Author Topic: Nostolgic DOS X-wing and Tie Fighter  (Read 5783 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Nostolgic DOS X-wing and Tie Fighter
OK, let's see them whatever happens to the so-called copyright!
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
Hey, just a side note. Here are quite a few of the LucasArts game scores. TIE Fighter ain't there, cause it had a freaking weird midi format, but the complete Dark Forces 1 score.
It is not perfectly recorded, but at least they digital samples were used, so it is far better than midi-only :)

Anyway...check here...

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com
http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/df.htm
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 11:34:39 am by 32 »
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"
-Hamlet rulez

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I am checking that website now ....

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Cyker

WOO!! I loved these games :D

The flight controls were amazingly responsive and the battles felt so huge!

X-Wing got me started, but I soon goot TIE Fighter, which for me is still one of the best space combat sims EVER MADE!

It's got it all - The graphics (were) great at the time, the controls were pretty much perfect (Responsive, accurate), but the clinchers were the Story and the Sound!!

The Story was classic - You start off as some nobody guarding a backwater space-station in a friggin TIE Fighter (2-hit kill!), but eventually rise up through the ranks, helping the empire against it's enemies and surviving a deadly conspiracy (I REALLY hated that Harkov guy after he stuck me in a bloody unshielded T|I then told me to clear a MINEFIELD!!!!), until you are kicking ass in a TIE Defender, and then a Missile Boat  (The two most sweetly over-powered craft ever made :D SLAM!)

The sound is the final thing that made those games better than anything else out there. The almost authentic lasers and R2-beeps being flung every which way were damned good, but the MUSIC!!

Unlike the tired recycled crap out these days, the TIE Fighter MIDI music was actually CUSTOM WRITTEN by Clint Bajakian, and he did a great job - it actually SOUNDED like John Williams himself had written it - the scores ranged right the way from calm and peaceful to the full oh-****-we're-gonna-die atmosphere, and all with a very Imperial flavour to it.

And on top of that, Clint's masterwork was melded with LEC's awesome iMUSE tech - At the time this was the ONLY dynamic music system, and it rocked!

Calm peaceful music while on patrol, then a rebel cruiser jumps in far away and the music picks up a bit, then it does a mini-jump and appears right next to you, and the music segues seamlessly into the adrenaline pumping oh-****-we're-gonna-die mode :D

More games need iMUSE. FS2 had a semi-kind of iMUSE but it wasn't as good as TIE Fighter's because it reacted far too slowly and as nowhere near as seamless. Well, to be fair, it'd be VERY hard to make music as seamless using WAV audio.

I've got the original X-Wing, the original TIE Fighter, and also the original X-Wing Enhanced Collector's CD (Includes B-Wing and Imperial Pursuit), and the original TIE Fighter Collector's CD (TIE Fighter & Defender of the Empire)

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter was pretty rocking as a multiplayer game, and the mission editor that this Australian guy called Troy made called XvTEd was ****ing awesome (It was, and still is WAAAY easier (and better) to use than FRED. The Event driven systems are a lot more reliable and easier to use than FS2's sexp's, but it's not as flexible. I managed to make some great missions in it 'tho that I gave up trying to re-create in FS2.)

The X-Wing/TIE Fighter collectors CD that used the XvT engine was a bloody travesty - It was one of the most blatant money-grubbing hack-jobs I'd ever seen!
It felt like the missions were run through a (buggy) convertor, without any thought for game balance. In XvT, acceleration and laser travelling speed were a MUCH faster than in the originals but they were not altered in this hack-job, and the careful game balance in the originals went right out of the window.
And to top it off, they dumped the iMUSE for a ****ty repetitive CD Audio track!!!

Luckily, they kinda redeemed themselves with X-Wing Alliance, but it was too-little too-late. Top-notch story, and the iMUSE was put back, but the 3D cockpit was a pain in the arse and the control system was totally screwed over.

I still bought it, but FreeSpace 1 had come out earlier and blew XWA out of the proverbial water. FreeSpace 2 just finished it off with a few BFGreens ;)

And that is basically my space combat sim history :)

My main regret is I've never played all the way through any of the Wing Commander series. I can't help thinking I missed some great stuff...

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
Now that's really ...wow...

...in fact, everybody who played the 3,5" TIE Fighter loved the music...I wonder, why Lucas Arts never released that score on a CD...it surely would find its owners...
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"
-Hamlet rulez

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Oh yea...good times, good times...

Gotta love that music...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Yeah, all these musics are good. But the Arc Hammer music still owns all. I took a look at some of the Rogue Leader tracks, I think they suck. They are between :ick: and :shaking:

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
I played TIE Fighter a long time ago......had so much fun with it, miss it now :(

When you guys gonna release stuff? how bout giving us a few things to 'play' around with, maybe generate more interest in this mod? ;7
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Slasher

Originally posted by TopAce
Yeah, all these musics are good. But the Arc Hammer music still owns all. I took a look at some of the Rogue Leader tracks, I think they suck. They are between :ick: and :shaking:

Ah yes, the good ol' Dark Forces midi tracks.  :nod:  They're very nice as well, though that makes sense because Clint B. did the score for DF too.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Memories... Tie fighters music was sweet
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Cyker

Agreed on the Dark Forces music :D

Now THERE was another ground breaking game - First decent IR goggles, first game where you could hide in the dark (Years ahead of Thief ;)), actually HAD a decent plot and had puzzles more complex than Find Key :p

*sniff* oh LEC, how far you have fallen...

...erm, back on topic... uh... so how many of you completed  the Korolev mission in the original X-Wing...? :D