Author Topic: Reguarding X-wing S-foil movement......  (Read 6167 times)

Reguarding X-wing S-foil movement......
Ok... I don't know what the current status of its implementation, but I figured a way to get my Aliens dropship to open and close its wings. Its all Fred work though.

I put all rotation properties on the proper subobjects and set their axis in the right spots.

Using Fred's SEXP's to disable rotation on a particular model. I then activate rotation by assinging a keystroke to its activation. To get it to stop I added a chained event to the previous keystroke event to disable rotation after a few seconds. It was tough adjusting the timing and rotation speed to get it to stop where its suppose to.

I finally add a "change model" event to the chain to replace the previous model with a different model with REVERSED rotational properties. (still glitchy, the new model kept into account the last rotational position relative to its own and the new model appears with wings at the wrong location.)

The only problem I have now (i'm a noob fredder) is having some kind of loop to this chain of events. Otherwise you can only do this the number of times its in the event editor.

Too bad firing points can't move along with a subobject and that rotation is the only means of having animation on a model. Now I'm trying to find a way to disable weapons while the wings are closed.

Its a tedious process but after 6 hours of pain I got it almost right. Must sleep now.

PS: If someone has already found a solution to this for the X-wing, please share the wealth of your discoveries.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
actually there's not implementation yet, sorry.
I'm not even sure if someone fixed the reverse rotational thing yet. It was goober (IIRC) who said he wanted to make a sexp for reverse rotations, but I dare it remained only a future plan.

The Xwing will work this way (i.e: we are planning to do it this way:p): the model will have the s-foils closed as default, you'll have to open the s-foils with a keystroke at the beginning of the mission, end of the story unless someone will make reverse rotations possible w/o changing the model.

How you can disable firing (like iirc in some training missions of fs2) or how to make a loop are questions that someone else have to answer to, since I'm not a fredder.

no solution instead for the firing points, they can't move as you already said, the only solution is to disable firing

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Firing points should follow a rotating subobject if you attach them to that subobject. It's the same story with glowpoints.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Deepblue
Firing points should follow a rotating subobject if you attach them to that subobject. It's the same story with glowpoints.

They do - that's what I had set up on the good ol' GTExD. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ack!  Somebody should have posted about this! ;) Reversing subobject rotation is a very easy sexp to create.  It shouldn't take me more than an hour to add.

I can't really spare an hour right now, though.  If it's not done by the end of the week, remind me and you'll have it by Monday. :nod:

I expect to see some forthcoming Star Wars campaigns for my trouble, though. :D

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Yes, sir!

And about the firing points...we won't have to worry about them moving anyway. The only thing we have to worry about is ... disabling firing because when the s-foils are closed, the x-wing cannot fire.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Are you gonna tie a boost in top speed to the closed S-Foils as in Rogue Squadron?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Oddly enough, in some of the literature X-Wings have fired with their wings closed. It seems to just be a convenient game mechanic. Do with that what you will.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Yeah, i've read the ooks, and in some instances, they do fire with them closed... I don't like the idea that they go faster when closed, nor do i like the idea that when they're closed, you can't shoot... Its also been showed in the books, that one can enter hyperspace with them opened... I think its purely for ayerodynamics, and laser coverage...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
developments are in the works regardeing this.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
;7

*goes to peek into SCP internal*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There's nothing in the SCP internal. :p At least, not here.  We're posting on Maxgaming until we release 3.6.5 because HLP keeps going down. :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Goober5000
Ack!  Somebody should have posted about this! ;) Reversing subobject rotation is a very easy sexp to create.  It shouldn't take me more than an hour to add.

I can't really spare an hour right now, though.  If it's not done by the end of the week, remind me and you'll have it by Monday. :nod:

I expect to see some forthcoming Star Wars campaigns for my trouble, though. :D
Nobody posted about this, even though I had it done by Monday. :(

Of course, all I did was let you switch rotation direction.  Bobboau's mod allows AI-linked rotation, which will eliminate the need for sexps. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
There's nothing in the SCP internal. :p At least, not here.  We're posting on Maxgaming until we release 3.6.5 because HLP keeps going down. :p

Yeah, I just saw that. Drat.

*goes to get himself admined at MaxGaming*

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:lol:

Maybe we could come to... some sort of... deal... :drevil:

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
eh sorry but I missed your post goober... I've been overbusy with real life in the past months, I just finished yesterday the university:)
I'll have to look for post lauream studies obviously but I should be relatively free for some months starting by now:)

Grats for your degree anyways ;)

(i also posted it in the other forum , btw..)
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
:lol:

Maybe we could come to... some sort of... deal... :drevil:

Hmm... what kind of... deal? ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, I have something you want.  And you, perhaps, have something I want.  Or, shall we say, a means to an end.  You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. :drevil:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Well.... are you going to make an official request out of it? ;)