Author Topic: Xfire as a possible FS2 open lobby?  (Read 1338 times)

Xfire as a possible FS2 open lobby?
I don't post here that often but the other day someone told me of this neat tool called Xfire. It is an IM that does not make you alt tab or make you lag during a game.

However the main aspect of Xfire is that you can see what game your friends are playing and what server they are playing on. Some of the games supported by Xfire also have an instant join feature. How would you see people's game without them being on your buddy list? Xfire also allows you to see the friends of your friends. When I started Xfire, I was given a 'test friend' that would allow me to meet a few people.

A central 'test friend' of sorts could be put up that would allow a player to see everyone. FS2 nor SCP are currently supported but would it be possible to use Xfire for a lobby?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i am implementing a IRC client for hte lobby.. it's just tedious and boring and takes a lot of time
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Well thats good to hear. You'll proly get it done faster than trying to use Xfire anyway. It took a very long time to make it work with Freelancer.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
What about some sort of buddies support?

If the chat box is standardized (applied with the same function(s) everywhere) maybe you could have it tab b/t game chat and buddy chat.
-C

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and there's a bit of a problem at the moment, with a alt-tab crash that showed up just before 3.6, and I don't think it ever got resolved (was a low priority at the time)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Inquisitor

IRC.

That way we get alot of the things automatically that we would otherwise need to write from scratch, and, I have a production IRC network used for other game lobbies I am already managing, so, the servers are already there.

Just waiting on the skillz of da kazman :)
No signature.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
my mad skills just whipped up Account Banning, Global IP Banning, Global System Messages, i'm about to whip up the server maintaining s2c ping times for both servers and clients

with that s2c ping time i'm going to add it to the server display, and i'm going to write a "who's online"
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Inquisitor

If you do an IRC implementation, you can just use the IRC commands to do all that, Kaz ;)
No signature.