Author Topic: new decal features  (Read 13117 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think if it's running out of memory it starts swapping stuff back and fourth from system memory.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Yeah, and it then would whiten out the textures, not making them 'invisible'.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it might be an over write thing, god I hope not
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline terren

I had the same bug as lightspeed using the 'fs2_openT-20040405'
build,  in the second mission of the main campain. all the shiven ships textures went away, no shines no glows nothing but shield mesh, and engine glows,  I still tryed to play the mission out, but descovered that I could fly right through the capship (cant remember the name) and my weapons had no effect on it, realy odd bug.  have not tryed with any of the newer versions, but I've DLed the decal build and I'm trying to duplacate it now.

If I duplacate it, I'll post my system specs and shuch.
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I'v spent much of the day trying to get this to happen in a debug build, why do these sorts of things never happen in the debug builds?

I'm thinking maybe a ship is getting it's textures freed when it shouldn't, and seeing as this isn't native to my code path, someone try to track down the earliest build were this does show up.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Originally posted by terren
I had the same bug as lightspeed using the 'fs2_openT-20040405'
build,  in the second mission of the main campain. all the shiven ships textures went away, no shines no glows nothing but shield mesh, and engine glows,  I still tryed to play the mission out, but descovered that I could fly right through the capship (cant remember the name) and my weapons had no effect on it, realy odd bug.  have not tryed with any of the newer versions, but I've DLed the decal build and I'm trying to duplacate it now.

If I duplacate it, I'll post my system specs and shuch.

Post the specs anyway, please....

I've had this happen on 2 occasions:
1) When FS2 (retail, HOTU like) gave me an error about not finding a certain texture, that was just in the maps dir. Nothing unexpected
2) Sometimes a ship just ain't there, and only secondary (lock on!) weapons could harm it. Sometimes collision detections was forked as well, sometimes not. Engine glows would be there, I can't remember for shields.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline terren

yeah, I got #2, still no luck with reproducing it though.  I'm hoping it was a one time thing.

specs
P4 3Ghz
1 Gig of ram
GeForce FX 5700 128Megs ram
640*480*32 res

using
-spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -fps
lightspeeds weapon pack w/o decals

am I missing anything?
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
No, no, this is the bug Bob and I were talking about earlier.

Bumping from some posts back to Bob's attention:

Wouldn't it be perfect then, to check if the mission is or isnt in subspace and THEN deciding which method to use for the env mapping?

That would speed up things and look exactly the same (as the subspace env is still animated). I think this would be the ideal setting for most people.

So... is this possible? I think that's what would comfort most people.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah I guess I could do that, I don't think people would see that big of a diference even once animated backgrounds start getting used, though you'r still going to have slow downs in subspace missions.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Originally posted by terren
yeah, I got #2, still no luck with reproducing it though.  I'm hoping it was a one time thing.

specs
P4 3Ghz
1 Gig of ram
GeForce FX 5700 128Megs ram
640*480*32 res

using
-spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -fps
lightspeeds weapon pack w/o decals

am I missing anything?

Why are you running that monster of a machine on 640*480?

Are you using the media VP or any other high-res art?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Bobboau
yeah I guess I could do that, I don't think people would see that big of a diference even once animated backgrounds start getting used, though you'r still going to have slow downs in subspace missions.

Well, if it can't be helped :p

See, the slow-down is not mortal or anything, it's just annoying. And if it looks the same and runs faster that sounds like a very very good thing to do.

Offline terren

I happen to like 640*480  now if the text size scaled up along with everything else I'd push the envlope a bit, but as it is I get headaches from reading the text.
I'm using the new drive flares and weapon effects, also shine and glow maps.  Forgot about those sorry.
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I guess I have diagnosed the true reason: small monitor.

Hard to fix, though not vital for a gamer.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan