Author Topic: LAN=broken, known issue?  (Read 5682 times)

LAN=broken, known issue?
ok, i got my dad to allow me to install FSO on is comp, so i took me FS dir, cleaned out the mess, ripped out the zpack mvp, put all the VP's in the main folder, but the weapons pack in the enhanced folder, ripped out all the old builds, made sure everything worked, wrecked the network for half an our transfering the gigabyte of data, ran the retail launcher, ran the FSO launcher, ran the game, played. Now, my little brother wants to get slaughtered over the LAN, so i set up my PC as a LAN host, using the EXACT SAME DATA as my dads PC.  

I go downstairs (dads PC), discover i am using a builld from a month ago, i switch to the right build, use the -mod param to get FSO to use the weapons pack as well, setup pilots and stuff.  Enter the IP from my own PC, make sure PXO is turned of, etc, etc. I try to join the game i'm hosting on my own PC, and i get a warning

"you are running an older version of FS then the host, click the update button in the launcher to get the most recent version".

now, i am running the exact same build as upstairs, but from a different path. so i try to move the stuff to the exact same path, and try it again, same error.

My dad's PC runs winME, i run win98SE, and we are connected through two hubs connected to eachother.

known issue? if not, i'll copy&paste to mantis.

oh yes, almost forgot, when i hit escape in the server list, i saw a flash of Kazan's rathaven chat thingy before the mainhall appeared.

EDIT:
This also happens with AND without using LS's new weapon effects.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 10:41:34 am by 936 »
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
LAN=broken, known issue?
that will be fixed.. lan should be working fine though... i often tested via lan
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 10:10:17 am by 30 »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

LAN=broken, known issue?
and?

can you fix it?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Inquisitor

LAN=broken, known issue?
last time that happened, we had made something too big, and it couldn't parse the data properly client to server, so it couldn't match stuff up and reported a "wrong version"

sounds like mantis to me :)
No signature.

LAN=broken, known issue?
could this be related to upping the neb tbl?

note, i am using taylors 040405 build.

and mantissing now

LAN=broken, known issue?
in the 4/05 build I can't even get multiplayer to work it crashes to desktop without any error message just trying to get to the multiplayer game menu

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
LAN=broken, known issue?
Originally posted by ShadowDrakken
in the 4/05 build I can't even get multiplayer to work it crashes to desktop without any error message just trying to get to the multiplayer game menu

then something is wrong with your computer idgit

Check your own system before you complain about errors that don't exist, they're really ****ing annoying especially when I'm already pissed off

LAN=broken, known issue?
Kazan, I'd like to start off by saying BULL****.  Sure it's simple to blame my computer, but that's just bull, because NO other game I have has this problem, and in fact, FS2 works just dandy multiplayer as well.  FSO has tons of bugs, and from what I've seen on this forum, people with AMD CPUs are hitting the worst of them.  So don't give me that crap just because you're braindead and would rather pawn off errors than to look into the why's of their happenings.

Edit: oh, as an aside here, the 4/23 build multiplayer works fine now... but oh, it MUST be my system that was messed up ONLY for the 4/05 build, it couldn't have been something else!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 08:06:49 pm by 1819 »

LAN=broken, known issue?
Kazan, he has a point.....

that said, SD, don't take it personally, Kazan is known to be, undiplomatic.

aside from shifting the blame like we missed Osama's latest idea, is this easily fixable?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
LAN=broken, known issue?
ShadowDrakken: it can still be something wrong with your computer, like you not following the directions and isntalling the CONFIG FILE FOR FS2 OPEN MULTIPLAYER - Or possibly you tried to connect WITHOUT A MASTERSERVER RUNNING

Don't ever tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I wrote that **** piece of code and if anyone knows what is going on with it's me.

I HAVE AN AMD CPU and I don't have any problems.  I had no problems with EITHER of those builds because my system is properly configured.  Don't talk out of your ass because your mouth knows better and don't EVER try to tell me you know more about a piece of code that I wrote

Kazan, if it was my config, then why did placing in a single EXE file of a newer build fix the problem with NO OTHER CHANGES? I don't use a master server, I use direct IP connections, but that's entirely moot for 2 reasons, first, I couldn't even get INTO the multiplayer screen, it was crashing trying to enter the screen in the first place.  And second, the 4/23 build fixed the problem anyway.  Yes I got hot, but it's because of the way YOU responded to me trying to get things fixed up.  If you thought it was a config file, you could have said so and pointed me in the right direction instead of chewing my head off.  Get over yourself, you're not all that

Also, what I mean about the AMD CPUs, is that if you read through the posts, people who are posting problems who are also including PC specs, are all posting AMD CPUs.  I can't find a single recent report that someone says they have an Intel

Edit: I stand corrected, thank you kasperl
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 10:29:15 am by 1819 »

*raises hand*

i am running a P3 800 and my dad's comp is running a P4 1,2. i didn't include specs because they seem irrelevant, i am not familiar with my dad's comp on some parts, and because my specs have been plastered all over the place often enough. If anyone would've asked, i would've posted.

aside from all that, perhaps it is a good idea to let the blaim rest and just try and get this to work.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
it was problem some transitory bug that is gone

i don't follow the grammar here, but i think you said it might be fixed. can you please give us a fresh compile? or do you have a nice list of intstructions for someone with MSVC 6, winCVS but no brain to compile the code?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
the code is in the CVS - so every newer build has the code

you just made the commit?

then could you tell me how to make a build? i would like to test this soon so we know if it is indeed fully fixed and the mantis entry can be closed.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
*slaps forehead* the multiplayer code has been in there ever since i commited shortly after starting the Multiplayer Test Victims thread

ok?

the build from taylor, AFTER, long after you started that thread as a bug. you say you commited the bugfix in a thread from long before the bug appeared.

dude, i want your time machine.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
no - he's *****ing about a bug that's been long since fixed if he's *****ing about a valid bug at all

Offline Inquisitor

please try not to kill each other :)
No signature.