Author Topic: "Battlefield Freespace" anyone?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
"Battlefield Freespace" anyone?
Exactly my thoughts really...
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by Sandwich
Can I just say that considering BF1942 as a base for an FS MOD or TC isn't as good an idea as it may seem. You can't really tell a story in BF1942, an element which is not only central, but crucial, to the FS universe. Without that, it's just icing on poop.

BF + Freespace=Lots Multi player fun.
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Cool! I'd like to test that out :nod:
Habeeb it...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Holy Imperial Gloriano

BF + Freespace=Lots Multi player fun.

You think so? How exactly? Hallfight aside (which doesn't really show anything special anyway), we know absolutely nothing about FS soldier-level equipment, tech, etc. So you'd have a bunch of guys running around in uniforms, carying big guns that (apparently) shoot bullets, fighting on generic alien planets and inside our very slightly informed idea of GTA/GTVA/Vasudan/Shivan vessels - with no story worth speaking of.

Pardon my attitude, but whoop-dee-doo.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
You think so? How exactly?

It just sounds good, but you are right:)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Solatar

Sounds like fun, especially if people are like "wow, this is awesome, where can I get the game this was based off of??"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I never could handle a fighter in BattleField. Is it as fast as it is supposed to be?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

If that is true, make some like a vtol and code it to have helicopter charateristics... (cheating I know but whatever makes it useable)...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Sandwich

You think so? How exactly? Hallfight aside (which doesn't really show anything special anyway), we know absolutely nothing about FS soldier-level equipment, tech, etc. So you'd have a bunch of guys running around in uniforms, carying big guns that (apparently) shoot bullets, fighting on generic alien planets and inside our very slightly informed idea of GTA/GTVA/Vasudan/Shivan vessels - with no story worth speaking of.

Pardon my attitude, but whoop-dee-doo.

But they'd be shooting those big guns and apparent bullets at Vasudans. :D Besides, we let these guys do all the hard work (Making models etc. then we "convert" them for "the good of the community". :devil:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Sandwich - I think the novelty of it being FreeSpace in an FPS engine plays a big part (certainly in my excitment... and I already love BF1942). Granted It'd be odd to be flying Terran/Vasudan/Shivan craft around a WW2 earth setting.. but it'd still be a laugh if it was easy to do.

At a push, I reckon we could use the standard Desert Combat plane physics and simply replace the model/weapon stuff... handling should be fine.

But hey, I'm biased ;)

The main idea to me is to draw players. Any egine would be good, really.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Once I get a PC that can play BF1942, I'll join you lot. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

So, Im guessing this stuff wont exactly work with BF Vietnam, will it?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
So I know why the Americans won the war: They had the PERSEUS!

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The only problem with this is - who gets to be alpha 1?

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Battlefield probably has some hangers on the airfields you know, hehehehe. Too bad i don't have the game..
Got Ether?

Too bad I can't run BF1942.
Anyway, the Perseus is the best fighter in BF1942!..... Ah, no... :p

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Is it on the Allied side?

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by TopAce
Is it on the Allied side?

Yes.