Author Topic: Taylor and I fixed FRED2  (Read 9659 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
*kills Starman01*

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Goober5000
*kills Starman01*

*voice from beyond the grave*

It was only a matter of time this was going to happen !:)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Starman01

*voice from beyond the grave*

It was only a matter of time this was going to happen !:)

Remember, Starman, I will be with you... always :thepimp:
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well isn't that a great friendship. :D

Can anyone point me to stable and working fred2_open build which supports large number of entries in stars.tbl while we wait for better and newer build from taylor and Kazan?

It was a kickback when we noticed that missions modified with taylor's and Kazan's build weren't  no longer compatible with fred2_open 3.5.5 which has proven to be very well working fred2_open build.

Offline Zarax

CTD on start...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
fred2_open_c04282004.exe works "okay" for me.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Can anyone point me to stable and working fred2_open build which supports large number of entries in stars.tbl while we wait for better and newer build from taylor and Kazan?
Probably not.  Be patient.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Sorry to bug you, but it seems our mission designers are getting impatient about backgrounds, briefing icons, waypoints, etc not showing in fred2_open.

It would probably cool them down a bit if they at least know there's been some progress in fixing those bugs.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 09:11:44 am by 173 »

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I'm with Mr. Fury here, we are waiting patiently too, but any update
about the progress made would be great. Thanks.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Not a ton of progress.  I have never really used FRED nor have I ever had an interest in designing a mission so I've got to learn how all of it works as I go.  That makes for slow going.

I'm still tracking down small problems.  A lot of graphics stuff gets freaky when it's dropping in and out of FRED code and is giving me a headache.  The new way that lines are drawn doesn't fix every problem so I'm trying to find the cause of the rest, also it messes up the hud targetbox in the main game for some reason.  I've noticed at least one real drawing problem that may be causing some of the alignment issues but haven't figured out what's causing it yet.  Some progress has been made on the briefing icons but it still doesn't work correctly.

I'm working on this as fast as I can but I'm not that familiar with the FRED code yet or Windows programming in general (I'm the Linux guy remember).  I'll get it all figured out though.  I'm putting all of my coding energy towards the background and briefing problems now so as soon as I've got that working (sometime this week) I'll put out a new build.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
How about trashing FRED completely and rewriting from scratch, using the in-game engine to render things?
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Lightspeed
How about trashing FRED completely and rewriting from scratch, using the in-game engine to render things?

That would take a little longer ;)

FRED already renders using the in-game engine, all but the interface anyway and I wouldn't want to reimplement the interface in OGL. The problem is that the FRED code is wonky and there are a few strange little hacks in there that they never would have used in the main game.

In truth I've been thinking seriously about rewriting FRED using wxWidgets so that it will work on Windows, Linux and OSX.  That would give me the opportunity to fix most problems and open up mission making to non-Win32 people.  That's not going to happen anytime soon but I have little doubt that I will get fed up with the FRED code and do the rewrite for sanity sake.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Thanks for an update. Aren't there any other SCP'ers who knows about FRED2 code and could help you out? WMCoolmon comes to mind for an example.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I think RT is the man to talk to for FRED's graphical side of things.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Yep, but RL keeps him busy
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by taylor
In truth I've been thinking seriously about rewriting FRED using wxWidgets so that it will work on Windows, Linux and OSX.

FRED working on OS X? Yes!