Author Topic: Is the FPS limit removable?  (Read 9850 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Is the FPS limit removable?
If the thread title does not make it clear:
Can I remove the FPS limit so that I could get the FPS value my machine is actually able to produce? The FPS counter stops at 60 at me, but I am sure my machine is better than that.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Langy

That's almost definitely VSync. Turning it off can add visual artifacts and you won't notice any better framerate because your monitor can't refresh the screen fast enough.

I don't know if the SCP added VSync or not. It could have been in the original FS2, I don't know. Or, it could be something different from VSync, but I haven't a clue as to what.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I can reach a FPS value of 200 in Quake 3. And it definitely runs faster than it does at 60 FPS. I guess the same would be valid for FreeSpace.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

-d3d_no_vsync
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Does that completely remove the FPS limit?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
no it doesn't there is a 120.0FPS cap
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

well, depends on your system, off course.........

i just updated the wiki to include this command line...

-d3d_no_vsync      Disables Vsync; Vsync makes your graph card wait for your monitor to draw the current frame before providing the next. Disabling this will take a FPS "cap" off (when your FPS holds consistently at a certain number, like 60) but will cause "tearing".

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/Command-Line%20Quick%20Reference
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
there is a framerate cap of 120.0 FPS coded into the code.. i hit it all the time

Offline Langy

Unless I'm confusd about something, if your monitor can't refresh faster than sixty times per second (60 hertz), then it would be impossible for you to notice any difference at a higher FPS. Since VSync makes it so that the game only goes up to however fast your monitor can refresh, in this case 60 times per second, I can't see how disabling VSync would give any real performance boost.

But then, I don't know too much about how VSync works. It may give a very slight performance boost to have it off, even when you're monitor can't show anything more. But then again, disabling VSync can give you graphical glitches, so I tend not to do that.

oh, ok.....

you posted while i was typing, but anyway....

who has a monitor that goes behond 120Hz?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I DO - there is a cap of 120.0FPS CODED INTO THE GAME

hey, no need to yell, i asked if anyone had a monitor that can take those framerates, nothing to yell about.....

if it is coded, is it easy to just say "bump" like with all the other stuff?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
In theory, my monitor can refresh at the speed of 60 Hz. But how can that be that I can see difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS in Quake 3?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
TopAce: several ways, none of which i can pull to the top of my head right now

i just doubled the framerate cap.. and i hit it... let's see if i can remove it

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by kasperl
who has a monitor that goes behond 120Hz?

I do. I think it goes up to 180Hz, but I keep it locked at 85 most f the time.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
A monitor of that kind is certainly not cheap.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I just hit 358FPS in FS2 with the cap disabled :D

I'm going to make a command line param to remove the cap - hopefully when the effects get batched in HT&L i'll be able to do 180+ FPS with a dozen ships on my screen, i can do it with certain ships on my screen, but ones with fancier effects slow it down to average

Offline Langy

In theory, my monitor can refresh at the speed of 60 Hz. But how can that be that I can see difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS in Quake 3?

One way could be that the code showing the FPS in Quake3 is incorrect, or somehow innaccurate, or something like that. Always possible.

Another could be that you aren't actually seeing a difference, you only think you are. The ol' placebo effect.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Quake3 is always correct. Unfortunatly, I am now longer able to run Q3, so I couldn't test it.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
RT is working on that, there was a comand line added for it I think recently.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together