Author Topic: Current 3.6 Problems  (Read 2671 times)

Current 3.6 Problems
For some reason, when I start this topic, I keep thinking I'm going to be flamed horrilbly...

Anyway, on to problems I've been experiencing in Media Vp 3.6:

1) Text has some underlines under it at times. I dont get it, but its like having underslashes placed randomly amongst the text.

2) The sound! Whenever a person is supposed to speak, it sends out like, .5 seconds of his voice and then just cuts off. So, when playing a mission, you hear about .5 of the persons voice and just wait for the text to finish loading. Is this supposed to happen or what? This is only in-game that the sound cuts off.

3) The load times are just ATTROCIOUS. I have a pretty high-end machine that even runs FarCry pretty well, but all these updates cant bash the loadtimes THAT bad can they? I timed it taking a full two minutes to shut itself off when it previously only took about 8 seconds. What is going on here? Did they mess with something that causes Freespace 2 to just drastically slow itself down?

the first one.  use the font fix in the launcher.  the third one i load in like 5 seconds with all the features on... strange.

And the second one?

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I dont have any of these problems. For me 3.6 is the most bug-free build I have ever tried (and smooth, and fast).

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
3.6 is hardly fast for me and a bunch of other people because of a serious memory usage problem. It is very hard to play for us.

I also noticed that it took a while to load a lot of times, but no more than 30 seconds (which is a lot longer than it used to be).
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Can we please go over the sound issue... :(

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
3.6 and the builds after have been moving faster for me, but not noticably so. I keep getting a CTD whenever FS2 tries to display a decal, so thats out for me.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
RE the sound problem, what build are you using? If it's the FRED 'n FS build, try switching back to 3.6.
-C

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It may sound surprising, but I have not had any problems with 3.6 yet. :)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Yeah, I was using the CVS FRED n FS2 build. I'll switch back.

EDIT: It works now, the audio I mean. But I cant find out how to fix that damned text! There is no "font fixer" in the Launcher, I checked all of them. Also, for some reason, my radar doesnt show any hostiles. It doesnt show anything in fact. There is nothing on my radar... :(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 11:17:56 am by 1718 »

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Well what's your graphics card?

Radeon 9600 XT

Offline Mant

My beef with 3.6 is it seems to crash whenever a model with duplicate texture replacement shows up, and normal texture replacement doesn't seem to work at all. Anyone got either to work with 3.6 or any later build?

I was waiting for a stable 3.6 before releasing my campaign, since it uses SCP stuff. Unfortunately one of the things it uses is texture replacement.

Tin Can, look under Video on the 5.0 launcher an you should see a tick box "fix font distortion problems".

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
heh, you think these crashes are fun, try running any SCP build on a Voodoo 3.
"Why does it want me to say my name?"