Author Topic: Buying the Freespace License  (Read 11623 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Buying the Freespace License
Originally posted by JarC
then indicate that with at least a smiley, in a court, out of context, it does not look like a joke, in fact, even if intended as such, courts don't take litely to such kind of jokes...

We can't tell emotion or a hint of joking in your voice, so please use the smilies :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Inquisitor

How many of htese threads are there?
No signature.

Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
If we dont aquire the license, we can always use the money we raised to assasinate Derek Smart so it never happens.

I'll do it for free.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 01:05:53 pm by 1539 »

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by Inquisitor
How many of htese threads are there?

Too many....

Kidding guys.  

but we are talking about Derek Smart  here
maybe he don't understant that joke
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Sooo...any progres on this?

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Not really, no. I think Steak's going to be handling de monies, which does complicate the return issue a lot, and Lonestar's offered to handle basically everything else if we get a hold of Interplay, which we need to do anyway... but nobody's done it. It's tough, 'cos nobody really knows where they're based anymore.

Well, just to clear things up, I seriously give you guys more credit than to think I was really implying we should hire a hitman to take him out. Cmon. Common sense. Ding ding! :rolleyes:

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Lol. We're talking about Derek Smart here, his ego would tell him we'd actually waste the money on killing him :D

Anyway, Stryke, we need a list of the people who donated, and how much they donated, so if we need to, we can do money returns.

Didnt they mention we needed something to donate TO? Something to fork our funds over to? God knows I dont want it going somewhere insecure.

I can pay up to 100$ CDN to help the FS community for a major upgrade of the game (could become FS3!).

I don't have any problems giving my money to you guys. YOu already did great jobs on campaigns and SCP. I'm pretty sure you could make FS3 on a new engine.

;)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
First: We're not making a fan-made FS3.

Second: Make it a paypal account.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
UT: The plan is, yes, Paypal account and a database of donators and how much they gave. Among other things. There's a thread about it at Hard Light.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Awesome. Mebbe the admins should merge these two threads :)

Hot damn I sure hope you guys aquire the license... I just got 100 bucks after 5 hours of manual labor outside... friggin Texas heat... :sigh:

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
There's a lot more to this than I think many of you are thinking.  This isn't a matter of everyone pitching in the cash and then running to the store.  This is a very, very serious legal matter.  For example:  IF we manage to win the bid, who actually owns it?  A single person?  A group of people?  Everyone who pitched in?  I've seen enough drama online over little **** like icons and avatars, imagine the fight over the license itself!  Would the person or group lord it over the rest of us?  If everyone who dontates owns it, how do they make decisions on what to do with it?  Can any of them make such decisions in the first place?  What if we fail?  What happens to the cash then?

There are so many legal issues here, we'd drown quickly if we don't get these kinds of things answered as soon as possible.  Drown in lawsuits.  No one deserves that fate (not even Derek Smart).

I purpose that we establish a group of people (small, no more than 10) that will represent all those who donate to the board.  These people then need to be legally bound to rules of conduct reguarding a)  The use of the license if accquired  b)  Negotiating limits  c)  What do do with the cash if the attempt fails.

From there, the group will attempt to negotiate with Interplay to obtain the license.  There are going to be lawyers involved, so we'll need at least one, possibly more.  Lawyers trained for this kind of **** would be prefered.  They will write the contract that binds the group to the rules (which we have to decide on well in advance) and create the agreement anyone who donates must agree to before sending the cash.

From there, we can go after the the license.  Our biggest problems right now are time and money.  We don't know how much of either we have or need.  We certainly need to move fast, but we must move carefully.  Cash wise, we need to make sure that we know how we're collecting them and what the rules are for when (if) the cash starts to roll in.

Beyond that, we need to do serious, powerful adverstising.  Asking for people to donate to this kind of thing is going to be the worst part, as people rarely want to give up cash, even to a cause that is just.  I'm sure, unfortuantly, we can't claim this is all to crush Derek Smart.  First because it's legally wrong I'm sure, and secondly because it wouldn't be why we're doing it.  If those who donate justify it thusly, that's their own decision, but we likely cannot encourage this thinking.

There's a lot to do, so if we're going to try for this, let's get to it already.

Oh, and Tin Can, I knew it was a joke, but Derek Smart is such an ass he'd threaten to sue you for such a remark.  I doubt he would follow through, but he could.  Edit it out while you still can.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
We could just say the HLP admins get it, but make them sign a document saying they had to allow free reign to use it to those who donated (this is for everyone else's sake, I'm sure the HLP admins wouldn't make a big fuss).

Offline WildWolf

• Todd M.
I was going to avoid participating in this conversation, but I just changed my mind.

You guys will never buy the FS license. You cannot possibly raise enough money amongst yourselves to buy it. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Sure, Interplay is in the crapshoot, maybe they'll be looking to liquidate assets at a cheaper price, but I wouldn't count on it being cheap enough. Even if it's in the tens of thousands, it's a dream. Forget about all the other issues - you cannot pay for it so those issues are irrelevant.

I don't mean to be an a-hole, but the fact is this is a pipe dream, and quite frankly spending your time pursuing it is a waste.

I mean, has anyone even contact Interplay yet to see if they're even selling? Or what price they're looking to sell at?

Offline heretic

• http://www.warpstorm.com
Originally posted by WildWolf
I was going to avoid participating in this conversation, but I just changed my mind.

You guys will never buy the FS license. You cannot possibly raise enough money amongst yourselves to buy it. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. Sure, Interplay is in the crapshoot, maybe they'll be looking to liquidate assets at a cheaper price, but I wouldn't count on it being cheap enough. Even if it's in the tens of thousands, it's a dream. Forget about all the other issues - you cannot pay for it so those issues are irrelevant.

I don't mean to be an a-hole, but the fact is this is a pipe dream, and quite frankly spending your time pursuing it is a waste.

I mean, has anyone even contact Interplay yet to see if they're even selling? Or what price they're looking to sell at?

careful, that's a bunch of reality to cram into one post.
VBB survivor: June 1999 until the end. Only banned 2 or 3 times (I think)

WildWolf: Sure, the chances are pretty much non-existant, but as Stryke pointed out, there are a lot of people willing to pitch in. And if it doesn't work, we'll all be down a few bucks, and some will be down a mighty amount of hours. On the other hand, if the administration is solid, there isn't much to loose.

Really, what do we have to loose?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
So were we are getting about 300.000$? :p
sorry but that is not going happen just reality check
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 01:43:16 pm by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi