Author Topic: new decal features  (Read 13124 times)

Note: it was an odd guess, but i remember that d3dmipmapping creates a sort of LODding for texes. Since it creates the LODs itsself, it might have the maps scaled down when you are in the distance. Or it might have actually scaled the maps up :wtf: , when you close.

edit: spelling
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The wierd part is that the damaged part of the ship just has to be in the same hemisphere as your FOV to start slowing down the computer, before they even appear on screen :(

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
For now, I'd rather have vertex painting than decals, wouldn't need them to go, and wouldn't look too bad imho.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I used the ones that came with Bob's zip so there shouldnt be that huge kind of slowdown.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Why are the decal marks red? Ships don't bleed last time I checked :D:D

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
becase I made a four second glow map for them.

the slowdown I'm thinking is from the dynamic decals, I origonaly tryed makeing a seperate list for them, but that was buggy as hell so I just had it look through the whole list to find ones that were still smoldering, wich worked, but also means that if you have a ship with 200 decals on it it's looking at 200 decals on that ship every frame, and that's not good, so I'll see if I can get that seperate list working, that should be nice and fast.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I think a priority should be given to weapons with a hell of a punch - a Helios will leave quite a noticeable dent, while a Subach won't.

Maybe decal data should contain this priority too.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
each weapon is given a diferent decal texture, generaly I'd expect weapons of the same damage range to use the same decals (i.e., bombs would use a big scorched twisted metal texture, fighter weapons would use a small puny 'look ma' I nicked the paint' decal) so it sort of does this already.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, I know why it's so slow now, I such a freaking dunce, I commented out the thing to tell it not to rebuild the buffer every frame becase I wanted to look at it a few times, and I for got to turn it back on, so it was rebuilding the decal buffer every frame!

that said it was actualy going prety fast :D, I'll have another build up before the end of the night.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
w00t.  Now for the graffix peoples to fix the lame damage and we'll be set. :)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok, I bandaided over a small crash error in the decal recycleing code (and god damned I have had more problems with that one function :mad: ) it'll keep it playable, but it might cause decals to stop working and probly will cause a (small) memory leak, but I'll fix it later.

this zip has been updated, lower end cards may also see an improved performence, as that build uses index buffers for everything but the decals (and small scale effects). on the other hand you may see random crashes while doing nothng, if it seems too crashy I'll post a build with index buffers disabled.

oh, and I supose I should mention that index buffers impose a poly limit of 21,845 triangles, yes, I know, it's quite restrictive, but we'll just have to get used to it I guess :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 09:31:59 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
screenshots!
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
but the current art is mediocer at best, and the cooler effects are animated.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ehhh... fine :rolleyes:

look at the smoldering death all over that bomber. :)

you've all seen the Vanir before, I nearly missed one of the ships you havn't see, you can still see part of the engine section if you look closely. and if you look closely you can sort of see some of the improvements I've made to the Golgotha. and while you'r looking at her, note all the little glowing pot marks covering her surface, burn baby burn :D
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
:lol: @ the censoring. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Raptor

Looks like it's been infected by the Beast (from HW:Cataclysm)
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Using the new build, the odd slowdown's still there :doubt:

Also, I spotted two bugs:

1. Sometimes decals simply stop working (they appear for about 1/10 seconds, but seem to be facing me and are NOT aligned with the hull and then vanish) - Sometimes they get working again later or they wont work for the whole game

2. I got some decals 'floating above the hull' rendering in front of fire plumes and other stuff. They were in about 1 m height above the hull of the ship (but rendered correctly with their alpha). :wtf:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you are useing the build I linked to in my post not the one at the top of this thread right?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
yes.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok lets try this build, I think I've fixed the junk polys that would show up from time to time (every decal was given 1 too many polys becase one was always needed to work with, and I never got rid of it)

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_5-25-04.zip
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3