reflect light, which is why they are shiny.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Holy smoke!

Just look at this!

I LOVE THE NEW AMBIENT FACTOR!
I LOVE THE ENVIRONMENTAL MAPPING!

The only prob with the new build: If I turn on trueform it gets slow as hell, with it turned off I don't seem to have any slowdowns at all. I'll do a proper performance test tomorrow.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by Solatar
Nothing should be shiny but not reflective. Shiny things reflect light, which is why they are shiny.

In that case is there any way we can control the glossiness of  the specular? Right now specular on cockpits doesn't have nearly enough gloss.

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Thats awfully purty bob
the effect is obscenely overdone on Terran ships; i didnt test any Vasudan caps, but the toths in the test missions looked alright.

Test mission: Greyface
Karmas skybox, LS 32-bit TGA art

Bob, it olny renders backround art.....i wanna see me in the reflections :P

notice the planet.....

It looks amazing with a skybox

the effect looks alot better on darker ships

Lightspeed already pointed this out, it look ****ing awesome on Shivans. Its renderd in perfect subtley.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 09:39:26 pm by 1243 »
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I myself nearly pissed my pants the first time I saw it on an Nephelem (that is my favoreite shivan ship), and it's just amaseing to fly over a big ship and haveing all that reflaected detail rippleing below you

there do seem to be some small bugs in the setup of the cubemap (some if not all the reflections are out of alignement)

and this is not ever going to be reflecting weapons or other ships, it's just not how this works
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
try it on the seraphim....my god the seraphim looks EVIL in the techroom - imagine it In-game!!!

And I still dont know how to use the skybox, or whether im using it and it makes much of a difference. I entered everything correctly - but my background is still there. Is the skybox supposed to replace those or simply add on to them?
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think it adds on
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you know, there is a differance between diffusive reflectance and direct reflectance. its like comparing a shiny silver plate to a dull titanium panel. you could use a second 24 bit texture for reflctane mapping you could assign the red channel to diffuse reflectance, green for env reflectance, and blue for mirror reflectance (or any other feature requiring a map).
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Sticks

ooh, that's a good idea

R for Glowmap
G for Specmap
B for Envmap map

Environment map map sounds lame. I need to find the correct vernacular for that.

Although, I don't think that would work for the glowmaps now that I think of it, as those utilize color...as do a few specmaps also

Ideas, ideas...
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
environment could be held in the alpha mask of a shine map
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
would that mean like.....you would only need one texuture for Glow, spec, and evn?

kewl...
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Ok, did my brain just bug out? i coulda sworn there were some awesome pics of the enterprise using Bobs code in this thread.

--Rga
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I made one in the modding forum, that is were tehy are
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
am I the only one to dislike the fact that everything looks glassy now? The fenris is all grey, stained, battle sworn, not some kind of stylish mirro :doubt:
That's great for cockpits and stuff, not for hulls ( well, depends of the ship, of course ). it should be there, but so faint that you can't recognise planet03.pcx on the wing of your fighter...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Wes

Originally posted by karajorma
Okay. I must be doing something wrong cause as soon as I run this build all the specular lighting and glowmaps disappear.

I'm also getting this problem. It might be caused by some older change though as I haven't downloaded a new build in a couple of months.

Offline Wes

Oh and I agree with you Nico. It looks a little over the top judging from those screenshots, also verging on tacky.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
id like to avoid using an alpha chanel because it prevents one from useing the 8x compression advantage of the dds format (using dxt1). using other dxt formats decreases the compression ratio. if the glow map rendering code was altered in a manner that it would use a greyscale image rather than a color image, then you could combine glow/spec/env map into a single 24 bit image file. that way your texture would be in one map, and your effects would be in the other. usind dxt1 dds files, both the maps file and the texture file would still take up half as much memory as a single tga texture. the downside to this idea is that it would require a total overhaul of the glowmap code. in addition it would render any maps made by the community useless. of course all one would have to do is convert their env, glow, and shine maps to greyscale, then paste them into seprate channels in 24bit image in photoshop.

as for making the glowmaps greyscale without loosing light color data, it would be tricky. the way i understand them, they are simply rendered fullbright a pass after the texture gets rendered. instead would it be possible to multiply the pixels in the texture map with the greyscale glowmap, then render the resulting pixels as fullbright. this sound simple but it might be too much overhead when it comes to rendering effiecency.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 03:07:13 am by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN