Author Topic: Don't hate me...  (Read 5463 times)

Offline magatsu1

anyidea about the top10 ?
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
StarCraft is 42nd?!??!?!?

BURN THE HERETICS!!!

Just for curiosity, what game was removed that was in front of FS2 for it to "climb up the ladder"?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
which game is number 1? where does good ol warcraft fall in(if at all)?
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
#1 is probably some **** like HalfLife or Doom.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

If they rate Doom 3 as number 1, i say burn the heretics too!!
It sucks big time. It´s all eye candy, and no substance.

As for FS3, i always thought the FS community should put together a set of campaigns, with new models and plot, use the SCP tech, and propose it to who owns the license. They would get a full finished product,  for no work at all. They release it, and the profit is shared by both. Both sides would come out winning.
And the space-sim community would get FS3.
It´s obvious FS3 will never come to be if it depends of Interplay, they don´t want to bother. But if you present them with a finished product, they will consider it. After all, they are in it for the bucks...
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
There is no interplay.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
also...

if it aint [v], it ain't fs3
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Originally posted by Lightspeed
There is no interplay.

I mean the guys who own the license. Interplay, foreplay, who cares?

Oh, so Volition is some sort of God, is it? If they don´t make it, it´s not FS3? That´s bull!! Volition was just a bunch of guys, programers, coders, whatever. If suddenlly they all left, and started another company, it wouldn´t be FS3?
Don´t get all worked up over Volition, they make lowsy games, and lowsy deals  too. I remember the total and complete letdown after Red Faction 2.
To be honest, i don´t care a rat´s ass about wich name appears in the box, i only care wether the game inside it is worth my 50 bucks. It doesn´t matter who makes it, it doesn´t matter what they call themselfs , the only thing that matters is making a good game, that gives justice to the FS saga. And as far as i can see, there are a lot of very capable persons right here, that could pull it off.
Remember, a game is only as good as its community. The company who releases it, or produces it is irrelevant. What matters are the people, the visionaries behind it, working backstage. They never get any recognition, only the company does. But without those men and women, the company wouldn´t even exist. So, instead of praising Volition or whatever other company, you should praise those unknown people who worked hard to give you FS.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

PS: You should also remember that Volition was, is, and will always be in it for the money. And remember that because they saw no financial gain in making FS3,  we are not playing it and talking about it now. If they had the community in mind, they would have made it regardless of any financial gain, But they didn´t.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 11:43:31 pm by 2050 »

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing

Oh, so Volition is some sort of God, is it? If they don´t make it, it´s not FS3? That´s bull!!

They have the official FS3 story; the true sequel to the series. Anything we make wont be canon, therefore the saying "if it ain't [v], it ain't fs3."

You're also forgetting - those guys are paid to make this stuff, we aren't. Look at the number of mods that are currently hanging up dry because nobody has to time to finish them, and then tell me we can finish FS3.

If the guys who had the story decide to make FS3 on their own, away from [V], then fine - i would support it with everything I had, because I know everyone else would try their best to do the same. But a user or community-made campaign doesn't have that kind of support either (look at the freespace upgrade for one).

Recently, yes, Volition have been lacking in game quality; but that doesn't mean they can't make good games. They did make FS1 and 2 after all. ;)

Oh, and one more thing - they did want to make FS3, but were prevented by doing so since Interplay held the rights and didn't let them. They never did give them up, despite numerous petitions and requests by dozens of people around the world. The issue was then dropped and we now have the ub3r l33tn3ss that is the SCP.

But a user or community-made campaign doesn't have that kind of support either (look at the freespace upgrade for one).

Look at Inferno, then. Look at Homesick, Derelict, and tell me they don´t have what it takes...
Look at SCP, then! How many of them were paid to do that work?
Seems to me some work done by non-paid users, is several times better than the original FS2 is.Sure, we don´t have huge ammounts of money to spend on voice actors, or CGI artists. But the rest, from the plot, to models, textures, mission design, and whatnot, it´s all present here. The idea is having everybody pulling in one direction, joining efforts. The capability is there, all that is needed is the will to see it through.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.

Look at Inferno, then. Look at Homesick, Derelict, and tell me they don´t have what it takes...
Look at SCP, then! How many of them were paid to do that work?
Seems to me some work done by non-paid users, is several times better than the original FS2 is.Sure, we don´t have huge ammounts of money to spend on voice actors, or CGI artists. But the rest, from the plot, to models, textures, mission design, and whatnot, it´s all present here. The idea is having everybody pulling in one direction, joining efforts. The capability is there, all that is needed is the will to see it through.

Scroll down the screen and look at the other forums; the projects where their hasnt been a post for months, if not years. For every successfull campaign, their were at least 3 failiures.

Look at the SCP? As depressing as it sounds, I'd have to point to the sheer number of bugs (my ammo! my precious ammo!) that have arisen since its inception. Hornets and Tornadoes are useless; the afterburner bug is still there; we have slowdowns with even VANILLA fs2 data and Support ships have become too stingy just to name a few. All the new improvements just spawn a new wave of bugs that have to be squashed out. Dont get me wrong - the SCP team are doing an absolutely fantastic job all around - hell, I haven't seen such sweet stuff anywhere else. But even then, they are limited in number and hte things they can do with the original code. The Ferrium project has been started, but I dont think it'll finish for a long time yet.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
V is god. They made FS, and only they can finish it properly. Fin.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Originally posted by Singh

Scroll down the screen and look at the other forums; the projects where their hasnt been a post for months, if not years. For every successfull campaign, their were at least 3 failiures.

That´s because people are pulling in diferent directions.  People have high goals, they/we often bite more than we can chew, per se. But offer them a common goal and watch as it comes together.
If you start a really good project and ask the right people to join, they will come. If there were a common goal, a common interest, if people had an FS3 project to work on, they wouldn´t have wandered off and start their own "smaller" campaigns.

Look at the SCP? As depressing as it sounds, I'd have to point to the sheer number of bugs (my ammo! my precious ammo!) that have arisen since its inception. Hornets and Tornadoes are useless; the afterburner bug is still there; we have slowdowns with even VANILLA fs2 data and Support ships have become too stingy just to name a few.

The ammo bug is due to too many mods in your Freespace directory. It´s only natural that after a while a few ships tables and weapons tables start to override themselfs out, and cause problems. But that has nothing to do with FSO, it´s all in the personnal coding skills of each individual modder.
Support ships are stingy??? Sorry, don´t know that one. Don´t use Vanilla either.
The afterburner bug is not FS_Open related, it´s Win XP related. I had that bug ages before i even considered installing FS_Open.
And let me tell you this:
The very first time i played using FS_Open, my tongue falled to the ground. I was trully amazed at the details. The lights, the reflections, the explosions, the sheer ammount of details that i never realized were there.
And what does it matter that there are a few bugs? Aren´t there bugs in everything that comes out of a computer? Atleast they don´t pretend that it is a finished product, as many do. How many times have we bought a game only to realize we need to wait for them to release a patch, to allow us even play the damn game? Have you played X2 the Threat?
:doubt:

All the new improvements just spawn a new wave of bugs that have to be squashed out. Dont get me wrong - the SCP team are doing an absolutely fantastic job all around - hell, I haven't seen such sweet stuff anywhere else. But even then, they are limited in number and hte things they can do with the original code. The Ferrium project has been started, but I dont think it'll finish for a long time yet.

As in everything in life, problems happen. And they get solved.
If we were to discard everything just because there are a few "problems", Mankind would never have gotten out of the caves.
It is a pitty that some projects don´t get finished, but people have their own lives to deal with. Sometimes real life gets in the way and prevents work to be done. But that´s hardly an excuse to stop all work alltogether, just because a few won´t get past the project stage. Allthough a few fail to complete, a few others do finish, and we should be glad they did. The game designers at Volition and any other software company do this full time, and they get paid. But the community does it for love of the game, and that is to be praised indeed.
:yes: :yes: :yes:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 03:23:30 am by 2050 »

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.

That´s because people are pulling in diferent directions.  People have high goals, they/we often bite more than we can chew, per se. But offer them a common goal and watch as it comes together.
If you start a really good project and ask the right people to join, they will come. If there were a common goal, a common interest, if people had an FS3 project to work on, they wouldn´t have wandered off and start their own "smaller" campaigns.

[/b]

And this is exactly why it wouldn't work. As much as I hate to say this - i doubt people will just abandon what their working on to come to some project that MAY just invalidate all the hard work they were doing prior to it.

That, and it sounds much like a dictatorship if you want to make everyone just drop what their doing and then work on FS3. It may happen elsewhere, but realistically, its never going to happen here i'm afraid.

The ammo bug is due to too many mods in your Freespace directory. It´s only natural that after a while a few ships tables and weapons tables start to override themselfs out, and cause problems. But that has nothing to do with FSO, it´s all in the personnal coding skills of each individual modder.
Support ships are stingy??? Sorry, don´t know that one. Don´t use Vanilla either.
[/b]

The ammo bit and the support ships are related - nobody has been able to trace the bug yet, basically its the bug whereby support ships DO NOT rearm you, making playing the original FS2 and other campaign mods unplayable. (although it has improved my flying skills, especially in homesick)

The afterburner bug is not FS_Open related, it´s Win XP related. I had that bug ages before i even considered installing FS_Open.
[/b]
Fair enough, you're right on that bit.

And let me tell you this:
The very first time i played using FS_Open, my tongue falled to the ground. I was trully amazed at the details. The lights, the reflections, the explosions, the sheer ammount of details that i never realized were there.
[/b]

I was amazed as well; astounded even.......then I focused on the mission, and realized that it had become unplayable at ~10Fps even without the new stuff.
This has been improved recently (thanks bob and taylor!!) but its still slow. As much as I hate to say it, the SCP ain't for me, simply because I dont have the muscle power to run it (at least, not yet - getting a new vid card this sunday, yippeee!!). I'm not asking for miracles here - heck, I understand that I cannot ask for speed as well as eyecandy on this old card. But when the old vanilla fS2, with no additional data and stuff runs faster than modern day FS2 with all options off and old data, its gotta mean something.

And what does it matter that there are a few bugs? Aren´t there bugs in everything that comes out of a computer? Atleast they don´t pretend that it is a finished product, as many do. How many times have we bought a game only to realize we need to wait for them to release a patch, to allow us even play the damn game? Have you played X2 the Threat?
:doubt:
[/b]

It is not just a few bugs, its a lot.
To me, FS2 cannot be played anymore, because it runs too slow. It is only mere eyecandy of a game, designed for the rich few of us with powerhouses for PCs :doubt:

As in everything in life, problems happen. And they get solved.
If we were to discard everything just because there are a few "problems", Mankind would never have gotten out of the caves.
[/b]

As I said, its not just a few problems here and there, its alot. You're basically asking that everyone ignore these problems and go ahead to make FS3, when are not logistically, or even mentally prepared to make such a leap, nor will we ever be. Don't get me wrong here - I am not totally dissing the SCP, but its just annoying to see such a rosy picture painted of it, when its not like that at all. Such optimism annoys me, is all ;) :p

It is a pitty that some projects don´t get finished, but people have their own lives to deal with. Sometimes real life gets in the way and prevents work to be done. But that´s hardly an excuse to stop all work alltogether, just because a few won´t get past the project stage. Allthough a few fail to complete, a few others do finish, and we should be glad they did. The game designers at Volition and any other software company do this full time, and they get paid. But the community does it for love of the game, and that is to be praised indeed.
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Which is why FS3 would never work if done by the community. All of us have real life jobs and commitments would intefere and you'd end up with people getting dissed at projects either being delayed or completed by others because the person had to go offline for a while. Eventually this may lead to fracturing and eventual splitting of the project. Want proof? Just look at the projects - really, really LOOK at them and see why they fell apart. These are the same reasons why such a large project would fall apart, except on a smaller scale.

No doubt, this community's love of the game is incredible, as witnessed by the advancements seen. I love this game as well, which is why I moved off other projects to come here; I gave up a lot to be here as well, and you still see my sticking around even due to the problems.

Guess my point is this: V is the only one that can develop FS3, because we sure as hell never will be able to do it the justice it deserves, and I doubt any other company could.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Night Hammer
which game is number 1? where does good ol warcraft fall in(if at all)?

GTA: Vice City

Originally posted by Deathstorm V2
I know this is a sore topic, but I thought it would be worth sharing:

Just bought the September issue of PC Gamer, and it had the following snippit:

"You practically have to be an OAP these days to remember the brilliant Freespace space combat game but, nevertheless, Part Three is being considered by Derek Smart of Universal Combat fame."

Also, Freespace moved up from 24th to 23rd in their "Top 100 Games" list for 2004.

Sorry if I repeated anything you know, but you know what happens when you search for "Freespace 3"...

Which PC gamer? my American version is a no joy for that.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Ace Pace

Which PC gamer? my American version is a no joy for that.

UK.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Originally posted by aldo_14

GTA: Vice City

:wtf: :mad:

Where is their HQ so I can pay them a visit?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Ghostavo

:wtf: :mad:

Where is their HQ so I can pay them a visit?

Personally, I agree with them.