Author Topic: [FA] Retail Mission 3  (Read 15494 times)

Black Wolf, I sent you a PM regarding what I had in mind. I hadn't started on the mission itself yet but will draw out some things on paper tonight. More details would be good.

When ready I'll post a link to the mission in this thread for review and playtesting.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yeah, sorry - I got it pretty much just as I had to go to class. Replying now
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

No problem, I wasn't expecting an immediate reply as I didn't need one. I take it you're over in Australia or something because I posted that when I was about to go to bed :)

Question for BlackWolf:

What system will this mission be taking place in? (or near what system?)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Everything takes Place in Polaris to nearer the end of the camp, where it shifts to EP.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Version 1 is ready to download:

There shouldn't be any bugs (corrected a bunch) but it may have some balancing issues :)

http://knossos.firenebula.com/fs2/fa-c1m3.zip

If there are any questions about the .fs2 file let me know. I've also got some text unfinished (it may say Nth Vasudan Battlegroup) because I'm not sure which is appropriate yet.

****NOTE: That there is a newer version at the end of this thread now, so don't grab this one!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 02:11:29 pm by 1332 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Downloading it but I've got a lot of playtesting to do tonight so I can't say for certain I'll get to this today.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Tried it out - its too hard in the beggining! :(

Either that or I suck at flying - kept getting thrashed by the Cruiser and Kappa wing. you may want to consider reduce kappa's fighters or AI a bit :/
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Fergus

I also found that Beta wing usually fails to disable the cruiser(I even I killed off Kappa with cheats).  I would also keep the beams off permanantly because its annoying thinking they are off in first part, and then having them switch on and kill me(twice).
Generic signature quote blabber

Sometimes it helps if you tell Beta wing to "destroy my subsystem" when targetting the engine. I know, Beta wing is woefully inept. Most of the time they just chase it, get hit by a load of flak and then veer off without doing a darn thing. I like to engage a bit outside of flak range the Prom S. It might be an idea to also swap the Subach for Akhetons (not sure if that'd help).

I didn't think the Myrmidons were much of a problem, just tell Alpha wing to engage. But when you do so, start near the Mentu since when you attack the fighters they should still be near its AAAfs. Maybe I'll give one of the flights a difficultly level flag.

The problem with the latter part of the mission is the objective is the transport. As an Elysium, its easy to kill. As an Argo, it looks too big, and when its docked to the Alexander it gets hit by the ships own flak (mega dumb), so I switched on the beams.  Maybe I'll put in some message explaining why they don't use them in the beginning.
If you stay near the Mentu until Omega arrives, the beams shouldn't be a real problem as they'll be out of range until the Mentu makes its pass.

Anyways, there are a few errors so I'll upload a new one right away.

Offline Fergus

Also, more a recomendation for people playing it, I would load up some Stilletto II's.  Although it does take away from other sec weps, it means you can take out those flaks on the Aoulus very quickly.

Okay, I uploaded a new version where the Omega is an Elysium. I also put medium difficultly flags on Kappa and Gemini wings.

I don't think the Perseus can carry stilettos, but you can probably use them on at least the Herc mk2 (player has a choice of herc, myrm or perseus)

Offline Fergus

No, the Perseus can definetly carry em.

Okay cool. If the player fails to destroy Omega those stillettos will come in REAL handy later on too.

Anyway, I'm off to go test my mission some more.

Doh! Stupid FRED. If you downloaded the mission from my previous post and plan to play on Easy, download again because the easy or less skill level wasn't quite implemented right.

Retail Mission 3 Download

Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
Doh! Stupid FRED. If you downloaded the mission from my previous post and plan to play on Easy, download again because the easy or less skill level wasn't quite implemented right.

Retail Mission 3 Download

I beat it quite** easily. That was a good mission, Akalabeth Angel.
It was challenging, yet fun somehow.

Keep it up!

** Okay, so I was at 5% hull integrity at the end, but hey, I WON!

I prefer the 5% integrity missions to the 95% myself :)

Notice any problems (ie errors with the mission)??

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmm. Don't see any of the Expert FREDders posting so I guess I'd better take a look :D

Doh, I noticed another error (it was impossible to lose, because even if the Alex gets repaired the Damocles still fragged it).

That _should_ be fixed now. Along with Damocles warping out after Alex does. Note I just uploaded a new version :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Didn't notice that. I got killed, on easy. :o

Anyway I did notice a few things while I was playing.

1) Five ships in Beta Wing. Even FRED doesn't like this one. Although it's possible to have wings of up to 6 ships that doesn't mean you should. If you need more than four bombers to make the mission playable what you could do is this. (I'm making it so that there are 6 bombers in Beta wing rather than 5 cause I'd rather make the mission a little easier).

Delete Beta 5. Open the wings Editor for Beta and set the threshold to  2 and the waves to 2. This means that once 2 ships are killed another 2 bombers will jump in.
 Add an event using percentage-ships-destroyed to check when 2 ships in Beta wing have been destroyed (i.e percentage-destroyer > 33%). When this happens send a message from Command saying that they've managed find an extra two bombers to help and are sending them along.

Doing that will allow you to remove that ugly extra ship from beta wing without screwing up any of the events that refer to beta wing.

2) You might want to add some more vasudans to Gamma wing. Having only 1 ship present in the loadout screen looks odd.

3) Beta Wing has no primaries by default. What are they supposed to use? Harsh language? :D Seriously though, this is cause the Artemis can't actually carry the Akheton SDG they've been assigned.

Sleepy. Will check again tomorrow :)