Index the Wiki. Simply point to a wiki page answering difficult questions
5 (13.9%)
Move the entire thing to the Wiki
16 (44.4%)
Turn it into a HLP Digest with answers to Questions posed on the forums
5 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: August 24, 2004, 03:39:08 pm

Author Topic: What do I do with the FAQ?  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
What do I do with the FAQ?
Your FAQ is downloadable in a package isnt it?

How come the wiki isnt, i mean i'd love to download it and browse through it offline. But i guess the reason is coz it's updated too often (am i right?).

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The Wiki is not updated often. Look at the Recent changes window. It rather became an SCP FAQ than a FreeSpace Modding manual. When things get updated at the SCP, it goes there.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Originally posted by Pilot Of The US

See what I mean :), isn't it obvious that things are better when you can download them at least in its minimal form if possible.

How come the wiki isnt, i mean i'd love to download it and browse through it offline. But i guess the reason is coz it's updated too often (am i right?).

Like TopAce said, it's not updated often but its not downloadable because that would defy its natural concept, an online (often updated - not currently) encyclopaedia of the Freespace Universe.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
@kara - Keep your FAQ online as it is and update it as much as possible. If you a question is too hard to answer, link it to the wiki. I really like the whole downloadable package thingy.

@Xelion - Why cant we change the concept of the wiki to a "online, downloadable encyclopedia of the freespace universe?"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I didn't know that there was that much demand for the downloadable version but yeah. The current download might be a little bit out of date though (Well more out of date than the rest of the FAQ). I'll change things around when I finally get around to the big upgrade I'm planning.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
@Xelion - Why cant we change the concept of the wiki to a "online, downloadable encyclopedia of the freespace universe?"

You would need some kind of plug-in/server side-script for that I believe. Its possible although I'm not the one to contact on this, Lonestar or Sandwich is. :)

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
huh. But kara made his FAQ downloadable so easy just by saving his website into a zip file. Cant we use the same technique to make it into a downloadabe package. And say every 3-6 months a new package is compiled.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Its a Wiki not a website, I don't exactly know what the Wiki is based on, it might be possible, but every 3-6 months is pointless as data is updated quite frequently in some circumstances. I'm still not the one to contact about this, I don't operate or maintain the wiki. If I did it would be online just as is now but include several more features mostly because there are some features that can not be included in a download :).

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
My FAQ is also signifacantly smaller than the wiki :D

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

@ Karajorma, do take some time with your FAQ, placing entire parts of it in Wiki, and changing/scraping others as needed.

Thing is information overlap is good for the soul... :D
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I don't object to taking some time to fix the FAQ. What I'm worried about is that I'll have to do it again 3 months down the line.

The SCP is moving so fast that certain parts of the FAQ get old very quickly.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
Yeah,  i see your problem. Maybe you could have special 'update news' page where you can quickly announce the new stuff, link it to the wiki, and leave a warning on your FAQ that you only update it a few times a month or something like that.

Really love your download feature!