Author Topic: How to build a guitar in many, many easy steps*  (Read 54080 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
How to build a guitar in many, many easy steps*
Wa-hey! Talk about it coming all together. Really love the mother-of-pearl dots too, the neck looks so much cooler with them. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
:cool: :yes: :yes:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
I started out the day with a light breakfast of orange juice and determination, by dinner time I was kicking ass and taking names...
What follows is my account of the zen art of fretting...
*sound of gong and man tieing headband*

The weapon of choice for cutting fret slots is a junior hacksaw, even though it's primarily designed for metal it cuts wood quite well and more importantly it has a cutting width pretty close to the width of the fret's tang:

Remember our nice flat fretboard from yesterday? Well I'm about to unflatten it, if you own a guitar you'll notice (with few exceptions) that the fretboard has a camber, this provides easier play and a more comfortable grip. You used to have to plane the fretboard to shape which is a bit tricky, then some smart boyo came along and created a sanding block with the correct radius for the fretboard. You can actually get a number of different radii, I chose a 12" radius block as it gives a fretboard that will allow string bending (flatter is better) and also has enough of a camber to allow comfortable playing (rounder is better for comfort). Here's the block itself:

After a lot of sanding *wheeze*:

Ahh the devastating convenience! (note the kitchen in the background, mum's being very patient with me ;) )

A bit more sanding with progressively finer grades of paper results in:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:46:35 pm by Martinus »

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
You like those dots Eddie, get a load of them now all shiney like:

Here's the piece de la re-chordance... er....

Basically, you cut it a little longer than the width of the fretboard and bend it a bit so that it's got a deeper arc than the top of the fretboard, then you put it in position:

Then I take out my ultimate weapon, this implement is called a deadblow hammer and I dub it "Thor's Hammer!" (yes, the exclamation mark is part of the name, ok)
It's got two faces, one's made of plastic and the other's made of rubber, the idea being that you don't dent the fretwire too much when hammering it into the fretboard. Did I mention it has a cool name?

You tap both ends of the fret in first and then gradually tap backwards and forwards across the board making sure neither end pops out:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:51:26 pm by Martinus »

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Many frets later and a bit of filing to remove the overhanging ends results in:

Now onto the back of the neck! Woohoo!
I rough shape both ends of the neck; the head and the heel neck profile is made with a file and some elbow grease:

Then I take a spokeshave and rough shape the back of the neck, I'll probably do the final shaping tomorrow but I must rest and regain my Chi for tomorrow I finish the neck and go to work on the body:

*exit gong... and fade...*
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:52:37 pm by Martinus »

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Pwnage

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
You ROCK Maeg! And soon literally too! :D
I have returned... Again...

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
DUDE! :eek2: The craftsmanship put into this fine piece is astonishing!

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Ok I decided to deviate from my plan to finish the neck and do some work on the body.

First I had to position the bridge and tail piece, to do this I must make a nut for the neck (note that at this point the neck is attached to the body). The nut is only cut for width and is far too high at the moment but that's what I want, anyhow, I mark out all the grooves on the top and cut the outside ones only.

The reason for this is that I can take a bunch of rubber bands and make a string of sorts, I make one for each side of the neck and run then through the two nut slots I just cut and down to the bridge/tailpiece. I can then use the bands as a guide to where the bridge should be along the neck's axis. You can see in the photo that I'm looking to make sure that each 'string' is the same distance from the side of the fretboard. Luckily the marks I made earlier were pretty much bang on the money, I just had to move the bridge a small distance. Tres clever eh?

I then mark out the holes for the tailpiece pins and drill them.

Same for the bridge:

And here they are test fitted. You'll notice that they're rather high at the mo. That's because the pins themselves are screwed into retainers which need to be tapped into those holes. If I were to fit them now before the body is sanded and sprayed etc. I'd never get them out.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:55:40 pm by Martinus »

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Gotta fit the pickups next so I take my template that I made earlier, double sided sticky tape it to the face of the guitar and get busy with the router... Some time later:

Since the screws on the pickups are of a greater depth than the pickup itself I need to route a small, deeper bit on each side of the pickup cavity, here's what it looks like all finished:

And with the pickups test fitted:

Finally here's a glory shot of everything up until now:

And with that I'm on the home stretch. :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:57:59 pm by Martinus »

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
Hoo-hoo, she's starting to look mighty fine now.... :eek::yes:

Ta for the linkage, btw - most helpful. :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
that thing is going to kick some serious ass when its done
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Ahh, no worries pyro and cheers Phreak. I probably won't get anything more done until monday.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:20:24 am by Maeglamor »

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Whoa, man... that gives new meaning to the word "fretting". :D

Love "Thor's Hammer!", too. :lol: Man, can't wait to see the finished product...

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Nothing quite like a little Asgard technology to make a mean guitar. ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 09:20:39 am by Maeglamor »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Wowsers, Maeg. You should make this into a permanent page somewhere so Google can index it. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Woo! I can see the finish line from here...

Ok last time you saw the neck it looked like this.

lots of spokeshaving, filing and sanding later results in:

It's a bit chunky at present but I want Sean to do a bit of work on it (It'll be marked on tuesday or wedensday and I recon it's good enough at present to get him what he needs.) We can recarve it thinner or whatever at a later date. Anyhow for the time being this is what we're working with:

And with that we now have a servicable neck, w00t!

Tomorrow I will put the thing together, do a bit of setting up to get it strung up and get it examination worthy. :nod:
I'm just a bit excited. :D

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:00:08 pm by Martinus »

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
:yes: :yes: :yes: Amazing work Maeg, I'm envious! ;)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
:eek2:

To see the process behind that neck, I now appreciate my own acoustic's workmanship so much more. That's awesome, dude. :)

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Ok the build is effectively finished, I gotta do all the fiddly things like electronics and fretdressing for the setup but that's another chapter. I've got two exams coming up so I'll just leave you with a few shots of what she looks like now. Not bad if I do say so myself. :)

Originally posted by Setekh
:eek2:

To see the process behind that neck, I now appreciate my own acoustic's workmanship so much more. That's awesome, dude. :)
Thanks a lot Eddie but an acoustic is far more challenging that an electric to build so multiply the effort I made by two. :)
Coincidently I wanted to remind myself of how far the neck had come so I got a photo of the neck blank before I did anything to it.

I got quite a lot done in a pretty short time. :nod:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:02:30 pm by Martinus »