Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 280995 times)

Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing
Here is my oppinion:

Max modeling and first stage export is absolute. Cob converting from 3ds. or obj is inefficient and corruption prone. I model, UV, rig, and set up my model in max. Export as POF then use PCS2 to clean up, optimize, and solidify the process and save and there, good model to go. The 3DS exporter is still an extremely viable option to me as it reduces the needed steps and programs a great deal. The collision problems happen rarely but when they do happen a re-export and loading up the rigging from the older POF will fix the problem. Simple, fast, efficient, and easy. No dealing with truespace, blender, or anything. Only Max and PCS2, no other.

MAX->PCS2->Working POF hands down.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
thats about the way i see things. that said i wouldnt mind having a pmf exporter that works exactly like the current exporter, then let pcs build all the bsp and collision trees.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'd still rather see a collada importer, assuming that most collada exporters for other programs actually work properly and can export all the necessary data.  _If_ that's true, then only one importer needs to be written instead of a dozen pmf exporters.  I'm sure there's room for both though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Is it possible to use the SDK from Rhinoceros to make a POF Exporter?
I can download the SDK tonight, I have Visual Studio 2005 to try and compile it with?
Please let me know if this is possible, I wish to make the export work with Rhinocerous 3.0 :D
I just like the software much better than Max to work with modeling.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:15:01 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I tried RHINO at school, it looked pretty cool. I can't afford 600$+ though, so Blender it is.

And also, Blender can do anything the rest can, its interface even looks suspiciously similar to that of Lightwave.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Oh I agree to some extent. I have a valid license so I am trying to utilize the tools at hand.
Also I run Rhino like a lazer through butter. I just find McNeels implementation well thought out from a designers perspective, extremely intuitive :D
The mouse controls for right and left click work visual zoom and pan perspectives while I work, it has a command line to type if I dont have the shortcut memorized, the commands make sense from a CAD perspective, and it is freaking fast to model in.
Not to mention $600 beats the livng dog doo doo out of $4g's for the secret squirrel society format of Max ( I hate Max in case you didnt notice ) :p
I can double click the upper left of any window to maximize or minimize back and forth to viewport views. The free renderer is its only shortcoming but not as important as the nuts and bolts of designing a great model. The texture wrapping is lacking, I can't map on texture sheet by locations but I can however export unwrapped surfaces to a wmf for creating textures to paint shop pro 7 with. And the menus make sense! Max is downright masochistically obtuse on its best day if it ever had one.
With Rhino, If I am trying to even guess what type of command logic word I want, the command line gives me a list of commands popping up matching the letters I type. As a progressive learning tool I have yet to see a better implementation from any CAD/Modeling platform. Autodesk has become a bully dinosaur with its interface development. Possibly by sheer Bureaucracy in spite of its diligent employees.
I get an overall vibe that Marketing rather than its customer base is driving budgets/deadlines/development, & implementations far too much in their organization for the last 4 years. On going issues with productivity have been sidelined for complex verticals that flat out cause nothing but a massive training & formatting investment cost to do the same thing they always have. The greatest innovations have been by free user forums outside of Autodesk's (ignore and hope they forget) forums. Cadalyst being the extreme exception to the overall pall Autodesks half-a$$ed product line has introduced to its loyal subscribers.
Also the Rhino implementation of robotic automation from dxf import/export is flat out a 5th of the cost of any other platform around. As a designer, I found it the best budget conscious real world application for complex design prototyping.
Of course Pro-E is the main workhorse for the really big manufacturers out there, but the little guy trying to create a new market? Rhino paid for my career reputation and budget deadlines a 100 times over.
I'm not associated with the company whatsoever, just things I have discovered over the last 20 years in a CAD based career.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:13:10 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
To answer your initial question then, I'm sure it's possible to make a POF exporter for it, but it would have to be from scratch probably.  As an alternative, if Rhino has good Collada support, that might be an option.  There is a project to add Collada support to PCS2, so you could just save as Collada and then import it into PCS2, and do the conversion there.  If you were going to put any resources into a converter, I'd suggest looking into it.  It was mentioned on the HLP front page.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Thanks Chief, I'll read into it a bit so I can get a good understanding of the file type advantages.
I was wondering if it was going to be something I would have to do from scratch or just another mere SDK conversion.
I appreciate the follow up :D
Please realize, I'm just stating my own interface preferences with a bit of background.
I know most modelers out there have their favorite platforms due to their overall experience and training.
Truth be told I was in a position where I was forced to try and learn Rhino, the first week was tough because I had years of AutoCAD so the initial approach had me feeling like a fish out of water. But Rhino was much easier for me to adopt.

I have Blender now (still learning it) and I was wondering if there was already an existing pof to blender (whatever the format is) converter.
Creator of Black Sun Corporation, the leading manufacturer of modern warfare.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
You can use PCS2 to open POFs and save them as COBs that Blender can directly open using the cob import script here: http://www.sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/truespace_import.py

And you can save COBs that you can convert straight to POF through PCS2 with Water's modified export script here: http://www.sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/truespace_FS2_Hierarchy-export.py

Both scripts go in your Blender2.46\.blender\scripts folder. The exporter has a few requirements, but the main ones you'll need to remember are:
1) Apply scale and rotation for all your objects by selecting them all in object mode and pressing Ctrl+A->apply.
2) Select all the parts you want to export, with the main hull object as your 'active' (brighter pink outline) object. To do that, you can just select all, deselect the main hull and then reselect it.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

oh. ok. thanks! Well, I've been looking at some blender tutorials, and it looks like it could actually be pretty fun! =D I look forward to testing my skills!

I'll have to check these out when I get home tonight.
I'm trying to figure out my turret component groups yet before exporting.

How do I get them t work? D: I was making a design for a shivan ship (on paper) and ended up with a terran fighter that I want to make :/ And I really would LOVE to make it, but I can't import it without the scripts. I have the scripts but I don't know how to use them... Help?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Put the appropriate file in your max/plugins folder then you should bew able to save as a .pof in the "export" diaglogue IIRC, anyone know if a max932bit plugin is anywhere?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No, you'll probably need to figure out the Collada method.  There isn't a detailed guide for it yet on Max unfortunately, but there's a few people around who have gotten it to work.

Offline Jifman

Hi there!

My name's Geoff, and I'm sort of with the Diaspora project.
I'm currently tasked with updating the POF exporter for 3ds max (9,2008 & 2009), and developing a PMF exporter.
So far I've got an extremely buggy, but exporting, version of the POF exporter for max 2009 working.
The reason I'm posting this is not to ask for testers, but to let you know that I'm working on these exporters and to let the community have a chance to be a part of the evolution of this tool, as there would not be any point in doing this if it was not to be used.

I will be starting my own thread on this, but when its more stable and a lot more bug free :D

cheers for taking the time to read this

Geoff

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Great news!  I'm guessing it will function very closely to the existing one and the wiki article on Styxx's converter about it will still apply?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Awesome Jifman!
Good luck with it!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Jifman

Yeah the new versions of the POF export will function excatly like the old one, as im using styxx's code as the baseis of the new one.
right now im updating the code to create a working version....

Offline jacek

It is really good news!! keep it up!!  :D