Author Topic: Packaging and releasing the SCP.  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Packaging and releasing the SCP.
Would it be possible to package and release the SCP as, um, something else? Like, could I package all the files needed to run Freespace 2 with my mod and release it (for free)?

All you need are the main VP files, the launcher, the data folder and all the sub-folders inside, the FRED2 3.5.5 exe, and the FS2 Open exe.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It's dubious, but I think it's ok so long as no one makes any money off of it and there is absolutely no content from Vanilla FS2 inside (or any derived work; sound, textures and models) included.  A TC could probably be done this way with nothing to really be concerned over as far as copyright goes; a campaign/extension of the FS story would be somewhat more complicated and (depending on who ends up with the Interplay end of the license) potentially risky, though in the hands of interplay it may be ok.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
You can release the SCP with any content you made for your own project, but you can't distribute the original FS2 content for free. In theory.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Doesnt the HOTU thing make that invalid though?
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nope. You can do it but you can't do it legally.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
There are a number of TC projects, though.  It'd be nice to have a community effort to create a 'template' FS2, i.e. a generic set of interface art .. but it's quite a time-consuming piece of work, so I guess it's pretty unlikely.  

There are probably enough mods now to out-and-out replace every FS2 ship (several times over).

Offline Cabbie

I'd be nice if a game mag would pick up SCP and all the goodies and distribute it in their CD

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
TBP R3 still has terran pilot images, squad logos, a few effects, HUD files, interface files, maps, models and sounds remaining.
Only a minority of original FS2 files but we still intend to include those with R3.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
TBP R3 still has terran pilot images, squad logos, a few effects, HUD files, interface files, maps, models and sounds remaining.
Only a minority of original FS2 files but we still intend to include those with R3.

Problem is that you can't get a mag to distribute TBP because it uses copyrighted stuff.  (I think?)

That said, TBP is a bloody good ambassador for the FS2 community as (oddly enough) WC should be.

It'll at least show off the engine and some of us are trying to at least keep the number of flame wars on the topic down... not that it's terribly successful sometimes.  There's a lot of bad blood on both sides.

Not everyone over at the CIC hates FS2, though.  Just keep that in mind.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by aldo_14
Problem is that you can't get a mag to distribute TBP

Maybe, but we aren't concerned about that.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Mr. Fury

Maybe, but we aren't concerned about that.

t'would be nice, though, you have to admit :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Do we actually have any TC's that aren't infringing copywrite somewhere?

I mean we can't distribute TBP or WCP. Is there anything we can?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
the SWC uses all staff-made artwork, models, and stuff... only thing that could be a problem with that, is the names of ship classes...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
But it's still copyrighted material, no matter who made it.  Like the SCP itself, distributing the thing for free isn't likely to get you in to any trouble, but if anyone along the line makes money off of the deal (even to defray costs) then you get into a sticky area.  What we'd need is a completely original universe, and I don't think we've got anyone working on one of those.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
We do - I just don't suspect many of them will ever be finished. Law enforcer, Woolie Wool, Killfrenzy leap to mind initially.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
You'd need more than one person to make even the most basic alternate universe SCP based game.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Almost certainly - those were just the first names I could think of who I knew had been working on it.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, wait a minute.  TBP and WC are works of fan fiction, which means they're legal to distribute as long as you don't make any money off it.  (See www.starshipexeter.com.)  You can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you make your own models and write your own missions.