Author Topic: Bringing an old frien back to standard  (Read 48743 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Bringing an old frien back to standard

another maping update.
SCREW CANON!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I think you MIGHT have gone a bit over the top witht he detail in the wing maps there, Venom. ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
:eek2:
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by mikhael
I think you MIGHT have gone a bit over the top witht he detail in the wing maps there, Venom. ;)

Nah, it's just right.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Nico
Started mapping the fighter version.

Also set up a designation system:
the very original version is the Ezechiel A ( demonstrator version, that's what it was in OTT actually, a ship performing test on real battleground, availabilibity was limited to one squadron in the whole campaign ).
The version above is the standard, series version, designated Ezechiel C
The biplace version is designated Ezechiel B.
Dunno, maybe I'll make more versions, why not.

Okay, NOW I like it again. If you release it, I might put out a slightly modified version with a pointed nose called the Ezechiel D, which would be an atmospheric variant. Then we'll all be happy.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

No.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nico

• Venom

Well, it does come from OTT, so that's fine :p
WW: well, good luck modifying it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 01:21:54 pm by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill

another maping update.

Ugh, not the wings. Please dont kill the wings. Have less stuff on the white wing sections and you will be good.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Woolie, as this isn't a model dump ship, it's usually protocol to consult the author before modifying the mesh.  Its something that modders can take offense to if you aren't careful.  Not that you have it yet, but don't you ever jeopardize a release by saying how you will modify it.

And wow.  Maybe a tad more contrast on the wing mapping (main color sections, not detail), but that's a relatively minor thing.  This one really needs a :jaw:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 01:32:21 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I figured out a way to code in outlines for cell shadeing effectively, don't worry :)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by StratComm
Maybe a tad more contrast on the wing mapping (main color sections, not detail)

It's the white decal that's eating the contrasts ( in fact, the ship is all grey, there's a decal layer in toshop.

Bob: cool, wanna see that :)
One more update:

I know the bottom needs more work, but that's all for today.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Venico, it looks nice, but it's entirely too light compared to the pretextured version.  I think it would look nice with portions of the texture darkened way down, not 0,0,0(RGB), but something like 75,75,75(RGB).
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Nico

• Venom
I know, tried already. See the fact that there's about no contrast on the white part? well, on the dark parts I tried, it did the exact opposite, and it looked vasudan :p
So for now, I'm keeping it like that, I'll worry about colour schemes later. But I do intend to have it about the same colour as it was in OTT.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
WW: well, good luck modifying it.

Heh, it probably won't be THAT hard, although from my experiences, your ships' mapping and textures have been quite tricky to do things with (as evident in my failed attempt to shinemap the Ezechiel), so it might actually be uite a challenge, I dunno.

--General Battuta

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Texture count / res?

Offline Nico

• Venom
one map for the cockpit/pilot, one map for the glass parts of the canopy ( transparency map, will save a giant useless alpha channel and a huge TGA file as well ) and one 2048*2048 map for the ship itself. Then a 256*256, 128*128 and 64*64 maps for the lods. I thought about using a custom map for the debris, but that would be pushing it.
The cockpit and glass maps would be reused for any ships using those parts, so that's one map that would be loaded for a lot of ships, don't think it's a memory waste that way.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Woolie Wool

Heh, it probably won't be THAT hard, although from my experiences, your ships' mapping and textures have been quite tricky to do things with (as evident in my failed attempt to shinemap the Ezechiel), so it might actually be uite a challenge, I dunno.

Don't bother planning it, you won't have my permission to modify the mesh anyway.
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
one map for the cockpit/pilot, one map for the glass parts of the canopy ( transparency map, will save a giant useless alpha channel and a huge TGA file as well ) and one 2048*2048 map for the ship itself. Then a 256*256, 128*128 and 64*64 maps for the lods. I thought about using a custom map for the debris, but that would be pushing it.
The cockpit and glass maps would be reused for any ships using those parts, so that's one map that would be loaded for a lot of ships, don't think it's a memory waste that way.

2048 * 2048?  Seems a bit...big.

IMo.

I've just started going back to 1024*1024 for fighters.... honestly don;t see how much difference a larger map would make, given the distance you tend to see the models at.  i'd have went for 512*512, but i'm using the base mesh for renders.

EDIT:  As an aside, I just found a really good way to do corroded / damaged textures (i.e. grain)... my new ******** engines look **** hot!  Yay!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 06:06:58 pm by 181 »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
:yes:  wow...this thing could become the new SCP flagship to show of the game to not-yet-believers....
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by aldo_14

2048 * 2048?  Seems a bit...big.

IMo.

I've just started going back to 1024*1024 for fighters.... honestly don;t see how much difference a larger map would make, given the distance you tend to see the models at.  i'd have went for 512*512, but i'm using the base mesh for renders.

Woomeister told me that one 2048*2048 map runs better than two or three smaller maps. Anyway, nothing prevents the map to be scaled down if there's a performance hit.
SCREW CANON!