Author Topic: another find the feature  (Read 18438 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Thats exactly what I have been saying.
For example, when you look at the SS anis for the Herc and Herc II they have reflection but no specularity, the bright spot you do see and might call specularity is merely a reflection of a light.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
That's exactly the reasoning behind bob's and my idea.

Using the spec map as an env map works in a lot of cases. If you have it use the alpha channel if present, you will only have to update a few textures (for example the cockpits) - You won't lose much performance, and you will be able to have seperate shine & env intensity while not losing any possibilities you have right now.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Bob, are you going to make it so that ships will also reflect?
Cause it's sort of wierd when only the background does :)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I think that's not possible that easily :p

it's possible, it'll just destroy the framerate.

from what i understand, at least.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
a) would be very tough to implement this into FS2

b) would kill every hardware there is available.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
even duke nukem had it:p (joking)
no, seriously, I really don't remember exactly but there were a reflective effect on some Tachyon surfaces, but I don't remember if it worked on ships and stuff too.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
there was no reflections in Tachyon.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I cant imagine it NOT destroying the framerate, due to the fact that when I use true reflection in Max, it takes a long time to prepare the reflection maps to render.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i get your point light/bob but i still dont like having to use an alpha channel. i really want to keep my effects maps down to 8 bit (grey or index). using an alpha channel forces us to use a 32 bit texture for effects. id much rather have -env and -shine in seprate 8-bit maps.

another incredibly complex and mind disrupting idea is to use a 24 bit effetts map and use only the first 6 bits te specify color data (64 shades of r, g, and, b), the remaining 2 bits specify what effects to use (up to 4 effects). that way you could apply effects on a pixel by pixel basis and possibly allow for a single pass rendition.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
why - when making it alpha-based is sooo easy? :rolleyes:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
alpha channels would be far difficult on modders who do not have acess to photoshop. i use photoshop for everything and for me, alpha channels are easy. but have you ever worked with alpha in paint shop pro or other non-adobe graphics programs.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by Lightspeed
there was no reflections in Tachyon.

yes there were
the cockpits during the tunnels, althought it could be just a fake reflection made with an animated map, and I seem to remember a surface on a station, but I could be wrong in this and I should check (but I'm not going to install the game only for this)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it was most definately fake, you never got the same effect in the actual game. it makes me wonder if those tunnels were pre-animated. i never liked tachy on the fringe, plotlines were silly at best and you could never free roam space like you could in privateer 2 and freelancer. i did like multiplayer though, basewars were awesome. it is said that tachyon has better physics, though you could get the same effect in fs2 by increasing damp factors.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by Nuke
it was most definately fake, you never got the same effect in the actual game. it makes me wonder if those tunnels were pre-animated.

you mean like a .avi cutscene? they should have looked better, then. more like the intro cutscene.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I use paint shop pro, and I sudgested alpha chanle, the thing is keeping it in one texture, if the shinemap contains an environment channle, then a slow slow slow texture change can be avoided.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Not only that, wouldn't changing the glowmaps to 8 bit mean that every single modder in the community would have to start batch converting their recently made glowmaps? That would NOT be very popular ;)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
btw anyone who makes glowmaps with more than 8 bit is a lame, and you don't need more than 256 colours for shinemaps too.

All the :v: textures are 256 colors, and the only situations where you really need more color depth are on nebulas, planets and stuff like this, with lots of colors and lots of graduation of colors. But even if it may be reasonable to go for 24bit textures, using more than 8 bits for glows and shinemaps is just a waste imo.
And this is my main concern of using alpha on shinemaps.

unless it is possible to have an alpha channel on a 16bit (8 for colors + 8 for alpha) image, which I don't know (and in this case I'll shut up and you really should go for this solution), you'll be forced to use 32bit (24 for colors and 8 for alpha) shinemaps, which sound to me like a waste.
I'd be curious to know, at this point, if adding a third 8bit image (8bit glowmap+8bit shinemap+8bit envmap) would be more performance hit than having only 2 images (8bit glowmap+ 32bit shinemap) but with one of them 32 bit (a total of 40 instead of 24 bits).
In other words, my question is if it is better to have each effect (glow, shine, env, and in future bumpmap) on an individual file with the lower number of bits possible, than having more effects on a single file with a number of bit higher that what it'd be needed.

Offline Sticks

It's better to have more effects in a single file. Texture changes are a slow process on modern video cards, and should be avoided.

Yes, there is an 8 bit alpha, 8 bit color texture format, A8R3G3B2. I would disagree, though, and say that the 256 color V textures just don't cut it any longer. User created models continue to get better, but textures need to move into current standards. Even the standard V models would look fairly decent with 1024x1024 textures on them.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think true reflectivity bsicallty requires ray tracing..... i.e. you need to calculate where every ray of light bounces of every surface before you can start to draw.