Author Topic: Some old FS:FPS stuff  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Plasma

Originally posted by Hollewanderer

You could do some Shivan encounters without cheapening them, it would just require proper balancing of the player's arsenal and some good mapping. [forcing player to use his brain to get away from one, and not giving him the weapons to kill it] But yes, now when I think about it, Taranis capture may not be the best level idea.

The main problem with a Taranis capture recreation is how to deal with the zero gravity in a way that still makes the mission playable and without horrifically frustrating the player. One idea that was kicked around in later mission outlines was using a Terran or Vasudan vessel belonging to either GTI or the CheOps (Zug intel agency?) which happened to be transporting a live Shivan specimen so we could recreate a Taranis-like mission with gravity.

Other things I vaguely remember:

I think in some of the later dialogue sequences we cooked up we made a few references to a major insurrection in Antares that had occured either right before or during the opening years of the TV War. A theme that was wide spread throughout FS:FPS was the social division between outer colonies and the big three due to economy: Sol, Delta Serpentis, and Beta Aquilae. Mostly this was manifested in growing anti-federalism which got a massive boost following a minor civil war in Antares. Dissidents in Beta Cygni and Ribos both use Antares as a rallying call against the GTA throughout the early parts of the FS:FPS campaign. But the details were never really fleshed out regarding what happened in Antares and I doubt they'd fit in with established FS history at the moment.

We had a reoccuring janitor NPC. I will neither confirm nor deny if he was based off of real life figures.

An incomplete memo from a field SOC officer and Admiral Grier (That the player could discover if they dug around enough):

TO: V. Adm. Grier

We've just successfully transfered weapons and medical supplies to the Vasudan dissidents, who now want to be referred to as "Hammer of Light", on Vasuda Prime and Altair. Of course they would like more than what was allocated, but with their attitudes getting even more fanatical we're all beginning to wonder if it's such a good idea to give them better odds against the standing Vasudan government. On the off chance that these folks rise to power, the war will only be paused for a decade or two while they consolidate their grip on things. They're all smiling and acting nice just because we have things they need, don't mistake their actions for genuine loyalty to the GTA. As soon as the war is over I think it would be in the bests interests of the galaxy reevaluate our standing towards the Hammer of Light.
   We'll be returning to Vega shortly.

Easter egg news article:

ORDINANCE MISDROP KILLS 17

BETA AQUILEA - Early Tuesday at 0908 the commercial districts of Telsaer (Capital of BA3) were rocked by a tremendous explosion. Once the dust settled the entire 7800 block of Lamphrey Avenue was reduced to a deep crater. Originally a terrorist act was suspected, however in a press conference the following day the GTA announced the explosion was a result of a malfunctioning Orbit-to-Ground strike missile. One of the uninhabited Southern continents on Beta Aquilea 3 is used for limited weapon testing, and the modified GTOGM-255 Super Falcon missile was intended to strike that region. How the weapon malfunctioned was not specified, but it was revealed that the missile came from the GTD Eisenhower of the 4th fleet.

Among the damage was the offices of GAIN Software which specialize in automated software packages designed to gather marketing data on modern day personal computers for use by corporations without the users' knowledge. It was also the GAIN offices that became the tomb for seventeen of its own employees. Two adjacent buildings that were scheduled for demolition were consequently abandoned and were also destroyed in the blast.

Family members of those slain demanded an apology and compensation from the GTA. They will receive neither. "What happened was most unfortunate. Our technicians are currently searching for the cause of the fault." was the complete extent of the GTA's opinion on the matter as spoken by 4th fleet Admiral Vespa.

In related news, the SaveNow company, also situated on Beta Aquilea 3, has announced that it will move its main offices to Delta Serpentis. SaveNow cited the GAIN incident as the primary motivation for the change.

Can't find anything else other than that except for some incomplete dialogues that suck.
"One day I turned over against the other chappies in gestapo and said itself, "BY JOE! IT IS A ROCKETMELLON!" and everyone emphasized that they knew someone as that. This is this man." - A biography from some random clan webpage.

Member of the ZylonBane Fan Club! Join Today!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey, what was the ftp password for the fsfps ftp, there was a lot of crap that I had uploaded there that I think people would be interested in, assumeing they can get it before VW colapses into a pilar of firey destruction.

here's the link to the internal forum, it's still there http://www.volitionwatch.com/vwbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=30
though only a few of us will have access to it, perhaps it can be made public

interesting thing of note 4-11-02 is the day that work inexplicably just stoped, for no realy good reason

eh, looks like the ftp was killed and all the files in it are gone, but I still have everything I made, I just have no idea where I put it
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 10:23:44 pm by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Damn, the old timers are all coming back, it seems. Now we just need to find what hole Dark plunged into, and we're set. Some great work was done for FS:FPS, and I believe it can still go somewhere.

By the way, this seems like a good thread to post this (notice the Corsair landing gear :D):
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
:lol: :lol:

Midway well never be the same.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
ROFLMAO!!!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
:lol: ah that was secret weapon in WW II
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by aldo_14

How well can the Doom3 engine actually handle large outdoor environments & vehicles, though?

it can't support outdoor enviroments without a signifigant performance hit, it seems.. hence why the game has its claustraphobic feel to it..

go with source, i'd say.. it's more flexible, and supports vehicles

and styxx, to quote will smith..
"I've GOT to get me onna these!"
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Styxx
Damn, the old timers are all coming back, it seems. Now we just need to find what hole Dark plunged into, and we're set. Some great work was done for FS:FPS, and I believe it can still go somewhere.

By the way, this seems like a good thread to post this (notice the Corsair landing gear :D):

:eek2: Dude, that owns!
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

:lol: Is that BF1942? Bravo!
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Yep, and it flies too! I just didn't post any screenshots of that because the prop on the front and the floating ailerons on the sides made it look somewhat goofy.

:D
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Freespace mod for BF42 that would be neat.
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Plasma
The main problem with a Taranis capture recreation is how to deal with the zero gravity in a way that still makes the mission playable and without horrifically frustrating the player.

A while back I wanted to start a FS FPS MOD for Serious Sam, for a number of reasons.

One main reason was the multiple gravity fields you could designate; basically, coat everything inside the Taranis with a knee-high gravity field pulling in the direction of the surface, and you have a perfectly working simulation of zero gravity combined with magnetic boots.

Another reason was the character animation capabilities SS offered - Shivans would not have been a problem.

A third reason was the absolutely seamless indoor-outdoor "transition", with ginormous outdoor areas supported right alongside moody indoors. Flickering and colored lights, fog, haze, true mirrored surfaces, and textures that wouldn't get blurry from close up - all were big selling points years ago.

And now, with the Serious Engine 2 under development, I'm getting really excited again. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill