Author Topic: Renegade Ressurgence: problems running it.  (Read 2028 times)

Renegade Ressurgence: problems running it.
Can´t get it to work. Everytime i start, i have no primaries, and the secondaries are all screwed up, i have 80 Cyclops type missiles?!!
I was having problems after installing Inferno, wich changes the tables and ´can´t be uninstalled, so i deleted the whole thing and made a fresh install of FS2.
So, this is what i did:
-Clean Install of FS2, in the default directory.
-Patched it to 1.2.
-Installed FS_Open 3.6.
-Extracted the Renegade Ressurgence .vp to the Freespace2 folder.
-Renamed it to add a "01" on the name, so that FS2 recognized it first, as advized in the forums.
-Extracted the models to the model folder.
-And then i tried playing it, with a fresh pilot.

And it doesn´t work!! :hopping:
What´s missing here? What do i need to do to play this custom campaign?
Note that i have tried it also without FS_Open, tried with patch and without patch, tried with Inferno, and without Inferno, and came up always with the same results.
Is there anyone from the RR team around, to answer this for me?
:wtf:
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline magatsu1

Ask TopAce. Actually, IIRC simply adding the RR.vp to a normal FS install should be fine (minus any other mods)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Well, got it to work, for five minutes at least...
I now get primary weapons, but it crashes too often. I also get a message about a missing texture of the Orff cruiser.
Tried playing it in normal FS2, but it crashes just as much as playing in FSOpen. I also tried doing what they say on the text file that comes with it, i added a RR folder to the Freespace2 directory, and added a data folder inside it, where i then place the .vp file. But FS2 won´t even detect the campaign that way.
Unless i find a way to get past these constant crashes, i will have to dump the campaign...
Too bad, as it looked like it was a good one.

I also can´t get "Sol-A history" to work either. I place the various files to their rightfull location, but i can´t get it to work right either.

The problem is that each mod comes and rewrites the tables and models of eachother, and then no mod works right!
We need a way to "universalize" the various mods and campaigns, making them fully compatible. And most of all, they absolutely need an uninstall feature!!

:rolleyes:

First, remove the speffects.vp from your FS2 root directory or change the extension.

Second, you need to install them in their own folders to keep them from overwriting each other.  Do not put spaces in the folder names.

Third, run the launcher and select your mod from the 'Features' tab.

Fourth, upgrade to a more recent build.

Fifth, to uninstall, remove the data directory from the FS2 directory and remove any non-FS2/non-media pack .vp's or other game data files (missions, tables, etc.) from the root directory if there are any there.  That should get you to a clean state.  Then, when reinstalling, follow point 2.

Sixth, people are working 'universalizing' things, but I don't know how far along they are.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Pilot files are already universalised thanks to Taylor.

Mods shouldn't give you any problems as long as you follow a few simple instructions.

Installing media.vp files

These go in the Freespace2 folder. There are times when you may wish to do something else with them but at the moment all current media vp's go in the Freespace2 folder. With the exception of the original vps these are the ONLY vp files you should install to that folder

Installing mods

Make a folder for every new mod you install. When installing for instance Renegade Resurgence you should make a folder called Renegade_Resurgence (note the Underscore, do NOT use a hyphen) or simply RR. Install any vp files to this folder. Do NOT install them to RR\Data as this will not work. If the game has any loose files apart from vp's or readmes you'll need to create a data folder and place them in the appropriate subfolder.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Proof that I don't know.

Kara, did they ever replace mv_speffects.vp with the new version that doesn't interfere with mods in the packages?  I know the original can cause problems like he's having, which is why I reccomended renaming or moving it.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Re: Renegade Ressurgence: problems running it.
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
-Renamed it to add a "01" on the name, so that FS2 recognized it first, as advized in the forums.

That is guarenteed to have..............

Absolutely no effect. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FS2 looks for VP's in alphabetical order, unless you use the -mod flags. Anything not in a VP will override anything IN a VP. in order for RR.VP to take precidence over Root.VP, RR.VP has to come first alpahbetically. Which making it RR01.VP will NOT do... I don't know where you got that from, but it won't work...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
No, but 01RR.vp would come before (theoretically) all other VPs that might be hanging around.  It's a poor solution with the -mod option available, but it will do if it has to.  None of the problems he's listed sound like problems with this campaign though, more like a messy FS2 install.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Yeah... and don't forget to make a new pilot... NOT IN THE BARRAKS, ELSE IT WON'T TAKE EFFECT.

AHTW

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Moonsword
Proof that I don't know.

Kara, did they ever replace mv_speffects.vp with the new version that doesn't interfere with mods in the packages?  I know the original can cause problems like he's having, which is why I reccomended renaming or moving it.

Actually the advice you gave was pretty sound except that you weren't clear enough about renaming the vp.

As for speffects the latest downloads no longer include that vp. Lightspeeds effects have instead been folded into one of the the other vp's after being fixed so as to not break multiplayer any more.

Re: Re: Renegade Ressurgence: problems running it.
Originally posted by Hippo

That is guarenteed to have..............
Absolutely no effect. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FS2 looks for VP's in alphabetical order, unless you use the -mod flags. Anything not in a VP will override anything IN a VP. in order for RR.VP to take precidence over Root.VP, RR.VP has to come first alpahbetically. Which making it RR01.VP will NOT do... I don't know where you got that from, but it won't work...

Sorry, i wasn´t clear enough. I added "01" at he START of the name, not at the end. Stratcomm got it right. I named it "01RR_v10". Alphabetically, the numbers come first.

Nte that i already have primaries, but the problem now is constant crashing and debbugging messages.
I keep getting one, EVERYTIME i start, saying FS2 failed to find an Orff cruiser texture. I also get another message, about unexisting paths. I´ll try to get a screen of them, and post them. Give me a few minutes.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
You aren't the first person I've heard say that.  What's in your command line?  If memory serves, the texture that is missing is the nameplate on the high-poly fenris, and you either have an old media vp or are not using -jpgtga.  The nameplate is a 32bit tga with alpha channel, and if that flag isn't enabled then the game will pretend that it just isn't there.  The nonexistant paths bug is something unrelated, but it sounds like a mission debug that shouldn't be breaking your ability to play.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Re: Re: Re: Renegade Ressurgence: problems running it.
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
I keep getting one, EVERYTIME i start, saying FS2 failed to find an Orff cruiser texture.

A what? The Orff was a cruiser... How can you have an error with it before it loads any missions?

AHTW

Happens when i click the "Commit" button, after the load out.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
If it's saying that it can't find the texture 'Orff' then it can't find Orff.tga.  The cause could be one of several things, but the missing texture is the problem.  If you aren't using jpgtga, you may want to ditch the high-poly fenris.

Ok, it´s fixed now. Got it to run stable enough, using Karajorma´s method. No more crashes all the time, no more debbug messages, everything´s fine now.
Thanks for all the help. You guys rock!
:yes:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I reall am going to have to write up a proper guide to installing mods on FS2_Open. I wrote one for the Wiki but I don't think it goes deep enough.

Ok, now i´m pissed!!! :hopping:
I´ve spent over an hour shooting at the Phobos (mission 15?), only to realize it HAD A GUARDIAN FLAG!! And the Demonstration too!! Why, for goodness sake??? The objective says: destroy the Phobos. But how can i??
I hear some have managed to take it out, so... would you please share it with me? Whisper it in my ear.
:D

I could just move on, but i´m stubborn, what can i say?
;7

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I just used a cheat, but that's because I thought I was doing something wrong.  I thought the other cruiser that jumps in (I can't remember its name) was supposed to take out the Phobos, but it never did for me.