Author Topic: "Strafing" anti-fighter beams?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
"Strafing" anti-fighter beams?
Something I've been thinking about.

Would it be possible to modify anti-fighter beams so that they behave more like anti-capship beams--i.e., swinging and arcing as opposed to just "flickering" in and out when they try to follow a target?  A decent example takes place in the endgame cutscene, when a Deimos beam slowly cuts into the hull of a Moloch.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline diamondgeezer

You want a basic slash beam or a beam that actually tracks its target? The later might be tricksy as there's no existing code AFAIK

Offline Antares

A real-time tracking beam would be really cool (if infeasible), but a slash beam would at the very least be more "realistic" than the current "beam on, beam off" way in which the beams work.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
errr, you know that only a few of the capship beams slash, right? most of them are beam on, beam off.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

I think it would be easier to have the beams as they are, because it IS more accurate to have a beam that pulses in and out, wasting less energy and attempting to whack it one to its target. That is why they have fAAA and hAAA, with each one being poorly accurate or highly accurate. If there was a beam swingin around , attempting to hit something, you just wasting an entire energy reserve attempting to hit a target once.

Offline Antares

Not quite.  Big beams remain constant, while small beams fire intermittently.  That's what I mean by beam on, beam off.

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
then it would loose its rapid-fire-fast-hit accuracy
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Thats basically what I said...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
So?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
What about modifying the slash beams so that the slash movement goes between the "on/off" locations of the AAA beams?

I do think it would be impressive for mods such as the Trek mods where the beam weapons are sometimes tracking.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Originally posted by Knight Templar
So?

Which means its not necessary to reapeat it again. That's all I am saying...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
But it would be super l33t, so no-one cares. And if you really were going to loose sleep over it, you could just play with the tables a bit to balance it out.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Slasher

This would be really useful for Shadow ships in the TBP MOD, if they ever get around to them.  In the show the beams would always slice up capital ships and vaporize fighters alike with a slashing motion.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That just gave me a thought.  If regular anti-cap beams are sustained bursts in one direction at a time, what would happen if you used the beam-fire sexp to order a slash weapon to target a specific ship subsystem?  Would it arc through its assigned target, or would it temporarily behave like a standard anti-cap beam and fire without altering its direction?

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it would quite literaly become a normal (type A) beam, there is a code section that basicly turns any beam that has a subsystem targeted into type a (this caused some problems for the new fighter beam code, this bug is still in the version posted in the other thread)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Would this still occur if the beam-fire sexp simply ordered the slasher to fire on a ship, without designating a subsystem?  Would the beam slash the target or would it default back to type-A in this scinario?

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
in that situation you arn't giveing it a subsystem and it would stay what ever it was, any time a beam is acting like it should (ie slashing or pulseing or what ever) it is not getting changed (there are actualy sevral places that a beam type gets changed)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together